Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New Owner of an '04 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner of an '04 GTO

Hello everyone, my name is Kyle. I am the new owner of a 2004 Pontiac GTO. I just picked it up from a dealership in Ann Arbor. I live down by Toledo, Ohio.

I suspect that the car has some drop springs and an exhaust on it. Its black with black interior and light tint. It has about 78,000 miles.

Unfortunately I just had a clutch issue with it, but I think that is best left to another thread...

Old 05-15-2013, 04:16 PM

Does anyone know how common it is for the master or slave cylinders to go out on this car? I bought the car on Monday and I lost pedal feel in the clutch on Tuesday night. I had it towed back to the dealership that night and this morning they mentioned it was a hydraulic problem with the clutch. They are fixing it for me now free of charge, but they mentioned not knowing if it was the master or the slave cylinder. Which is more common? Is there any other damage I should look for with a problem like this?
Old 05-15-2013, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would say the slave in the transmission bell housing, which requires removing the transmission. I'd suggest having then replace the pilot bearing while the trans out, unless it in excellent condition and asking them how the clutch looks.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:36 AM
Staging Lane

Looks clean, I like how it looks in black.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the input. I really like the black it looks great from the side with the tint. I will post up some more pics. I don't think I can get them to replace anything else while they are at it. They are fixing it free of charge when I technically bought the car "as is" and it broke after the purchase. Its worth asking though.

Should I look into replacing/upgrading the master or slave cylinder? Is this something that will continually break until it is upgraded? I am a little worried of what I am getting into here. Is this failure a sign that the car was beat to hell at some point? or is it something that just happens and is normal wear?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the site! A part that will be worthwhile in buying. -->

http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...6-pontiac-gto/

I have a Tick Adjustable MC in my car and love it. I was also plagued by the "sticking to the floor" clutch pedal. If you're new car with 78K miles on it and is still on the factory clutch and hydraulics, that would indeed sound like the cause of your problems. It's normal wear for any 6 speed car.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have to agree with SweeTbone, the Tick clutch MC is a worth while upgrade, I have it on my Z28. The clutch SC is perfectly fine with a gm replacement.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:12 AM

Thanks guys, I think I will get that Tick MC in the future. Since the new one they are putting in will get me by for the time being I will stay with that until it is more of a need.

I suspect, but am not certain that there is an after market clutch in the car. It feels heavier than most other cars like it I have driven. My guess is that it went out and was replaced with something a little more heavy duty.

I should have the car back tonight so I can provide a better update tomorrow on it.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Teching In

nice car, welcome to Ls1tech
Old 05-20-2013, 01:05 PM

Default When it rains it pours...

Well, the dealership called and the car is still broken. The master cylinder has been replaced and there is now a "significant rattle" coming from the bell housing area. I tried to get more details, but couldn't think what else to ask. It must be pretty bad if they aren't willing to give the car back...

I suspect slave cylinder or bell housing... I don't think it is the clutch since they mentioned the car drove fine/no slippage when in first. Any ideas? You all would know better than I.

I am a little grumpy that I had the car for around 30 hours and it has been in the shop since Tuesday night. I bought it Monday afternoon....

So far they are fixing everything for free, which I am grateful for since the car was sold "As Is." What should I be prepared for if the dealer can't or won't fix this car?

Quick Reply: New Owner of an '04 GTO