Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

High oil pressure blowing out filter gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High oil pressure blowing out filter gaskets

I'm tossing in a GPP LS3 in a 70 Camaro. Everything was going well till start up. I have a Transmission controller issue and a oil pressure issue. I had the local engine builder go over the LS3. He installed a new cam and valvetrain, ever since then I can't even start it with out the gauge going to 100psi and it blowing out the oil filler gasket. At first, I thought it was a bad oil filter. I replaced it and it did it again. The engine guy said he'll stop by in the next week or so to look at it. Does anyone have any Ideas whats going on? It does have a F body oil pan. Could that be it? Could it be a dod issue?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2009, 10:49 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Maybe a sticking pressure regulator valve in the oil pump. Or could just be too much oil pump for the engine clearances if it has the DOD pump (higher volume and pressure). Highly unusual for either to have that much pressure at idle though.

Last edited by -Joseph-; 09-24-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
Maybe a sticking pressure regulator valve in the oil pump. Or could just be too much oil pump for the engine clearances if it has the DOD pump (higher volume and pressure).
Probably too much pump. I lost an ls3 to one of those pumps. Sucked the pan clean dry at the track, even with 6+ quarts in it.

I had 60-80+ psi
Old 09-24-2009, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
Maybe a sticking pressure regulator valve in the oil pump. Or could just be too much oil pump for the engine clearances if it has the DOD pump (higher volume and pressure). Highly unusual for either to have that much pressure at idle though.
And it only take a split second for it to get there. Both times it did it, it ran for about 5 seconds before the oil filter gave out.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:29 PM

I'd look at the pump first, but where are you taking your pressure reading at?
Old 09-24-2009, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Top rear of the engine, behind the intake. Theres a boss on the valley cover.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:57 PM

Ok, just making sure it wasn't between the filter and pump. If it has that much pressure that far from the pump, it doesn't seem like it would be a restriction or blockage. My best thought is to look into the oil pump, that is where the pressure regulator is, even with the DOD pump, it should be closer to 60-70 I'd think, oil weight plays a factor, but your high by 40psi or so easily (maybe a lot more than 100psi even).
Old 10-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Teching In

The engine builder came by yesterday. He removed the oil pump. Then checked the spring inside of the pump. It was a thick red one. He told me that my LS3 was sent to him from GM as a kit due to the fact that we were throwing in a few upgraded part. His thoughts are that they gave us a DOD (displacement on demand) pump that has a heck of alot more oil pressure then a regular LS3. To be on the safe side we tossed in another complete pump. Now it levels off at 50 lbs.

Now I have another problem, It wont stay running longer then 15 seconds. It'll start then shut right down. I checked for a MIL but nothing. I hope the engine guy did'nt forget to connect somthing.
Since it was blowing out the oil filters on startup. I have no idea if it would have ran longer then that. all my sensors are plugged in. Its always something!
Old 10-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

make sure the cam sensor is plugged in

Quick Reply: High oil pressure blowing out filter gaskets