Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Yes. This is Dog.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Yes. This is Dog.

Let's go ahead and state the soon to become obvious. I have no idea what I am doing. I'm 10-86 and located in the vicinity of Tallahassee in the Florida. I work at a local sheriffs office and a sign shop - and for myself. So if you need vinyl lettering or design hit me up. I just bought and took delivery of a complete pullout 4.8 from a retired Pepsi van. Van had high 290,000 miles. Yeah, I know what your thinking. But I bought it to learn on and a rebuild was expected but...

It came with 4l80e attached and drove well before it was pulled. Compression on all cylinders 160-170. As you can see intake is off now and wiring harness/misc stuff is in the box with all the connectors and stuff I can't identify.

Original plan was to store it in the bottom of a three story warehouse at one of my employers. It has a ramp, that ramp is not smooth. There are random boards criss-crossing said ramp. With my aforementioned lack of knowledge combined with my now divulged lack of practical automotive mechanical experience I underestimated the ramp.

So now it is on a cart and covered until I end up with a area to store it at my home. So now to arrange that and find a 5.0 roller or c10 to drop it into. IN the interim I need to get the motor and tranny separated and cleaned. Acquire tools and knowledge.

Let the learning begin.

10-86
Old 02-22-2016, 07:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome. I don't mind high mileage at all as long as the price is right. Cheap stuff is the best to learn on too lol.

Will this be your first project vehicle then or have you had something in the past?
Old 02-22-2016, 01:05 PM

I have about $800.00 wrapped up in it so far which is right on schedule for my taste. I'm a big fan of the Denmah/Sloppy Style so that checks all the right boxes.

This will be the first project really. I have always borrowed tools and the most extreme thing I have participated in was a cam change in a 350. I have always been mechanically inclined and my father was a parts department manager for years. So basic suspension, bolt on stuff doesnt worry me. Had some practice. That said, I stared at the wiring like I was about to get maced. I'm used to seeing a carb. But I'm not in a hurry and I can follow instructions.

So in the next few weeks the goal is a covered work area and tools and a roller. And probably a plan, that would help.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do yourself a favor, get a C-10 73-87 style. Easiest to install for beginner. Mounts for engine slotted type worked very well for me. A set of shorty headers that exit by tranny bellhousing fits very well. I know as I have mine on downhill slide to being done. Fuel sender for 87 chevy truck and walbro pump works fuel system easy. Lt1Swap.com on wiring info/pcm programming. He is quick about a week turn around time in mail. Look in my pics album. All Silverado stuff I had fit like made to happen.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:51 PM

Default That's the idea.

I love the square body chevy trucks. That is the most likely choice so far, but I can't promise anything. Should be looking at a few vehicles in the next few weeks. I'll check out your pics.

Quick Reply: Yes. This is Dog.