Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

g8 afm vvt cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default g8 afm vvt cam swap

hi everyone as you can tell by the post counter this is my first post on ls1 tech. i am planning on doing a cam swap on a 09 g8 gt for a freind of mine and had a few questions. i will be replacing the cam, installing non dod lifters and trays, pushrods, valve springs, and i also have the non dod valley cover, a 4x 3 bolt cam gear, non dod oil pump, and a non vvt timing cover ls3 if i remember correctly. i will be tuning out dod and vvt asap. i have done several ls1 cam swaps on camaros and vettes, and my lt1 camaro butall were non afm and non vvt. i was hoping someone could help me out and tell me if they think i am missing somthing. normally i would not be concerned but this is my buddys only transportation and i need to get it done in one day so he can get to work on monday. so if i am overlooking somthing i would really like ti know. any help or sugestions would be much appreciated.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:43 PM

nobody has done this yet? nobody even wants to say, "try the search function noob"?
can anyone recomend a site or board with some good info on this?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

get a VVT cam from comp, tune the DoD out and gain 70hp. If you lose the VVT you'll lose a ton of low-end.. keep it to gain high-end and keep/gain low-end.

Just my $0.02...

also, afaik, VVT cams are cheaper. Look at the Comp XFI VVT line and look at the power gains.

Last edited by pillagenburn; 10-22-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:49 PM

ive already got a cam, while i cant recall the specs off the top of my head i know its too agressive for vvt. thanks for the input though.
my main concern is if i have all the parts ready to go to delete the vvt.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

the stock timing cover is not an issue however make sure to run an ls2 timing chain dampner. looks like you got everything else... good luck! oh and g8s dont have vvt only DOD

Quick Reply: g8 afm vvt cam swap