Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

SHORT STROKE/BIG BORE 400ci LS7

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Mark,
As always thanks for sharing. I can't wait to hear this engine thundering around a track like highlands in the future.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:56 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
Mark,
As always thanks for sharing. I can't wait to hear this engine thundering around a track like highlands in the future.
Hi T/A,

We certainly hope to run at Highland's if Tony Quinn will have us!

Unfortunately Warren Mosler, and Martin Day [Mosler Europe] got "blind sided" by the FIA when they suddenly changed their advice to Mosler, and declared a 300 minimum build to qualify for FIA GT3 racing, so I don't think Tony would allow us to race in his GT Series, now day's.

We also have Ls7 engine that came with the car, but that engine now sports an excellent RHS block, and the best Callies crank and rod's etc, and I am in the process of also upgrading the cylinder heads, with some standard LSX-Ls7 heads which flow much better [378 CFM @ .650" valve lift] than the standard Ls7 cylinder heads. These cylinder heads are really an excellent and inexpensive bolt on at $1695 each [my cost] complete with Titanium inlet valves and hollow stem inconel exhaust valves, plus springs etc, all complete and ready to bolt on.

Thats a separate and far less challenging engine build that I should start a thread on when all my other bit's arrive, because this engine will be the mule for the car when we finish the complete rebuild of car itself, as it will be far more conventional and affordable than the subject engine in this thread.

Cheers,

Mark.

T/A have you visited Highland's race circuit in New Zealand?

Last edited by KiwiKid; 02-14-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KiwiKid
Hi T/A,

Unfortunately Warren Mosler, and Martin Day [Mosler Europe] got "blind sided" by the FIA when they suddenly changed their advice to Mosler, and declared a 300 minimum build to qualify for FIA GT3 racing, so I don't think Tony would allow us to race in his GT Series, now day's.

We also have Ls7 engine that came with the car, but that engine now sports an excellent RHS block, and the best Callies crank and rod's etc, and I am in the process of also upgrading the cylinder heads, with some standard LSX-Ls7 heads which flow much better [378 CFM @ .650" valve lift] than the standard Ls7 cylinder heads. These cylinder heads are really an excellent and inexpensive bolt on at $1695 each [my cost] complete with Titanium inlet valves and hollow stem inconel exhaust valves, plus springs etc, all complete and ready to bolt on.

Thats a separate and far less challenging engine build that I should start a thread on when all my other bit's arrive, because this engine will be the mule for the car when we finish the complete rebuild of car itself, as it will be far more conventional and affordable than the subject engine in this thread.

Cheers,

Mark.

T/A have you visited Highland's race circuit in New Zealand?
I have not, however within the next 3 years I will hopefully be able to take the trip I've been planning to Australia/New Zealand. It includes stops at Highlands, Bathurst, and if I can time it right attend the Gold Coast 600 at Surfer's Paradise.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:00 PM
Launching!

I have not, however within the next 3 years I will hopefully be able to take the trip I've been planning to Australia/New Zealand. It includes stops at Highlands, Bathurst, and if I can time it right attend the Gold Coast 600 at Surfer's Paradise.

Great choice's, Bathurst is number one every motor racing fan needs to go to the 1000K Bathurst race at least once in their life.

Gold-coast, crash city, I can take it or leave it, however, Highland's will be a great race in the future its set in the most beautiful part of New Zealand, only 45 minutes from Queenstown, and for sure one day it will be a must see race.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Hi T/A,

Cheers,

Mark.

If anybody is interested this is the single throttle body intake manifold I am using on my Mosler's current Ls7 based engine, with the new LSX-Ls7 clinder head's I mentioned in my post above, stunning design and workmanship in all their design's, not cheap but eye candy that really work's.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for posting that pic and not giving us fair warning to have a towel ready....now I just messed myself.....gotta go clean up....
Old 02-15-2015, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Pretty, I'm seriously lusting now.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 538 Likes on 383 Posts

Wow!! That intake is just awesome! I wouldn't even want to run a hood on the car LOL.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:57 AM
Launching!

Mark,
As always thanks for sharing. .

Hi T/A,

More stuff to share.

Here is some actual flow numbers of the off the shelf LSX-Ls7 cylinder heads that I am bolting on in place of my race cars existing stock Ls7 cylinder heads. You can clearly see the old head's and the new LSX-Ls7 heads overlayed on this chart.

Big gain for not a lot of money!

Old 02-16-2015, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

Hi T/A,

More stuff to share.

Here is some actual flow numbers of the off the shelf LSX-Ls7 cylinder heads that I am bolting on in place of my race cars existing stock Ls7 cylinder heads. You can clearly see the old head's and the new LSX-Ls7 heads overlayed on this chart.

Big gain for not a lot of money!

Huge gain, especially at lower lift.

I agree with the Gold Coast 600 being a crash fest, but you can't blame me for wanting to see surfers paradise. The location makes that event.

