Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Using truely gapless rings...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Using truely gapless rings...

I have an LS7 with 12:1 compression. The rings people recommended against gapless rings. But I seem to get alot of condensed water in the blow by. Alot, with the normal gapping, well installed rings. I want to change the rings to true gapless despite them, for this problem, but am afraid to. Nobody give me a good reason not to. Can someone explain this?

Edit: Sorry not clear. I get alot of water condensation in the oil pan, much more than my stock LS7 engine. If I am not conscientious about getting the oil real hot every time it gets a muddy opaque appearance, which clears up with the temp 220*F boil it off. I'm not losing radiator fluid or anything. I know it's just blow by, but I want to reduce that. So, my focus is directed to the rings.

Last edited by kelp; 03-28-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really understanding the water thing. Explain a little more please.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are having excess blowby-the rings are not the problem.The problem is the bores are not round and straight.Putting in a gapless ring will not help this condition.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fafnir
although there have been random people having failures with gapless rings, there are more success stories than there are failures; there are a lot of people who are blaming other problems onto the ring design

if you do get gapless rings, make sure that you follow the instructions perfectly and that the right specifications are selected - e.g. piston design is compatible

they are a bit more sensitive to stuff like out of spec ringlands and piston dimensions, but if spec-ed properly, should be as good or better than *most* conventional ring designs

-also, do not use a gapless 2nd ring, only top ring, because they seal well enough that if a gapless 2nd ring is used, the top ring will be deprived of oil; see piston designs that only have two sets of rings with a gapless top ring for reference

_
Thank you. There might be several reasons against true gapless rings for these LS motors. I may just try it for the top ring. I welcome other opinions, even speculations.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This one is old as the hills and you can do many searches. There's a reason the rings that are in cars from the factory are the way they are right from Honda or Mercedes or Ford or GM or Lamborghini etc. Your problems lie elsewhere and in fact many OEM engines as well as aftermarket do get condensation in them even just sitting around when NOT running. We see it all the time and it is annoying but the rings aren't causing it.

Quick Reply: Using truely gapless rings...