Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just to make sure...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Just to make sure...

OK, I have a couple of (probably n00b) questions regarding my L92... (And yes, I did search before posting, but didn't find what I was looking for.)

First off, when I removed the original truck-style oil pan, I noticed some pale-yellow pastelike stuff on it at the corners (it hadn't completely dried, so I guess it could be some kind of RTV...). (I'm guessing that it's an updated equivalent to the RTV that I've seen used on places like the front/rear of a traditional SBC's intake manifold. Is anyone able to confirm this?) Since I don't have any of that stuff, & I'd really prefer not to take an hour to run to the "stealership" to get some, wouldn't I be OK if I just used some blue or black RTV in those locations?? I'm using a new Fel-Pro gasket on it...

Second, since it's an oil pan from an F-body, it has that sensor going in from the pass. side. The truck ECM & harness don't have any provision for that, but there's nothing wrong with leaving it, is there? (I'm pretty confident that this will be OK, just want to be sure that there's not something that I'm overlooking/not aware of.)

Thanks all.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, a couple of small dollops where the front and rear covers meet the block will ensure a leak free install. I use Yamabond, but a little black RTV, should be ok.
And yes leaving the low oil sensor in the pan disconnected is ok. They do sometimes leak through the sensor portion (middle). Canton makes the proper size plug to eliminate this from the pan.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks veee8, I do appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Just to make sure...