Is it bad that most of my trips/vacations involve trying to see or drive on famous tracks around the world? I'm still leaving out Phillip Island, and Pukekohe, and.... well I guess I have a problem.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Quick question for ya Kiwi
What does the Intake side flow between .700-.750 ??
It appears to drop 11 cfm from .650 to .700.
I'm just wondering if a 50 or 52 degree valve seat might enhance the .650 to .800 flow numbers to work with your 780 ish sized intake lobe
Old 02-16-2015, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
Quick question for ya Kiwi
What does the Intake side flow between .700-.750 ??
It appears to drop 11 cfm from .650 to .700.
I'm just wondering if a 50 or 52 degree valve seat might enhance the .650 to .800 flow numbers to work with your 780 ish sized intake lobe
Hi AR,

My apologies, I should have made it clearer that the LSX-Ls7 Cylinder Heads, are not for my short stroke big bore engine 400ci, and so is the Cam Motion camshaft that I posted the details on.

I sent Kim the same flow sheet for the LSX-Ls7 cylinder heads yesterday as asked him to recommend a suitable camshaft with about .650" lift on the inlet cam, and he said he needed the flowchart etc.

The LSX-Ls7, heads will go on to my race cars existing near stock standard Ls7, 427ci engine, in place of the engines stock standard cylinder heads, and along with the TR inlet manifold with a 102 throttle body, plus a new cam when Kim gets back to me.

This reworked engine will then become a spare for our race engine which is the short stroke/big bore 400ci engine that this thread is all about, and again I apologise for posting stuff on our existing engine, in the wrong thread.

I hope this long winded explanation clarifies thing for you and anybody else.

Cheer's,

Mark.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Could you have had your stock LS7 heads ported to match or exceed the flow of the LS7-LSX heads?

It looks like the stock heads have better exhaust flow numbers.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ss performance
Could you have had your stock LS7 heads ported to match or exceed the flow of the LS7-LSX heads?

Hi SS,

To answer your question, yes, I could have sent my stock Ls7 heads to Australia and had them ported, however, by the time I paid the air freight both way's and the $1,000 per head porting charge, I would have paid pretty much what the brand new off the shelf head's cost me, and then had to purchase the new Titanium valves etc, as the LSX-LS7 cylinder heads come complete ready to bolt on.

I am no expert on cylinder head flows, so certainly don't profess to know what negative effect the lesser exhaust flow will have on my engines performance, so will need to ask that question of said "experts" in this field, some of which certainly comment on this forum like Martin from Trick etc.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ss performance

OK SS, further to me previous post above, I talked to Kim at Cam Motion and the guy that flowed the head's and both say providing the exhaust port flows audibly sweet with no extraneous noise [which it did] than the lessor exhaust flow numbers are not a concern, and in some instances allow the cam design to better control the effective exhaust stroke.

The cam that Kim recommends for the cars existing Ls7 engine, that I am going to rebuild with the new LSX-LS7 cylinder heads, plus the trick inlet manifold etc, is fairly mild compared with my quite separate short stroke/big bore engine project.

Kim has also designed the cam to run with the engines existing Howard Hydraulic lifters that have a .750" roller wheel. The engine ran very cleanly to 7,200 rpm well with these lifters so I don't see a problem in using them to run to 7,500 RPM as they only have 300 miles on them, and look perfect.

So the new CamMotion spec's for the uprated Ls7 engine is:

250/650 Inlet

260/630 Exhaust

114+4 LSA

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:02 PM
Launching!

Mark,
As always thanks for sharing.
Just a brief up date Pauter have finally finished my 6.200" connecting rod's, so when my Billet crank gets finished by the end of this month, then I can get the block, the rod's and the crank airfreighted down here [New Zealand] and get the short assembly underway

Kip at Cam Motion has already finished and dispatched the camshaft to me so I should see that late next week, so the billet piston's are the last big ticket item on my short stroke/big bore project, pretty sure I am going to go with Diamond but am waiting for a quote back from Mahle.

Just as soon as I get my hands on some of these parts I will post some pictures of them, some of them like the crank and the rod's should be real eye candy.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try CP pistons also. Dont rule them out. I have a set of there pistons for my short stroke big bore project.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Violence.z06
Try CP pistons also. Dont rule them out. I have a set of there pistons for my short stroke big bore project.
Thank's V,

Do CP do billet piston's? as I have not been able to find any of the shelf forging's for 4.185 flat top piston's to accomdate the .790" inlet valve [2.200]

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

Wiseco pistons were in my 4.185" bore short stroke record setting Bonneville motor I bought.

Brian Nutter is the contact. If you need his info email me.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gnx7
Wiseco pistons were in my 4.185" bore short stroke record setting Bonneville motor I bought.

Brian Nutter is the contact. If you need his info email me.

Thanks GN7,

I will call Brian on Monday.

Quick Reply: SHORT STROKE/BIG BORE 400ci LS7