Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello

Im new to this forum. I have an '00 T/A which at the moment really sucks. But more on that later...
Old 01-12-2008, 04:15 PM
12 Second Club

Hey girl.... welcome to the board.. So you have a T/A that is having problems huh.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We always welcome girls in f-bodys!! Welcome to the site. So why does your car suck at the moment? Where ya from?
Old 01-12-2008, 04:27 PM

Ok here it goes lol...

I have an 00 with 60k miles on it.

I have a misfire thats driving me crazy. First off of course I did plugs and wires. Tried swapping coil packs. When I hook the scan tool up to it it shows slight misfires on the 6 and 8 cylinder. Its pretty random and at first I tought it was just a fluke. So I have tested many things to try and solve the problem. Did a backpressure test on the cats, tested the MAF (and tried replacing it twice), blocked off the EGR and tested it, put the EVAP leak tamer on its and checked for Vacuum leaks. Nada. So I decided to do a compression test on the offending head. All cylinders came back the same accept for #6 which oddly enough, was higher than the other but still within spec. Compression tests dont always reveal valvletrain issues so I really didnt learn much from that test. So next I hooked it up to this little data recorder my boss bought which acts kind of like a scope. It displays the cars data along side each other in graphs. I can see the MAP sensor spiking at idle (which is when I feel the miss). So obviously something is wrong and its trying to compensate. So I'm pretty much running out of options and starting to think the heads need to come off. I havent tested each injector but the scan tool does show me the injectors together as bank 1 and bank 2 and those numbers are to spec. Fuel trim is good. I have yet to do a cylinder leakdown test. A valve issue might still not show up. Any ideas? I dont want to rip off the heads and not have that be the problem.

Oh and my rear end is going out too. Its noisy and the hardener is worn off the ring and pinion as well as the spider gears. Yep my bird is just shitting all over me lol.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:30 PM

Oh and Im from Monterey Cali. Thanks for the greetings.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1BirdGirl
Ok here it goes lol...

I have an 00 with 60k miles on it.

I have a misfire thats driving me crazy. First off of course I did plugs and wires. Tried swapping coil packs. When I hook the scan tool up to it it shows slight misfires on the 6 and 8 cylinder. Its pretty random and at first I tought it was just a fluke. So I have tested many things to try and solve the problem. Did a backpressure test on the cats, tested the MAF (and tried replacing it twice), blocked off the EGR and tested it, put the EVAP leak tamer on its and checked for Vacuum leaks. Nada. So I decided to do a compression test on the offending head. All cylinders came back the same accept for #6 which oddly enough, was higher than the other but still within spec. Compression tests dont always reveal valvletrain issues so I really didnt learn much from that test. So next I hooked it up to this little data recorder my boss bought which acts kind of like a scope. It displays the cars data along side each other in graphs. I can see the MAP sensor spiking at idle (which is when I feel the miss). So obviously something is wrong and its trying to compensate. So I'm pretty much running out of options and starting to think the heads need to come off. I havent tested each injector but the scan tool does show me the injectors together as bank 1 and bank 2 and those numbers are to spec. Fuel trim is good. I have yet to do a cylinder leakdown test. A valve issue might still not show up. Any ideas? I dont want to rip off the heads and not have that be the problem.

Oh and my rear end is going out too. Its noisy and the hardener is worn off the ring and pinion as well as the spider gears. Yep my bird is just shitting all over me lol.
Girl your automotive knowledge is music to my ears! Most girls can't even change a flat or operate their friggin radio, much less discuss leakdown tests and diagnose misfires .. You'll be right at home here.

I would suggest a leakdown test for damn sure as it sounds like you've done a lot of diagnosis already. With only 60k miles though I'm surprised you have any issues at all. My 2000 just hit 89k and I've never had any engine probs (knock on wood). Someone will have more info on your problem I do suggest posting your problem in the Generation III Internal Engine forum. Good luck with your car!!!
Old 01-12-2008, 04:53 PM

Thanks
Im a professional mechanic. been doing it for about a year now.

Last edited by LS1BirdGirl; 01-12-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice lookin ride! Beware of the leghumpers!
Old 01-12-2008, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

Oh snap, and we didn't even have to ask for your myspace link!

Nice pics

WELCOME!
Old 01-12-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

welcome to the site. I hope you figure it out. i remember when I first bought my car and had this intermittent start up issue that i could not figure out. It drove me nuts and left me stranded for awhile at times. Long story short it just ended up being a(simple) ignition relay. I'm sure you'll figure it out.Good luck
Old 01-12-2008, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Viscious
Nice lookin ride! Beware of the leghumpers!
Ha ha I love your Ford advatar. Can I steal it?
Old 01-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Now you have my attention

Originally Posted by LS1BirdGirl
Ha ha I love your Ford advatar. Can I steal it?
I guess it should be advertised. ^_^
Old 01-13-2008, 04:24 AM
Launching!

Dont like the avatar! ford isnt

Anyway.. I hate problems like your having.. very hard to diagnose. Maybe its possible plugs? I dont think i read you put new ones in? How did this problem come about.. was it just all of a sudden?
Old 01-13-2008, 04:39 AM
Launching!

Maybe its a 2 way street
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2008, 05:02 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Welcome to the board!Sounds like with your background you will definately be an asset to the board!

Was looking at you site...what happend to the SS??

Good luck on your problem!
Old 01-13-2008, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice TA ... thought it was mine ... lol! New wheels look great!!! Welcome ...
Old 01-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

welcome to the boards...