Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 12:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dilemma

Alright guys... How do ya'll do it? First a little background... I've been dating a girl for a little over a year. And my girlfriend is jealous of the "rediculous amount of time I spend in the garage". We have had a few long talks and i've tried to make it clear that I'm always going to be a gearhead (as I'm sure most of you feel too), and she thinks i'll be done with it forever when i finish up my next mod. Now the question... How do ya'll get away with working on your car and still spend enough time with the wife/girlfriend. Do you just have to find a certain type of girl that will accomodate your accentric hobby or does it just take time before she will understand? She always complains that everything would be great if i didnt have that stupid car. Advice please.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

Default control, control!

if you didn't have the "stupid car" she'd probably have something else about you to want to change.

people (should) have hobbies, and everyone needs some time away from their significant other on occasion. if she doesn't get that, she's either a control freak and/or too needy.

if you really ARE spending all your time in the garage, you'll probably need to find a g/f who doesn't mind, or better yet, likes cars.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have to develop a real good trait called selective hearing when she starts blah blah blahing about your car just think about your next mod and shake your head in agreement
Old 01-03-2010, 01:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jsteele90
you have to develop a real good trait called selective hearing when she starts blah blah blahing about your car just think about your next mod and shake your head in agreement
What he said.

But in all seriousness, you either need to get her to understand that its an important part of who you are. My wife could care less about the car, definitely would prefer I spent the time with her instead, but she understands that its something I really like and she can appreciate that. She knows the car is never going anywhere and if I blow the engine, its just getting a new one. She doesn't nag me about it because she knows its important to me. Your girl either needs to come to understand that or I'd suggest finding someone else. The nagging will never stop unless she understands its importance to you AND she can let it go. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:56 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would tell her to pay a shop to do all your mods if she wants more time out of you
Old 01-03-2010, 02:09 AM
Launching!

this was back when i was buildin trucks...but same situation. i dealt with it, but had to find a solution when she started callin my truck a pos because i was always workin on it. she had never been around cars or trucks. so i made a deal that if she hung out in the garage and showed some interest i would do the same in one of her hobbies and we could see where it went. she started out talkin and sorta watchin, but i could tell she was bored. i cant remember what i was doin, but i had her hold somethin while i tightened it down even tho it was unnecessary. next thing i know she was fetchin tools(which was slow at first cause she had to learn the tools, but worth it in the long run). after a month or two she was an expert (so she thought). that may work, then again, maybe i just got lucky.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. when i started this post, I was mad about an argument we just had. She knows its important to me, but i do blow her off sometimes because the UPS truck shows up. Just needed someone to tell me that it was normal for her to complain about not spending enough time with her.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

the real dilemma is whether or not your LSX knows you're cheating on her with the girlfriend??????
Old 01-05-2010, 06:06 PM
The House is Rockin'

Originally Posted by GothMetalForever
the real dilemma is whether or not your LSX knows you're cheating on her with the girlfriend??????

be quite.....very very quite. or your tranny might just take a dump
Old 01-06-2010, 12:01 AM
Launching!

Well I agree with some of the fellas on this... I had sorta the same issue but when my girlfriend met me she met me as a gear head and at first all my time went 2 her n tryin 2 get her after that was done it was back to the car and friday nights at the race track. She talked about it at first but then I conviced her 2 go 2 the track and she liked it. I would say talk to your girl and you kinda gotta compromise on this one go half n half and if its a mod thats gotta be done like ASAP then hell get her to come with you in the garage ya'll can talk while ur workin and the car like ls6firebird said try to get her involved either by helping or just having her there. Girls always want 2 feel like they're ur #1 priority its our job to make them THINK that they are when sometimes our ride comes 1st since sometimes its been around longer than she has.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:52 AM
Launching!

yea i think most arent as concerned with what your doin, just as long as they dont feel ignored...but i dunno haha. i was really surprised how it turned out including her in the garage, i think she was too. the worst part was the day she learned that when i start throwin tools and talkin to god....its NOT a good time to ask me what's wrong. man i felt like an *** lol. life is easy when they think you need them