Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Whats the big secret with ls3 cam specs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the big secret with ls3 cam specs?

I have searched and searched. The ls3 has been out for 2 years now and still everyone is secretive about the specs of the cams they are using. I have read so much conflicting stuff for instance I have read that you want a cam with a wide split, and I have read that you dont need a wide split. It seems that people are putting bigger cams in the ls3's like 238/248 for example. Why can you just put any old cam in there like tr224 or ms3 ? Reason for asking is that a friend is getting a 2010 camaro ss m6 and wants to put a cam in it and is runing into same vauge info that Iam finding.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by redsap05
I have searched and searched. The ls3 has been out for 2 years now and still everyone is secretive about the specs of the cams they are using. I have read so much conflicting stuff for instance I have read that you want a cam with a wide split, and I have read that you dont need a wide split. It seems that people are putting bigger cams in the ls3's like 238/248 for example. Why can you just put any old cam in there like tr224 or ms3 ? Reason for asking is that a friend is getting a 2010 camaro ss m6 and wants to put a cam in it and is runing into same vauge info that Iam finding.

Like any other cylinder head, you need the right valve events, intake/exhaust flow % has alot to do with the larger exhaust durations.

You have an intake port on L92/LS3 heads that flows to the point that if you open the intake too early you run into flow reversion. The cam we used in a G8 GT only had 4º split and produced 70rwhp peak gain. So to say you need XXº split is over generalization.

Mind you this graph is with the converter locked to 4300rpm, peak numbers are unlocked, green line is stock, red line after cam, LT headers, converter

For that cam I had an idea in mind of the intake lobe IVO and IVC, didn't see a reason for the exhaust lobe open before 52º BBDC, and theirs obviously no reason for the exhaust to close after TDC, we're not targeting large overlap number.

The LS3 gives us a high flowing cylinder head, high compression, larger bore, responds very well to cam upgrade.

Hope this helps

let me know if you need anything
Fraser

Last edited by Fraser@SpeedInc; 07-13-2009 at 01:38 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Besides a friend of mine getting the ls3 camaro, I have been contemplating doing the ls3 heads/intake on my ls2 gto. I saw someone used the comp 224/230 cam and got unreal results. Everything I have seen for ls3 head uses a wide split. I think Iam also going to use that comp 224/230 cam, Its 581/581 lift on a 114. Is this a good choice, I think Iam right path as far as cam specs. All I doing now is waiting to see if gmpp comes out with the 65cc small bore l92 heads anytime soon. They have them in the 09 catalog already.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should talk to Pat G about specing you a custom cam.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...p-446rwtq.html

Almost 450rwtq is incredible for such a small cam on factory l92 heads.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Everything I have seen for ls3 head uses a wide split.
Not everything.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 8ByGoat
Not everything.

Now correct if Iam wrong so no offence taken. The reason everyone uses the wide split is because the intake side flows so much more than the exhaust side. You had some port work done on the exhaust side which equaled out that ratio which in turn allowed you to get better results with out a wide split cam. Just a theory, could be right or wrong, It really dont matter. Thats kind of my point with the op is that still after two years of being around there is still alot of "theory" going around about these heads and cams to go with them. Congrats to you putting a good combo togther, your track times back it up. If mine runs what your running I'll be really happy.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

my cam is a pretty wide split, but with not very much overlap. its also a pat g spec
Old 07-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Banned

The reason everyone uses the wide split is because the intake side flows so much more than the exhaust side.
Wider the LSA, the later the intake opens, later the intake closes, earlier the exhaust opens, closes earlier. ie I'm saying any duration at 114 vs. 118. LSA.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Now correct if Iam wrong so no offence taken. The reason everyone uses the wide split is because the intake side flows so much more than the exhaust side. You had some port work done on the exhaust side which equaled out that ratio which in turn allowed you to get better results with out a wide split cam. Just a theory, could be right or wrong, It really dont matter. Thats kind of my point with the op is that still after two years of being around there is still alot of "theory" going around about these heads and cams to go with them. Congrats to you putting a good combo togther, your track times back it up. If mine runs what your running I'll be really happy.
My heads are just "cleaned up" on the exhaust side. This was done by hand.

Thing is there is no one way to cam a car with L92/LS3 heads no matter what anyone says.

