Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 crankshaft balance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 crankshaft balance?

Is the crankshaft on a LS2 balanced internally or externally with flywheel & harmonic balancer pulley together?

The reason I ask is that I marked the balancer & the crankshaft with a sharpe after removing the crankshaft/harmonic balancer bolt, and when I rotated the crank to line up the dot to dot on the cam gear and crankshaft gear the sharpe rubbed off the crank. I think I know where the mark was, but I'm scratching my head wondering if I have it right.

Should I just scrape the stock balancer and go with a underdrive pulley that is balance neutral and hope for the best?

Thanks
Old 11-09-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its neutral. Just bolt it on and you're ok.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes, the flywheel only goes on in one spot i beleive and the balancer is 0 balanced.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:31 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by jdblack7
Is the crankshaft on a LS2 balanced internally or externally with flywheel & harmonic balancer pulley together?

The reason I ask is that I marked the balancer & the crankshaft with a sharpe after removing the crankshaft/harmonic balancer bolt, and when I rotated the crank to line up the dot to dot on the cam gear and crankshaft gear the sharpe rubbed off the crank. I think I know where the mark was, but I'm scratching my head wondering if I have it right.

Should I just scrape the stock balancer and go with a underdrive pulley that is balance neutral and hope for the best?

Thanks
The stock damper is neutral balanced. Externally balanced cranks (SBF/BBC) typically have a keyway to locate the damper, but the internally balanced LSx cranks do not. It's just a press fit and a bolt to hold it on.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks for your inputs, I really appreciate the insight and now I can stop worrying whether I screwed or not.

Now that I know the damper is neutral balanced, is it worth the $199.00 or so to go with a underdrive pulley? I think I've heard that you'll get about 5 to 10 HP increase? I don't have any plans to install a subwoofer or any other additional electronics in the future so is it worth the additional money to tweak out another few horsepower?

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: LS2 crankshaft balance?