Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Stumped: LS2 Oil dissapearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumped: LS2 Oil dissapearing

Ok as the title says, I'm utterly baffled here, and would appreciate any ideas.

My LS2 (Corvette) is eating 1 qt per 200 miles or so and I have no idea where it is going. The pan, front cover, and bell housing area are bone dry. There is no evidence of seepage around the gasket, the filter, or the drain plug. There is not a drop on the garage floor. I even ran the car in the garage for 20mn at different RPMS, thinking one of the oil cooler lines might be leaking under pressure. Nothing. Not one drop.

And the engine does not appear to be burning it. Had my wife do a couple of WOT runs and (tried) to follow. There was a bit of smoke, but it was rich gas, not oil.

So, where the hell can this be going?

For info, this is a H&C modded engine, 224/228 XER, CNC'd 243s, FAST, Kooks LTs, ported oil pump. It has a catch can installed, but seems to lose very little oil through there.

I'd appreciate any ideas.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:22 PM
9 Second Club

That is ALOT of oil. Boy i'd sure think if it were going thru the cylinders at that rate you would see some evidence of oil burn. Have you pulled any of the plugs to check the threaded portion? Cant see the PCV system causing the motor to ingest quantities like that.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Teching In

After reading the other thread, I think that will be my next step, along with seeing how much oil is in the intake. Then I guess a leakdown test is in order, though the motor consumed no oil prior to the cam.

The problem started recently and pretty suddenly.

There is also a fair bit of ticking going on, more than before I think. Wondering if I have a bad valve guide or something.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the third LS2 thread I've read in the last few days with this same problem.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6138642

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339155

Good luck!
Gerry
Old 10-26-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have seen other type of vehicule burn oil and not smoke, when the cats get hot enough they completly burnt the oil with no smoke residue.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:05 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see you have ported heads, did you use sealant when installing the rocker bolts? The cats will do a good job cleaning up some of the oil smoke.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, that covers the smoke issue (I have the catted LTs). Hellbent, I'll look to see if sealant was used on the bolts that stick through. My tuner is very experienced, but one never knows what is going on in the mind of a guy burning the midnight oil to get an engine build done.

I suspect this might not be the issue, however, as the onset of oil consumption is recent and pretty sudden. I'm suspecting valve guides or rings. The bottom end of the motor is all factory and I think some 05 cars were affected by ring issues. Mine is a low miler (21K) so maybe it's rearing it's head now, who knows.

A leakdown test is definitely in order.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yank the valley cover and see if it is sealing properly. The LS2 has the same pillars used for DOD on other models and most engine builders thread and plug the holes to prevent this type of oil comsumption issue.

Check this out....scroll down about two pages to "Building the LS2"

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/hotCars.php?car=66

One of the first things we did after we had the machine work done to the new LS2 block, was to drill and tap the displacement on demand holes for pipe plugs. Plugging the holes assures that pressurized oil won't be leaking from them.

Last edited by ViaBellator; 10-28-2009 at 08:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Stumped: LS2 Oil dissapearing