Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Weatherman from Denver..

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 09:42 AM
master of the "jack"stand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow just saw this thread. Another meteorologist here. I see that you worked for UAL, so you must have been in Chicago. I am from the suburbs. I work for a private company that does dispersion modeling and met tower maintenance and data collection/QC for nuclear and coal fired power plants. Good thing I don't forecast because I am not too good at it.

Welcome!
Old 08-03-2006, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

More Weatherguys/gals on here than I thought. Yes, left Chicago suburbs (Palatine) in May 2006. Got tired of working for a company that hadn't made a profit in 6 years.

Nice job being a Weather Forecaster. Get paid the same whether you are right or wrong. I do really enjoy it however. Must have thick skin though. Not being "right" all the time is not always a lot of fun.

Nice stance on your 2002 Z-28. Like those DMS Springs? Was always curious about the SLP 20TL exhaust. You don't see or hear many people running it. Heard it sounds good. See you have 4.10 gears. I'm debating going to 4.10's from the stock 3.42 M6.

Enjoy you met work, and your car. Thanks for the introduction and greeting.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:03 AM
master of the "jack"stand

Yes, I love the DMS springs. They make the car sit just right. Do yourself a favor and get some 4.10 gears. Seeing that you have heads/cam...it will be like night and day for you. I have a similar cam with stock heads, and the 4.10s really wake the car up, it is like adding the power of another cam!!

The 2OTL exhaust is my favorite among all the mufflers available for the LS1 cars. It is not raspy at all (even with offroad pipes and long tubes) and it just plain sounds mean...espcially with LTs and no cats. I imagine that GMMG sounds nice too with cats, they mask some of the rasp.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

nice welcome!!
Old 08-03-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good suggestion on the 4.10's. I'll put that down as my next project along with replacing the stock 10 bolt. Should add a new dimension to the car..Probably help in pulling up some of these mountain roads too.

Nice site (LS1 Tech). Since posting and using search.. have eliminated upper-rpm valvetrain problems by using a shorter pushrod (7.375") and putting stock rockers back on (had Comp Cams 1.75 Roller Rockers on before).

Now installing LS7 clutch. Always interesting to get various opinions & ideas from other people. There has been some very solid advice along the way.

I'll try to link up some pics..hope to get some mountains/snow in background.

Thanks again everyone..
Old 08-03-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

Welcome! Can you forecast about 20 inches of rain for the Dallas Ft Worth area?

Seriuosly, what is blocking all the moisture from moving into our area?
Old 08-03-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Joel SS..

Sorry, no rain for DFW for at least 4 days. Even though the low-level moisture is there (very humid)..Its all about the upper atmosphere. You have a very strong High pressure above the surface (~5000-40,000 feet). The air is just sinking. That sinking causes compression..which causes further drying aloft.
While more compression may be good for LS1 engines, for rain its bad..

You won't get rain til that upper-high moves off..(early next week).

..Hope that helps..
Old 08-03-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WeathermanShawn
Joel SS..

Sorry, no rain for DFW for at least 4 days. Even though the low-level moisture is there (very humid)..Its all about the upper atmosphere. You have a very strong High pressure above the surface (~5000-40,000 feet). The air is just sinking. That sinking causes compression..which causes further drying aloft.

..Hope that helps..
Seems like there has been an upper level high sitting over us all summer..
Old 08-03-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr Shawn The Weather Man... I hope your well..

All issues Aside I hope your happy with the Car.. Lets get that puppy back on the Dyno!!
Old 08-03-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Joel SS..

..Hope that helps..
anyone ever tell you that your really smart?
Old 08-03-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Weathermen would be more impressive if they caused weather, rather than predicted it!
Old 08-03-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, we will. For all of you who may know Hugger Orange SS..

He spent many hours, laptop in hand..tuning my car, both on the dyno & in real-life driving on some back roads in E. Colorado.

He posted up "Dip in Power any ideas" thread a few weeks ago in order to help me out. Thanks Clint.

..Shinerbock07..Thanks for the compliment. I only wish I was as knowledgeable about mechanical issues as the many people who post on this board are.

Hopefully, I will keep learning...Thank you though..
Old 08-03-2006, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

It's just wind.. who knows what it's going to do... LoL... ever see Weatherman the movie?
-=Rick
Old 08-04-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks again everyone for the nice greeting. I did 8 years in the U.S.A.F. as a weather observer, then as a weather forecaster. Just finished up 15 years with United Airlines as an Aviation Meteorologist.
Always loved Colorado..now I've settled in Denver.

I believe the valvetrain issue I previously had ~5800rpm's is solved. Removed the Comp Cam 1.75 Roller Rockers..Went back to stock rockers, and actually went with a shorter pushrod (7.375" vs 7.4).

No dyno to verify, but there was no hesitation in the upper rpm's from my test drive. Must have solved it, as it only took me 15 minutes of driving to totally smoke my clutch.

Now getting the LS7 Clutch kit installed. Should hold me just fine. I'm happy where I'm at power-wise. Previous dyno was 391HP SAE at 5800 rpm, before power dipped. Estimating ~420HP. Everything helps at this altitude.
I'm about to enter the Navy as an AG, hopefully anyways. it's all i've ever wanted to do.