Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken water pump bolt

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken water pump bolt

I just broke 1 of my lower water pump bolts on a stock LS 5.3!! Damned GM torque tight bolts!
How screwed am I?

Just about to FINALLY get my project on the road.

Last edited by olkarz; 02-10-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by olkarz
I just broke 1 of my lower water pump bolts on a stock LS 5.3!! Damned GM torque tight bolts!
How screwed am I?

Just about to FINALLY get my project on the road.

Did you get the pump off?
if you did get it off, the question is did the bolt freeze up in the pump or where it threads in to the block
Is the broken bolt sticking out of the hole so there is something to get hold of?
If so I would try putting some heat on just the broken bolt and as quick as possible put a pair of vise grips on it and try and work it back and forth a few times reheat and keep doing that until you can back it out of the hole.
The idea is the heat helps with rust or corrosion. If you know of some who has experience with this type of stuff that would help.

If if broke off flush or below the surface that usually is harder. in that case you need to drill it and use a easy out or drill and install a helicoil.
What ever you do take your time as I have seen many of these types of repairs turn into big problems.

I wish you luck

Knick
Old 02-10-2017, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Knick
Did you get the pump off?
if you did get it off, the question is did the bolt freeze up in the pump or where it threads in to the block
Is the broken bolt sticking out of the hole so there is something to get hold of?
If so I would try putting some heat on just the broken bolt and as quick as possible put a pair of vise grips on it and try and work it back and forth a few times reheat and keep doing that until you can back it out of the hole.
The idea is the heat helps with rust or corrosion. If you know of some who has experience with this type of stuff that would help.

If if broke off flush or below the surface that usually is harder. in that case you need to drill it and use a easy out or drill and install a helicoil.
What ever you do take your time as I have seen many of these types of repairs turn into big problems.

I wish you luck

Knick
Naaah Knick... It broke off when I was trying to use 1 of those inch/lbs torque wrenches to tighten down those blasted GM 1 time use bolts ! Dogon thing never clicked at 11lbs so the bolt broke while I was installing the water pump, bottom right bolt.
Hopefully there a enough threads left where i can at least put a nut on it and weld the nut to whatever is sticking out. I should be able to back it out then...

lesson to everyone.... 11-15 lbs of torque is just slightly over hand tightened

Last edited by olkarz; 02-10-2017 at 11:17 PM. Reason: added text
Old 02-12-2017, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Naaah Knick... It broke off when I was trying to use 1 of those inch/lbs torque wrenches to tighten down those blasted GM 1 time use bolts ! Dogon thing never clicked at 11lbs so the bolt broke while I was installing the water pump, bottom right bolt.
Hopefully there a enough threads left where i can at least put a nut on it and weld the nut to whatever is sticking out. I should be able to back it out then...

lesson to everyone.... 11-15 lbs of torque is just slightly over hand tightened
11-15 in lbs is not very much, remember a torque wrench is most accurate at the upper end of its range. Was this a new bolt?
as long as the bolt did not bottom in the hole I would think is would be loose in the threads and that would make it much easier to remove the broken piece.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

If it broke going in the situation is probably not that bad. Once the head breaks off there is most likely no tension on the threads. If its sticking out pliers should get it.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If its broke down in the block get some small left handed drill bits, If it doesnt come out with those use an easy out.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:31 AM
Teching In

Couldn't have been a worst outcome than I could imange...

broken off flush at the block. I tried to tack weld another bolt to it and then try to reverse it out but that didn't work....<br/>Sooooo now the real work begins...

Old 02-20-2017, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Couldn't have been a worst outcome than I could imange...

broken off flush at the block. I tried to tack weld another bolt to it and then try to reverse it out but that didn't work....<br/>Sooooo now the real work begins...

Im surprised it was that tight, wondering if somehow it bottomed out?

If you use a easy out make sure you don't twist that off, or you will have problems

Hope it all works out

Last edited by Knick; 02-20-2017 at 06:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-28-2017, 12:48 AM
Teching In

I had to completely drill out the broken bolt and rethread the hole. Purchased the ARP water pump bolts and now everything is ALL GOOD! drilled it slightly off center but I was able to get the water pump installed without any future issues

Quick Reply: Broken water pump bolt