Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

2010 Camaro LS3 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Camaro LS3 upgrades

I have a few questions regarding some upgrades for the LS3.

I want to change the stock cylinder heads and camshaft on a LS3. I was thinking of going with the CNC L92 Heads (88958698) and Hotcam kit (12480033).

I know I have to change the valve springs which is why I chose the kit opposed to hotcam only. However, I'm not sure whether I need any other components to make the swap. Will some of the parts currently on the stock heads fit the L92 or do I need a fleet of new parts (such as rockers, lifters...)? Or should I just get a complete kit like the GMP2713-3?

Also, I've read that you can use LS6 hollow stem valves on the L92 opposed to the stock LS3 valves. Should I get the hollow stem valves?

Thank you,
Mike
Old 02-11-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the ls3 intake valves are hollow stem, its the l92s that arent, and the ls6 valves are way too small for the ls3 head.
i would not go with the hotcam for an ls3, check out some other companys for your cam, i went with lg motorsports g6x3. if you get an auto equiped camaro your going to have run into problems because they use afm (active fuel management) cuts off half the cylinders when cruising, i dont know what youd have to do to run aftermarket cams with that stuff.
i know most aftermarket lsx cams are bolted to the timing assembly with three bolts but stock ls3 uses one so youll have to change out atleast the top gear.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The Hot Cam is just fine.

It really depends on what you are looking for. Cams seem to get more than thier share of marketing hype.

If your looking for the latest buzz on the internet or a flashy name then the Hot Cam might be a little dated.

If you hold tight there will be a magazine with some good information about cams in the LS3.

Robin
Old 02-15-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by t/a98
the ls3 intake valves are hollow stem, its the l92s that arent, and the ls6 valves are way too small for the ls3 head.
i would not go with the hotcam for an ls3, check out some other companys for your cam, i went with lg motorsports g6x3. if you get an auto equiped camaro your going to have run into problems because they use afm (active fuel management) cuts off half the cylinders when cruising, i dont know what youd have to do to run aftermarket cams with that stuff.
i know most aftermarket lsx cams are bolted to the timing assembly with three bolts but stock ls3 uses one so youll have to change out atleast the top gear.
Comp cams has the single-bolt cam cores for these engines, just so u know
Old 02-16-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh thats cool, mine was ground by comp but the company that gave them specs for it doesnt even sell one bolts for the ls3, there all three bolt, i called to make sure so id know what timing assembly to order.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Robin L
The Hot Cam is just fine.

It really depends on what you are looking for. Cams seem to get more than thier share of marketing hype.

If your looking for the latest buzz on the internet or a flashy name then the Hot Cam might be a little dated.

If you hold tight there will be a magazine with some good information about cams in the LS3.

Robin
I agree! GM has spent countless millions and years of research to develope performance cams for GM engines. I can't see even a killer aftermarket cam company like Comp or Lingenfelter doing much more to improve whats there by enough to warrant the work unless you are out to squeeze every last possible horse out of a pet combination. But...That's just my unpopular two cents worth. lol
Old 02-17-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea but the millions spent on designing the hotcam were before the rectangle port heads came out, cathedral port and rectangle port are two very differnt ball games... and im not saying that any cam is the end all be all, weve all seen how much better cams have gotten since the introduction of the ls1... its just a waiting game, i just feel that lg has a good cam and that it will be competitive for many years while we wait for the cam guys to figure out what this motor really really likes...
Old 02-17-2009, 09:23 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by t/a98
yea but the millions spent on designing the hotcam were before the rectangle port heads came out, cathedral port and rectangle port are two very differnt ball games... and im not saying that any cam is the end all be all, weve all seen how much better cams have gotten since the introduction of the ls1... its just a waiting game, i just feel that lg has a good cam and that it will be competitive for many years while we wait for the cam guys to figure out what this motor really really likes...

I didn't say that the Hot Cam would squeeze every last ounce of power from his LS3. And it's true that the Hot Cam has been around for a long time.

Still it's not a "bad cam" as some would like you to think.

Stay tuned, should have some comparison info soon.

Robin
Old 02-17-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea i can agree with that
Old 02-17-2009, 07:49 PM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the information.

I'm not into racing or anything, I just want something more than the Camaro offers. I think that 422 lb.ft. of torque for a 3860 pound car is low...

I looked at various torque curve from different cams. These included both Hotcam and LG cam. I'd have to say that the hotcam seems to have a very nice curve that seem to fit my driving style.

Quick Reply: 2010 Camaro LS3 upgrades