Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LSx Block..There ARE exterior differences

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 01:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSx Block..There ARE exterior differences

Hey guys,
I'm posting this mainly for the guys who have an LSx on the way. I've got my 454 in the garage, and i'm almost ready to stab it in my C5. So far, there are 2 things i've found that i've had to modify over and above my LS1 and LS2.

If there are any more that someone else knows about PLEASE post it and let me know.

1) Previously, I had an oil cooler on my car. I ran an oil cooler adapter on the ports right above the oil filter. Wellllll, I found out today that there is an additional boss that is cast into the block directly above the oil temp sensor housing. This boss, will NOT allow you to run an oil cooler adapter. I called LPE to confirm wether or not they new about it, and they didnt. They went out and inspected one of their blocks in house, and will be modifying their design in the next month or 2. I had to machine quite a bit of material off of the adapter (and a little off the block) in order to make it fit. But it DOES work now. You just cant be afraid to take a grinder to a brand new motor..

2) When I went to install my A/C compressor bracket, I found that (again) there is an additional boss that has been cast into the front of the block. Its directly next to the top bolt hole of the bracket. This boss looks like it was machined there for a different application. The ONLY way I could make the bracket fit, was to take about a 1 1/2" x 1/8" of material off of the A/C bracket. Also, I had to flatten out the corner of the boss. I almost went through into the threaded hole, but it really didnt matter, cause it does me no good anyways. But in the end, the total amount of material removed between the 2 was a little more than I felt comfortable with..

Just though I'd let you guys know...

Soooooo, is there anything else I need to look forward to??
Old 10-12-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Resident

thanks for sharing-
Old 10-12-2007, 02:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

thanks for sharing man and cant wait to see some pics or vidz of your car When its done.

Is this the same car that had 402ci and KB?????
Old 10-12-2007, 02:30 AM
9 Second Club

what happened to the kenne bell?
Old 10-12-2007, 02:33 AM
FormerVendor

No problem dude..

Yea, its the same car. I just change my mind ALOT..

If all goes as planned, the car will be running by monday. I'm just finding a bunch of bullshit stuff I gotta do. Since my last setup was forced induction, theres parts i'm missing. So most of my work is tracking down all the **** I removed the first time around..

Originally Posted by venom ws7
thanks for sharing man and cant wait to see some pics or vidz of your car When its done.

Is this the same car that had 402ci and KB?????
Old 10-12-2007, 02:36 AM
FormerVendor

Its sitting on the counter in my kitchen..

Along with my front bumper.. (God I love my wife)

Its not going back on.....The blower that is.
Originally Posted by Nickn20
what happened to the kenne bell?
Old 10-12-2007, 07:58 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

On the LS2 valley plate you can remove the 8 blue o-rings that cap off the DoD ports, the LSX block does not have the cast stands as the LS2-LS7, etc, so there is nothing to clamp the o-ring in place.

Since you already had a 402ci in a C5, you probably already did this, but the passenger side aluminum motor mount bracket needs to be notched to clear an extra AC bolt. Thats quite common on all newer blocks in C5's.

Quick Reply: LSx Block..There ARE exterior differences