Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

need some direction for my build

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default need some direction for my build

Can someone point me in the right direction to get started? I'm looking for 510-530rwhp out of a stroked L92. I have TSP ported L92 heads and will be running the L76 intake assembly. I want a big cam, or at least one that sounds really choppy. I know very little about building engines and the specs are even more confusing. What parts will accomplish this goal, (ie, which rods, what kind of pistons, compression ratio....) I've been searching a lot and constantly reading through this forum, but am still needing a lot of help.

Oh yeah, and this will be through an auto.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In your case, based on what you have stated above, I would take your block, heads and intake to a proven sponsor on this board and let them handle the specifics of the build, recommendation of the camshaft, etc. They will know all of the little things you will likely miss and they know engines. Plus I am assuming this is an everyday driver.

In my case I used a proven shop, Late Model Racecraft in Houston. I explained exactly what I wanted. They specified the heads, cam, intake, everything. I posted their recommended build sheet and was immediately hit with PM's asking why this combo. In the end, the engine did EXACTLY what I wanted and pulled right at 625 RWHP, exceeding my expectations. More amazingly, it did this through a ported FAST. Everyone questioned the FAST and recommended a sheetmetal intake, saying I was going to choke the 454. Instead I ended up with over 500 RWTQ between 3,500 to 6,500 RPM, again exceeding the initial expectations.

Beware of internet advice; use it for reference only. A proven shop will guarantee their results and give you a warranty as well.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tcr98taws6
In your case, based on what you have stated above, I would take your block, heads and intake to a proven sponsor on this board and let them handle the specifics of the build, recommendation of the camshaft, etc. They will know all of the little things you will likely miss and they know engines. Plus I am assuming this is an everyday driver.

In my case I used a proven shop, Late Model Racecraft in Houston. I explained exactly what I wanted. They specified the heads, cam, intake, everything. I posted their recommended build sheet and was immediately hit with PM's asking why this combo. In the end, the engine did EXACTLY what I wanted and pulled right at 625 RWHP, exceeding my expectations. More amazingly, it did this through a ported FAST. Everyone questioned the FAST and recommended a sheetmetal intake, saying I was going to choke the 454. Instead I ended up with over 500 RWTQ between 3,500 to 6,500 RPM, again exceeding the initial expectations.

Beware of internet advice; use it for reference only. A proven shop will guarantee their results and give you a warranty as well.
Thats sopme sick numbers man any track times . Is this a DD, street car or weekend worrior
Old 10-01-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Definately talk to a few sponsors. Also, search through the forums for a while for cam choises. You may see something you like, and it seems more and more people on here that are doing the cam swaps are posting up videos or sound clips. Woop! If it was me though, I'd get the fast 90/90 if I was going to go with that build, I mean why limit your potential?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I've read, the FAST isn't a big improvement over the L76, and costs a ridiculous amount more, for marginally better performance.

The car will see street driving once or twice a week.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The Black Mamba
Definately talk to a few sponsors. Also, search through the forums for a while for cam choises. You may see something you like, and it seems more and more people on here that are doing the cam swaps are posting up videos or sound clips. Woop! If it was me though, I'd get the fast 90/90 if I was going to go with that build, I mean why limit your potential?

Me too ported 90/90 or if I was feeling rich I would go LS7 setup .

I haven't been all that impressed with the l92 heads they flow huge but I think the diffrence between the intake and exahust ports is what hurts them but you cant beat that price .

But the way I look at it , whats another $1k when you are doing a build like this . Do it once the right way you know .

I have installed a few strokers with the l92 package they both ,made about 500whp thats pretty nice too
Old 10-02-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Fast 90/90 & L92's = No

Originally Posted by The Black Mamba
The FAST 90/90 will not fit the L92 heads. Since the heads are already purchased the L76 or a sheet metal intake are your choices. FAST is coming out with an intake for the L92/LS3 heads soon.

Since the LS3 is now the '08 C6 motor, I'll bet the development of supporting products will pick up the pace.

Bob K.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RGKSR
The FAST 90/90 will not fit the L92 heads. Since the heads are already purchased the L76 or a sheet metal intake are your choices. FAST is coming out with an intake for the L92/LS3 heads soon.

Since the LS3 is now the '08 C6 motor, I'll bet the development of supporting products will pick up the pace.

Bob K.
Oh, I was thinking that the L92 intake was already out. My bad.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Can someone point me in the right direction to get started? I'm looking for 510-530rwhp out of a stroked L92. I have TSP ported L92 heads and will be running the L76 intake assembly. I want a big cam, or at least one that sounds really choppy. I know very little about building engines and the specs are even more confusing. What parts will accomplish this goal, (ie, which rods, what kind of pistons, compression ratio....) I've been searching a lot and constantly reading through this forum, but am still needing a lot of help.

Oh yeah, and this will be through an auto.
I can help you with this build please give me a call I will be happy to go over your options.

Harold
Port Pros LLC
512-257-0222