TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

These are 1.75 comp cam, non offset.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:49 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by slogo
These are 1.75 comp cam, non offset.

Aren't those the old Pro Mag rockers? I thought those were discontinued.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

They probably are the old design, I have had them for awhile.
Discontinued? I don't know, I know I don't ever read about anyone using them, and
wonder why? Were there any problems with them?
Old 01-07-2017, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comp still makes them. They are one my shopping list

http://www.compperformancegroupstore...e=GEN3Rockers1
Old 01-07-2017, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom

Yep. That's what I was thinking of. Would like to get my hands on some of these and see how much weight over the valve they present compared to stock, aluminum roller tip, TSP's roller tip, and then something like the T&Ds.

Looks like they machined out or cast in some speed holes in the newer chromoly models.

So anyway..not trying to look like a Comp fanboy here but I am curious to know what TSP thinks is NEW!!! about what seems like a basic design that Comp has been quietly making for a while now. I heard some info that insinuated that the TSPs will use a stock-style trunnion so I guess you can rebuild them yourself. That's a potential plus. But the Comps carry a lifetime warranty which I assume includes wearing out the trunnion.

Last edited by Mercier; 01-07-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Well now that the question of aren't they discontinued came up? The link on post 25
looks like they are 1.8 ratio, are the 1.75 ratio still available?
Old 01-07-2017, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sub'd
Old 01-07-2017, 08:15 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I think the Comp's didn't take off because of the weight... they are steel and roller rockers. So even heavier than the YTs. But they won't break (or shouldn't).

The issue is once you really need a roller rocker with something like a low-lash solid roller, you'd be much better off just picking up the T&Ds if you want aluminum or the Crowers if you want something that'll last longer than the rest of the engine. Both provide the needed adjustability too. Even the adjustable YTs end up costing a lot more than their non-adjustable stud mounts and have disadvantages to a shaft-mount. But anything beyond those price points is really absurd when either work damn well.

I would like to see how the TSP rockers work though. They could be a nice alternative to the Crowers/T&Ds for the solid roller guys. That's really the difference in cost right now between the setups (unless you go with a bushed solid lifter).
Old 01-07-2017, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
I think the Comp's didn't take off because of the weight... they are steel and roller rockers. So even heavier than the YTs. But they won't break (or shouldn't).

The issue is once you really need a roller rocker with something like a low-lash solid roller, you'd be much better off just picking up the T&Ds if you want aluminum or the Crowers if you want something that'll last longer than the rest of the engine. Both provide the needed adjustability too. Even the adjustable YTs end up costing a lot more than their non-adjustable stud mounts and have disadvantages to a shaft-mount. But anything beyond those price points is really absurd when either work damn well.

I would like to see how the TSP rockers work though. They could be a nice alternative to the Crowers/T&Ds for the solid roller guys. That's really the difference in cost right now between the setups (unless you go with a bushed solid lifter).
Looks like Comp only has 1.8s in this lineup. They are chromoly which should be lighter than steel--or at least let you use less material since it is stronger. Not sure how much lighter over the valve though.

Perhaps the story here then is TSP coming back with a 1.7.

I don't believe you really need a roller for a solid. Roller tip is more for bronze(aftermarket) valve guides though adjustable rockers typically are roller tip also. There are some folks running LLSR cams with shimmed(for adjusting lash) stock rockers though they are the minority. Are you suggesting that is how the TSPs would be used with LLSR or are they adjustable and I missed that?

Interesting that the Comps advertise 875lb spring pressure capability. That's impressive.

In the end for my LLSRs I have T&Ds on one and adjustable Harland Sharp going on another. If T&D would just anodize their stuff orange...

These(Comp/TSP) interest me for hydraulic builds if they are similar in weight to stock.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
The Comp's only come in a 1.8:1 ratio, which is probably a deal breaker for some. I have a set that are going on my new engine with a stock cam and they're pretty good looking rockers.
I have the Ultra Pro-mags on my heads/cam LS3. They are some nice pieces!!

KW
Old 01-08-2017, 02:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Those are aluminum though, correct?
Yea. Skipped over which ones was in the previous topic, my fault. I have the comp ultra golds, which I'm still on the fence about using. Was thinking of snagging up some YT and selling these.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:05 AM
KCS

Originally Posted by slogo
They probably are the old design, I have had them for awhile.
Discontinued? I don't know, I know I don't ever read about anyone using them, and
wonder why? Were there any problems with them?
I don't know if there were any issues, I just don't see them in Comp's catalogs anymore. I think the new Ultra Pro Mags are a better design anyways.

Those are the 1.8:1 Ultra Pro Mags. I have a set of those. The ones I was asking about are the Pro Mags which were a 1.75:1 ratio and a different design.

