Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

does this sound like a bad valve seal? Just completed a cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does this sound like a bad valve seal? Just completed a cam swap

I did a cam swap a couple weeks back. I replaced the valve seals at the same time. I had put in the blue viton aftermarket seals. I fired the car up and let it get to temp maybe 2 or 3 times during the coolant burping process, took it around the block a couple times, etc. Everything seemed fine.

Left for a week, came back, and i had to install a new stainless fuel line on my FAST rails. Everything seems to be running fine. Let it run for a while and get up to temp. I suddenly look over and notice a bit of smoke coming out of the exhaust. Nothing really bad, but noticeable. I checked to make sure i wasnt leaking something or overheating or anything. Shut the car off. Fired it up again, noticed it idled a little weird for the first couple seconds, spat a bit of smoke, the smoke cleared up, but then came back again after maybe 10 seconds. It certainly isnt spewing smoke, but its definitely noticeable.

I also installed a catch can when I did the cam swap, and i noticed the oil was a bit overfilled. If the oil being overfilled was getting sucked in to the intake and burning up, i think i would notice it in the catch can, which was still dry. This makes me feel like the oil burning was the valve seals.

Now, during install of the valve seals, i goofed on a couple and accidently stuck them on before putting on the spring seats. I had to pull them off and reseat them. Although this didnt seem to visually damage anything, i wonder if maybe it made them out of round (had to remove them with pliers).

Does this sound like bad valve seals? What is the best way to check? Would it be noticeable on the spark plugs if the valve seals are bad? or should i just pull the covers off and start replaceing all of them? Car has not been tuned yet, i feel like its too much smoke to be just running rich. The car was dyno tuned before my new cam and intake mani. The car idles fine. I havent reved it beyond 3000 rpms (just stationary revs) and i havent shifted it above 2000rpm driving it around the block, or went anywhere above maybe 25% throttle.

Looking for your opinions on this...

Quick Reply: does this sound like a bad valve seal? Just completed a cam swap