Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

alright New here and new to big blocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alright New here and new to big blocks

Hey all, My names Mike.

I am new to building old engines and have limited experiance to building newer stuff....
I have search everywheres and there is an overwelming amount of information on different set ups that i have no clue where to begin..

I am hoping the pros on this site could help me out assuming i am even in the correct forum.

I have a 454 from a late 80's camper in my 94 Ford f150 It runs and behaves flawlessly as is.. I just want more power!!!

The engine is completly stock with the RV cam and PP heads

the truck has 3.08 gears which i think work well with the engine and a turbo 400 trans that is also stock from the same camper.

What i am looking for is 400-450 crank HP which should be easy enough with a big block!

I really dont want to spend a lot of money on pistons and such, I am hoping i can get near that 450 mark by adding the correct cam, intake manifold and maybe swapping the 236 heads out for another stock head..

I can get a set of 3964290 heads Which if i am understanding what i have research would up my compression from around 8 to 1 to almost 9 to 1, Is this correct?

If these heads will work better then the PP heads what cam would people recomend? Im looking to Tow occasionly and mostly just have some fun with it on the weekends... Besides BIG BLOCKS sound Awesome

I really have done a bunch of research but there is just so much info ESP. about cam selection that my head hurts with numbers

Please i hope you guys can steer me in the right direction
Old 09-11-2014, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wrong section man....I'm sure the Mods will move it, but this section is for 2005-newer ls engines...
Old 09-11-2014, 11:56 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

You came on LS1tech.com to ask about big blocks?
Old 09-11-2014, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike, you want to post in this forum:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/small-blo...y-specific-92/

The 454 you see guys posting about in here is a large-bore/stroke LS-based motor and really is a small block for all practical purposes. Late-model apples to your (BBC) orange.

Since I'm already posting, PP heads most likely refers to (P)orted and (P)olished heads. This is generic for any head that has been worked over by smoothing intake and exhaust ports and bowls and then polishing the exhaust side so you can flow more air and fuel in and out of the motor.

You'll never make any decent power with 8:1 compression unless you slap a turbo or supercharger on so you're on the right track there. You might want to try to get closer to 10:1 if you can as every bit helps.

Good luck in the BBC forum.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:31 PM

im sorry lol...Thanks for the replies. im not very familar with chevy engines at all actually so sorry for the confusion and thanks for pointing me in the right direction...

What i do know about the 454 is that The way i am and many others seem to use PP. It would stand for the Peanut Port heads that came on a 454 built for towing..

Again thanks for the help!

I do have plans to put a lq4 6.0 In my jeep rock crawler hopefully this winter so maybe ill be around and get some advice on that
Old 09-12-2014, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Aha! I learned something too, then. And I like peanuts.

I'm finishing up LS2 6.0 in CJ7 and there are a few others around if and when you get around to that project.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: alright New here and new to big blocks