Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cheapest way to 500RWHP in an aluminum block?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heads/Cam setup on LS2 or LS3 should be well over 500 to the wheels.. on a DynoJet that is
Old 01-13-2014, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Gotcha, more power to you. Don't see many NA setups making big power these days. Have you seen the OBX ITB setup for $1300?

OBX itb Individual Throttle Body Chevy Corvette LS1 LS2 LS6 SFD52 itb Kit | eBay
Yes, I have looked at them but there is almost ZERO information about them other than they have some sticking issues. I am fairly certain that I could spend some delicate hours with a dremel and resolve that if it's the only problem but I am not sure if it's worth taking a $1300 chance on something I KNOW is sub-par.

The thing is...it's $2500 cheaper than any other option!

I absolutely have considered it but that route would be about the same price as a Fast 102 with a 102mm throttle body, which has proven results.

Have you seen anyone else with that setup?
Old 01-13-2014, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't heard anything good about the OBX itb set up....or any OBX product for that matter....in the world of "performance engines" you really get what you pay for....you generally pay more for the engineering and R&D behind a product than anything else...
Old 01-13-2014, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Briou
I haven't heard anything good about the OBX itb set up....or any OBX product for that matter....in the world of "performance engines" you really get what you pay for....you generally pay more for the engineering and R&D behind a product than anything else...
Right and the Jenvey system is priced extremely well compared to some of the other proven ITB setups.

I am a good ways off from the intake and top end purchases so I am going to keep my eyes out for deals.

My garage got it's first coat of paint this past weekend. Should have the cabinets done and air lines run by the end of January and then the party starts!
Old 01-29-2014, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

I can tell you first hand that the OBX copy will stick on you when they get hot . I am the Jenvey dealer here in the USA .They do look good on a engine and the work BUT IT WILL STICK and drive you nuts .If you have a LS7 OBX do not cover that one yet but they will copy it soon also they do not offer a custom set up for your engine ie the OBX kit is only 52mm and the jenvey kit is from 52mm-60mm kit it all come's down to what you need for your engine
Most of the OBX kits are copy of TODA and Jenvey
Old 01-29-2014, 02:08 PM
8 Second Club

Received 677 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by bug man nrg
I can tell you first hand that the OBX copy will stick on you when they get hot . I am the Jenvey dealer here in the USA .They do look good on a engine and the work BUT IT WILL STICK and drive you nuts .If you have a LS7 OBX do not cover that one yet but they will copy it soon also they do not offer a custom set up for your engine ie the OBX kit is only 52mm and the jenvey kit is from 52mm-60mm kit it all come's down to what you need for your engine
Personally If a sticky throttle is the only problem on the OBX unit, and it's $2500 cheaper than it's closest competitor, I'd "fix" the OBX unit. No disrespect to the companies that make a good quality product. I hate supporting chinas economy, but when your a poor boy with ITB LSX dreams it’s the only option. All that has to do with personal spending budgets and income though. If the "quality" units are just another drop in the bucket...more power to you!

FWIW I had issues sending out my throttle bodies to "well know" performance machinists/shops to be bored out and fitted with larger blades and had sticking issues. It's usually just a matter of getting the blades to fit perfectly.

Last edited by Forcefed86; 01-29-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard the OBX throttle body blades need knife-edged and they'll work fine - never tried it myself though.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bug man nrg
Interesting - I didn't know that Jenvey can go up in the 58-60mm range.

I also like that they offer the carbon housing but it's getting up into the $4k range when you add that in there and that is getting near the cost of a shortblock!

The goal is to have LS7 heads although the budget may dictate going LS3 so we'll have to see there.

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Personally If a sticky throttle is the only problem on the OBX unit, and it's $2500 cheaper than it's closest competitor, I'd "fix" the OBX unit. No disrespect to the companies that make a good quality product. I hate supporting chinas economy, but when your a poor boy with ITB LSX dreams it’s the only option. All that has to do with personal spending budgets and income though. If the "quality" units are just another drop in the bucket...more power to you!

FWIW I had issues sending out my throttle bodies to "well know" performance machinists/shops to be bored out and fitted with larger blades and had sticking issues. It's usually just a matter of getting the blades to fit perfectly.
I am pretty handy and dremel tool is certainly a much cheaper option alongside the OBX. The car will get hot no doubt so I would certainly have to do something about it.

And NOTHING is a drop in the bucket in this hobby for me. Maybe one day.

Originally Posted by FastKat
I've heard the OBX throttle body blades need knife-edged and they'll work fine - never tried it myself though.
If the sticking is only related to the throttle blades expanding into the body I am sure I could get rid of that...but I fear turbulence around that interior section would cause issues.

I don't know enough about fluid dynamics and the like to make the call. I am not chasing a number though and the ITB desire is mainly to calm a more aggressive cam option and the immediate throttle response. Nothing like tickling a mechanical throttle pedal on an ITB car. I've driven an ITB turbo 4-banger and it was the most incredible throttle I'd ever used I cannot imagine what sort of sex panther magic a pushrod V8 is like with it.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FastKat
if this was the only problem then i would say get them but there is more to it than this .the manifold at the head needs a lot of work then there is finish and porting you have to do at the top of the manifold to fit the throttle body's and now you have about five to seven hours in grinding and porting and refitting the dam thing .now come's the set up with the vacuum block for your brake's OH sorry you do not get that part in the kit there is no TPS with it and the linkage they give you needs a lot of work .when we fit a Jenvey kit it cost $125-150 to fit and set up but the OBX kit will cost around $800-$1000 shop time just to get it to work and it will still stick after all that
Old 01-31-2014, 04:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS2 with LS3 ported heads and intake with 1.875" headers and lightweight clutch/tires and wheels will easily get it done, which happens to be what I'm currently building...no need to stroke it and 42lb injectors will be sufficient. The stock intake valves are fine you just have to watch PTV clearance with cam and stock flat top pistons, hope this helps.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Many new and exciting things have been happening with me.

New job starts on Monday.

Got a LC9 engine block from FastKat this past week.

Hoping to send it off for sleeving sometime this summer.

500RWHP is no longer the goal - shooting for for more like 620-640RWHP now based on a 468ci bottom end with either Mast 305 or PRC 285 LS7 heads and likely just sticking with a Fast 102mm intake as I cannot find any local tuners with bonafide ITB experience.

Cam is still unknown.

I'll keep you all posted!
Old 04-19-2014, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by D9HP
The thing is...it's $2500 cheaper than any other option!
Not cheaper than Nitrous . . .
Old 04-19-2014, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like this went from cheap to expensive lol Very cool though
Old 04-19-2014, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ez2cdave
Not cheaper than Nitrous . . .
True - but I don't want to deal with a bottle being filled and only having power "for a specific period of time".

Something something bottles are for babies?

Just kidding!!!

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Looks like this went from cheap to expensive lol Very cool though
Well it's not going to be cheap but I figured I'd rather save another year and have something that isn't done too often and have a totally unassuming package (other than pretty gnarly looking heads if you're in the know).

I will be sure to keep you all updated - I am really loving have the block in the garage!

Quick Reply: Cheapest way to 500RWHP in an aluminum block?