Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Who makes .700 lift valve springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who makes .700 lift valve springs

What are my options if I run a cam with .700 valve lift. I'm guessing i will need a dual spring. Also are there any reasonably priced?
Old 12-30-2007, 03:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its going to be tough to find one in the 1.290" diameter that is reliable, i know ferrea a few years back made one in 1.290" that was ment for solid roller apps. but i dont think is was all to reliable to be honest. if your going 1.450" or larger there is alot more options
Old 12-30-2007, 03:06 PM
Banned

Theirs a spring kit made by Ferrea, not cheap.

I've heard PAC is working on a .700" spring similar to their 1221 springs

I'd talk to ET about springs for that, they have some spec'd spring sets that will work in .700" lift but they are 1.430" od, those setup with a 2.000" installed height.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Teching In

I have the Ferrea(not cheep) and haven't had a problem but im only at 650 lift.(good for 700)
Old 12-31-2007, 08:52 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Try PAC, PSI, or Xcyldyne even. They all make top tier springs, but I doubt you'll find anything in the 1.2xx" range. You probably wouldn't want em anyway
Old 01-01-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the PSI 1225's, but they have a higher install height and a larger diameter.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Launching!

I think I read that Katech made a bee hive spring good to .700 lift.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Plenty of springs available but not in the tiny sub 1.300 diameter and short < 1.800 installed height that most LS1 guys have. If you do something with lift like that you need to start out thinking that way BEFORE you get the heads etc and then you can do it right and get the right valves. ETP is the only LSx head out there that sets up high enough to run real springs right now but TEA etc. can set you up different if you know what you want from the beginning as well as AFR Etc. but it's not cheaper of course!
Old 01-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Launching!

Not many options in the 1.300" range. We are working on a PAC-1521 which will be a higher load nitrided version of the PAC-1221 (Old Comp 921) that will be good to .700" lift.

Last edited by Yeahdoug; 01-07-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:03 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by gen3performance
What are my options if I run a cam with .700 valve lift. I'm guessing i will need a dual spring. Also are there any reasonably priced?
Why would you need a spring capable of that?? just curious......
Old 01-07-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Does anyone know what spring they run on Futral's NBM SS ??? I know that car a big cam with alot of lift.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:06 AM
TECH Resident

This brings up a question I have wondered about for quite some time. Why do all the LS1 heads, even the high $$$ ones come with stock diameter springs? In the old days, if you needed more spring pressure for a mild cam, you did not plop down $300.00 for springs, you cut the spring pockets out and installed larger diameter springs. I know in some cases with the thinner later model castings, we would drop a .030 shim into the spring pocket and then cut the pocket out so we would not cut too deep on the outside edges. So why does everyone stick with stock diameter springs with the LS heads. I would think with the CNC'd heads or aftermarket castings, spring choices would be much easier and cheaper to come by if the pockets were 1.460 or something of that nature (or even 1.550 for the more serious guys). Is there a water jacket directly under the spring seat or off to the side of it that we have to worry about, or is there something else that prevents us from opening up the spring pocket?
Old 01-08-2008, 04:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The smaller springs are much lighter so thats a big point for them. Most aftermarket heads you can run bigger springs if you want though.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the PRC Platinum springs good for .670 lift and fits the stock pocket
Old 01-09-2008, 04:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by racer7088
The smaller springs are much lighter so thats a big point for them. Most aftermarket heads you can run bigger springs if you want though.
To me that just seems like a very small price to pay for the increased reliability and spring life. Now granted I have no way of testing any of this stuff, but I have read that increasing the spring pressure has no real adverse effects on power output with roller cams since for every lifter being pushed up another is coming down. So it seems like the only real adverse affect would be if you were not able to increase the spring pressure enough to offset the additional weight of the spring without damaging the hydraulic lifter. I would think if you could run a larger spring in addition to a hydraulic lifter rev-kit, you could have near stock spring life with the ability to run .650 lift and have the valvetrain stability to turn 7000+. Who knows, if I ever have the money some day to build something like that I may give it a shot.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:29 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BOWTIE
To me that just seems like a very small price to pay for the increased reliability and spring life. Now granted I have no way of testing any of this stuff, but I have read that increasing the spring pressure has no real adverse effects on power output with roller cams since for every lifter being pushed up another is coming down. So it seems like the only real adverse affect would be if you were not able to increase the spring pressure enough to offset the additional weight of the spring without damaging the hydraulic lifter. I would think if you could run a larger spring in addition to a hydraulic lifter rev-kit, you could have near stock spring life with the ability to run .650 lift and have the valvetrain stability to turn 7000+. Who knows, if I ever have the money some day to build something like that I may give it a shot.
I understand where you are coming from but a hydraulic lifter rev kit is not going to aid in valvetrain stability in these motors. That technology is OLD SCHOOL V8 tech back when they didn't have great valvespring technology. It was a bandaid fix until manufacturers started producing dedicated high-performance valvesprings.

The only way you will get valvetrain stability is going Solid Roller with Shaft Mounted adjustable roller rockers. That is when you can turn 7000+rpm reliably for short or sustained periods. I wouldn't trust a hydraulic lifter at those type rpms or even to cope with in excess of .700 lift. At those rpms and with that much lift you will always be leaving power on the table with a hyd. lifter set-up. Don't mean to
Apologies....
Old 01-09-2008, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KONG
I understand where you are coming from but a hydraulic lifter rev kit is not going to aid in valvetrain stability in these motors. That technology is OLD SCHOOL V8 tech back when they didn't have great valvespring technology. It was a bandaid fix until manufacturers started producing dedicated high-performance valvesprings.

The only way you will get valvetrain stability is going Solid Roller with Shaft Mounted adjustable roller rockers. That is when you can turn 7000+rpm reliably for short or sustained periods. I wouldn't trust a hydraulic lifter at those type rpms or even to cope with in excess of .700 lift. At those rpms and with that much lift you will always be leaving power on the table with a hyd. lifter set-up. Don't mean to
Apologies....
I'll kindly have to disagree with you on that one. While it is true that a rev-kit will do nothing to help with the weight on the valve or valve spring, it can combine with it to eliminate the need for the valvespring to control that mass as well as the inertia of the lifter trying to keep flying as it crest the lobe. While it is true with a solid lifter the rrev-kit may not be necessary due to the fact that you can just increase the valve spring pressure, this is not true with a hydraulic. The hydraulic internals can only support an x amount of load before it fails. The advantage of a hydraulic specific rev-kit is that it can apply it's force to the outside housing of the lifter, so that the hydraulic internals then only have to deal with pressure exerted from the valve springs and the rest of the valvetrain. In other words, I think a well thought out and designed rev-kit for the LS style motor is more beneficial now than ever before due to the limitations of the hydraulic roller lifter and the ever increasing ramp rates of todays camshafts.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KONG

Apologies....
This is incorrect. You dont need to go solid roller to turn 7k rpms without valve float. All you need is a stepped up hydraulic setup. It's been done many many times.

LPE uses Ferrea for their GT-19 cam wich is in the .688 lift range
Old 01-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Banned

We run our shop car, regular Delphi hyd. lifters 7700rpm with stock rocker arms........ Just pay little more attention to valve spring specs (rate etc.) and setup. Also working with a larger diameter spring helps.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:21 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

8400+ rpm LSx Hydraulic setups: http://wiki.ls1tech.com/forums/showt...t=roller+solid

Quick Reply: Who makes .700 lift valve springs