Cam specs

232/236 600/600 113lsa
Old 07-13-2009, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best way to spec a cam is to have the heads flowed to see were the ratio is. This will help the cam people like Pat to choose a cam for you. But more importantly he will need to know the rest of the combo and what your expected goals are as well as the real use of the vehical. I am using these heads on my engine and due to the port work I do not need the wide split, but due to the turbo I will need less exhaust then intake duration. My point is there is more to choosing a cam then just the heads, thats why some people use alot of split and some do not with these heads. Talk to the sponsors directly about your goals and I am sure they will lead you in the right direction. Do not buy a cam because your buddy likes it or because you want monster cam specs.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

U dont need a huge split to make them work well. Its like a prostock head massive intake tiny ex. The small ex increase port velocity that makes overlap much more efficient as it sucks air thru the lazy intake. On a stroker not as critical. Dont go to big on intake ie 228 and stick with a 4 deg split and run a early ex open and later intake open to avoid reversion. Keep overlap down. In saying that tuned a lot of 6L with advance in the cam and they drive very nicely. Its not so much the advance but ex bias overlap and keeping overlap down around the 0 deg mark. The later IVO increases port velocity but then you lose on dynamic compression so mill the heads to raise comp by half a point and open the intake after top dead centre. On a stroker u cam them different. They arent as fussy plus no need for wider splits to reduce reversion or late ICL as the long stroke cures those issues. The 226 232 114+0 Is a nice cam for these with comprwssion bump
Old 07-15-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Lots of advice here. A small amount of it good. Do more research and talk with someone who has actually successfully cam'd these builds for your purposes.

I ran a 234-240 112 +0 XE-R in my 403 and it made great power everywhere. My current cam has less overlap on a tighter LSA and makes more power everywhere - again.

Last edited by WKMCD; 07-15-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:56 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We have numerous camshafts going into our test LS3 engine on the engine dyno hopefully next week. If you can wait a few weeks I promise we'll find some good camshaft options for the LS3. Just because some shop says a camshaft works well for a certain application doesn't actually mean they've tested different options. The key to producing the best possible camshafts is by testing a huge variety of camshafts in a effort to maximize power output for your desired rpm range.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 07-16-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hymey
U dont need a huge split to make them work well. Its like a prostock head massive intake tiny ex. The small ex increase port velocity that makes overlap much more efficient as it sucks air thru the lazy intake. Dont go to big on intake ie 228 and stick with a 4 deg split and run a early ex open and later intake open to avoid reversion. Keep overlap down. In saying that tuned a lot of 6L with advance in the cam and they drive very nicely. Its not so much the advance but ex bias overlap and keeping overlap down around the 0 deg mark. The later IVO increases port velocity but then you lose on dynamic compression so mill the heads to raise comp by half a point and open the intake after top dead centre. On a stroker u cam them different. They arent as fussy plus no need for wider splits to reduce reversion or late ICL as the long stroke cures those issues. The 226 232 114+0 Is a nice cam for these with comprwssion bump
Guy that built my car over 2 years ago stated the exact same thing which is why we went with the cam we did in my 6.0.

Glad we did.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Launching!

I have swapped one so far on a friends car....230/234 on a 114 (Predator Cams from Mt. Carmel PA)
We put it in straight up...I would have liked to see it 2 or 3* advanced.

2008 C6, kooks headers, cold air intake. Lot of time spent tuning....put down 501rwhp and 455 rwtq SAE on a dynojet
I was pleased (and jealous LOL)
Old 07-16-2009, 05:14 PM
FormerVendor

G6X3 has put down some of the most impressive numbers cam only, Heads/cam, and stroker with stock heads.

507/460 cam only, heads/cam 520/484, stroker LS3 with stock heads 540/540.

It takes some tuning, if you want one of the top 3 most bad *** LS3 cams on the market, its hard to go wrong
Old 07-16-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Louis
G6X3 has put down some of the most impressive numbers cam only, Heads/cam, and stroker with stock heads.

507/460 cam only, heads/cam 520/484, stroker LS3 with stock heads 540/540.

It takes some tuning, if you want one of the top 3 most bad *** LS3 cams on the market, its hard to go wrong
No doubt it is a great cam and the #'s you posted are great (they would be considerably less in a GTO though).

FWIW I know of an M6 GTO with the G6X3 in it and an L92 top end and it made 461/421. There is an M6 GTO with the cam I run and it made 479/430.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Quick question here -

Comp cams grinds a lot of the custom cams out there. Are they solely a grinding company, or do they do R&D on appropriate grinds for relatively stock motors? Seems like they would be in a good position to do a lot of dyno testing to come up with good grinds for stock LS3, LS7 etc.

If so, are builders using Comp's expertise to come up with grinds, or is everyone out there dyno testing their own home brews?

Tom
Old 07-16-2009, 09:48 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Most of the shops don't really do much testing camshafts side by side in search of hp. That's the exact reason we spent over $70,000 on our new engine dyno cell. I've been able to spend a lot more time on camshaft developement searching for the best all around hp camshafts for our customers. Rest assured I'll be working the LS3 engines over very shortly in search of power across the board. I'll make sure to compare some of the popular competitors camshafts also so we get a good look at how our camshafts compare...
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
The following users liked this post:
jneesam (03-04-2023)
Old 07-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Launching!

the cam I posted about above, is $375 custom ground...guess it is close to one of the top performers? We called Predator and asked some questions.....slapped it in and it worked. That is for the single bolt core which is more expensive...if you want to change timing set to 3 bolt you can shave $75 off

Quick Reply: Whats the big secret with ls3 cam specs?