Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Is this the water pump dying??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is this the water pump dying??

Alright I have an LS2 402 that I have put about 5000 miles on. It has been owned by me since 20,000 miles and now has 100,000 miles on it. The water pump was replaced by me at 40,000 miles. Today it started leaking water underneath it and I drove it around to watch the temp gauge and I smelled antifreeze. I looked underneath it and water/antifreeze was pouring out underneath it. It appears to be coming from the large, central pulley on the front of the motor, I believe it is the water pump. There are no disconnected hoses or anything either. Before I buy a water pump is there anything else I should check that it could be? Is it a horrible idea to add water to the coolant resevoir and drive it the 5 miles home? If I watch the temp gauge and refill as needed on the way home I believe I could make it-or-should I just leave it parked up here at my work? Thanks guys I appreciate it, this thing just keeps breaking my bank.
Mitchell
Old 03-14-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

It does sound like the pump is going out on you to me. How quickly was it pouring out of the pump? If it was not coming out at an alarming rate you should be ok for that short drive home, just keep a close eye on the temp etc etc. Before you make the trip home I would fill the radiator if it needs it, and also fill up your overflow some too just for that little extra coolant. Also I would keep a little extra water on hand just in case. I cant think of anything else that could be a problem other than the pump because of where you said it was leaking. Good luck to ya man.

Jon

Last edited by Black02SLPSS; 03-14-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Ok I did a little thinking and one other thing crossed my mind. I just had a new tranny installed. I have a tranny cooler right in front of the water pump/behind the radiator. It did not appear to be coming from there but is there anyway the shop would have connected it wrong? The other day the fluid was literally pouring out. It took no more than 5 minutes to pretty much drain completely. As far as water pump pricing goes, anyone know which sponsor has the best prices?
Old 03-16-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a WP to me. They may have cranked the belt down tight an it just hurried the problem up a little.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably a the water pump. The tranny cooler just runs transmission fluid through the cooler and back to the trans. Fill up the radiator and the overflow bottle and bring some extra water with you. You shouldn't have a problem driving it 5 miles, just don't let it sit and idle at a stop sign or stop light and turn it off as soon as you pull in the driveway.

Quick Reply: Is this the water pump dying??