Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Should I advance my cam timing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I advance my cam timing?

I just picked up a comp cams grind # XER273HR. The cam is a 224/230 .581/.588 114LSA 112ICL. (here is their online cam card for more detail http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/Ca...csid=1092&sb=2)

This is going in a 2006 AWD Trailblazer SS, its got FULL bolt ons, and a completely stock longblock (until the cam goes in). The truck weighs in at 4500lbs with me in it, also has a Vig. 3600 stall, and I run on (4) 275/40/17 DRs at the track, effectively making the gear ratio a 4.80.

I was planning on installing the cam straight up, without degreeing, dot to dot. Ive also got an adjustable timing set that I really dont want to put on because the oil pump is going to be a pain in my ***.

There are a few people who suggested advancing the cam timing 4* to pick up some more power down low. Id hate to install this straight up and be wondering if I left some power on the table.

My two concerns are that I am already running a 3600 stall, which stalls closer to 3800 now, and the cam will likely make it stall even higher. Do I even need the bottom end at that point? The second part, is that Im not degreeing the cam. It doesnt bother me when installing it straight up, but messing with the cam timing and not degreeing it has me worried a bit.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:15 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say that unless you've got the degree wheel kit, it's a waste of time to mess with your cam timing. It could be advanced more than what the cam was designed for already due to machining variance in the timing set and camshaft. It could actually need to be retarded a few degrees (get your giggles out kiddos!).

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the straight forward answer, now I can sell my timing set to recouperate some of the install costs.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good advice. Unless you are going to try different cam timings on a dyno to prove it out, you are better to go straight up.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by racecar
Good advice. Unless you are going to try different cam timings on a dyno to prove it out, you are better to go straight up.
Not necessarily. You should always degree the cam in to make sure that it is installed as specified. My cam needed 2° of advance to get it installed as specified.

That's like just throwing in a random length push rod without measuring to determine what you really need.