Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 swap to F-Body?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS2 swap to F-Body?

I have been searching around for a while and have yet to find a good, solid answer to my question.

What all would I need to swap the LS2 into a LS1 F-Body? Would it still need to be a dry-sump system or can an oil pickup be placed in the pan?

As far as I know, the following will work:
-Stock LS1 PCM and harness, with tuning of course, and lengthened knock sensor and cam position sensor harnesses.
-LS1 oil pan.
-All mounting brackets and accesories
-LS1 water pump? I've heard of clearance issues with the LS2 pump?
-Motor mounts?
-Pulley? Clearance issues as well?
-Headers.
-Fuel lines.
-Coolant lines.

I'm still deciding between the LS6 intake and LS2, thinking the LS6 would be cheaper (in the throttle body area) and more effecient, or so I've heard.

Anything else needed? I need some solid answer from people who have successfully done this, and what problems have been encountered.

Thanks
Ryan
Old 09-30-2005, 11:19 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ryan - You can swap an LS2 into your car with no problems at all! We had a customer pick up his 2000 Z28 yesterday that we installed an LS2 into. All of your existing parts that you've listed will work just fine: cooling and fuel systems, pulley, engine mounts, oil pan, etc. We sell the 402 cid LS2 short-blocks starting at $3,800, and that price includes the timing cover, rear cover, valley cover, lifter trays, and timing chain. The only other part you would have to have would be the LS2 upper timing sprocket. You have to use the LS2-specific piece when going in an LS2, but the LS2 chain can be used in an LS1 engine with the factory LS1 upper and lower timing sprockets. Your factory LS1 lower timing sprocket will carry over to the LS2 with no problems whatsoever. Double-rollers are not currently available for the LS2, but Rollmaster is working on one.

To fit the LS2 in your LS1 vehicle, you will have to extend the wires for the camshaft position sensor and relocate the knock sensors into the side of the block. Other than that, it will drop right in for you.

Feel free to give me a call or shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions or concerns.

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 09-30-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Trevor @ Texas Speed & Perf.
Ryan - You can swap an LS2 into your car with no problems at all! We had a customer pick up his 2000 Z28 yesterday that we installed an LS2 into. All of your existing parts that you've listed will work just fine: cooling and fuel systems, pulley, engine mounts, oil pan, etc. We sell the 402 cid LS2 short-blocks starting at $3,800, and that price includes the timing cover, rear cover, valley cover, lifter trays, and timing chain. The only other part you would have to have would be the LS2 upper timing sprocket. You have to use the LS2-specific piece when going in an LS2, but the LS2 chain can be used in an LS1 engine with the factory LS1 upper and lower timing sprockets. Your factory LS1 lower timing sprocket will carry over to the LS2 with no problems whatsoever. Double-rollers are not currently available for the LS2, but Rollmaster is working on one.

To fit the LS2 in your LS1 vehicle, you will have to extend the wires for the camshaft position sensor and relocate the knock sensors into the side of the block. Other than that, it will drop right in for you.

Feel free to give me a call or shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions or concerns.

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance
Thanks a lot! So you CAN put the LS1 oil pickup in the pan of an LS2 correct?
Old 09-30-2005, 11:39 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Onyx Z
Thanks a lot! So you CAN put the LS1 oil pickup in the pan of an LS2 correct?
Yep, it will work with no problems.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Trevor @ Texas Speed & Perf.
Yep, it will work with no problems.
Awesome, thanks a lot!

Quick Reply: LS2 swap to F-Body?