They do have a few advantages over the shaft mounts (T&D/Jesel/Crower) or even the Yell Terras. You can get the Ultra Pro Mags in an adjustable stud mount for half the price of a set of shaft mount rockers. Savings that could be better used on light weight hollow stem valves or converting to a 3/8" stud.

In regards to the stud, that is how the lash is adjusted. With the Yella Terras, T&D's, etc, the adjustment is in the pushrod cup, so you have to grind clearance into the valve cover rail. You don't have to do that with the Comp rockers. The stud mount conversion has an 8mm x 3/8" stud which the rocker sits on and is adjusted with the polylock. You can also drill and tap the rocker bolt holes in the head and use a 3/8" x 3/8" stud for more stability than the 8mm stud and it costs no more than just the time to modify the bolt holes.

If I ever get into a solid roller or limited travel hydraulic lifter, I would be using these stud mount rockers. I think they're the best alternative for someone on a budget that aren't planning on turning 9-10k RPM.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:37 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercier
Looks like Comp only has 1.8s in this lineup. They are chromoly which should be lighter than steel--or at least let you use less material since it is stronger. Not sure how much lighter over the valve though.

Perhaps the story here then is TSP coming back with a 1.7.

I don't believe you really need a roller for a solid. Roller tip is more for bronze(aftermarket) valve guides though adjustable rockers typically are roller tip also. There are some folks running LLSR cams with shimmed(for adjusting lash) stock rockers though they are the minority. Are you suggesting that is how the TSPs would be used with LLSR or are they adjustable and I missed that?

Interesting that the Comps advertise 875lb spring pressure capability. That's impressive.

In the end for my LLSRs I have T&Ds on one and adjustable Harland Sharp going on another. If T&D would just anodize their stuff orange...

These(Comp/TSP) interest me for hydraulic builds if they are similar in weight to stock.
You really shouldn't run super high lift with anything other than a roller rocker. Hyd or Solid. Bronze or PM guides. Doesn't matter. The action of the stock rocker at like .650 lift is pretty bad. Though most solid profiles allow for higher lifts than their hydraulic counterparts.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

You really shouldn't run super high lift with anything other than a roller rocker. Hyd or Solid. Bronze or PM guides. Doesn't matter. The action of the stock rocker at like .650 lift is pretty bad. Though most solid profiles allow for higher lifts than their hydraulic counterparts.
I am not too hot on the idea and likely won't do this myself; mostly mentioned it responding to your suggestion of TSPs with LLSR. Only way I know of to make a pedestal mount rocker adjustable. Am I missing something?
Old 01-09-2017, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can the comps be ran on the stock studs or do you have to drill and tap the head for the bigger ones?
Old 01-09-2017, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 231 Likes on 155 Posts

They only offer them in 1.8, and they never advertised them when they first came out. And even when word got out about them, they still were "unavailable" for a while.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:44 PM
KCS

Can the comps be ran on the stock studs or do you have to drill and tap the head for the bigger ones?
There are two versions; one is for the stock 8mm bolts and has the trunnion drilled just big enough for the 8mm bolt to go through. These are the "bolt on" versions.

The other version is for the stud mount conversion. The trunions are drilled with a larger hole for a 3/8" stud, but you can use the 8mm x 3/8" stud without having to drill and tap the bolt holes in the cylinder head.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, thanks for the clarification.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS

They do have a few advantages over the shaft mounts (T&D/Jesel/Crower) or even the Yell Terras. You can get the Ultra Pro Mags in an adjustable stud mount for half the price of a set of shaft mount rockers. Savings that could be better used on light weight hollow stem valves or converting to a 3/8" stud.

In regards to the stud, that is how the lash is adjusted. With the Yella Terras, T&D's, etc, the adjustment is in the pushrod cup, so you have to grind clearance into the valve cover rail. You don't have to do that with the Comp rockers. The stud mount conversion has an 8mm x 3/8" stud which the rocker sits on and is adjusted with the polylock. You can also drill and tap the rocker bolt holes in the head and use a 3/8" x 3/8" stud for more stability than the 8mm stud and it costs no more than just the time to modify the bolt holes.

If I ever get into a solid roller or limited travel hydraulic lifter, I would be using these stud mount rockers. I think they're the best alternative for someone on a budget that aren't planning on turning 9-10k RPM.
So this would mean they are adjustable but do not also need taller valve covers?

If this is the case I might end up picking some of them up after I get a little more in way of results on how my shimmed stockers run at the track.

The cost of the shaft mounts, plus the need for aftermarket tall valve covers, plus then possibly coil relocation or longer plug wires as well makes the price quite high.

If these would offer the adjustability and possibly some minor power gains on a LLSR that is .630"/.620" lift and only needs to rev around 7,000 rpms then they might be right up my ally.

Quick Reply: New TSP roller tip OEM rocker