LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

why no gain??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why no gain??

Ok I just got done doing my 1.7 scorpion roller rockers swap, I put new hardened push rods, crane double springs, and guide plates, I had the 1.6 gm bowtie roller rockers, but heard that this swap would give me some gain, went back to the track after the swap, and ran the exact same times. And I do mean EXACT. Shouldn't I have gain somehting for this swap at all?? Or is there something else that I need to do??
Old 10-17-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

stock heads?
maybe your maxed on the flow that a few more thousand don't make a differance
but thats just a guess.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

i think you need a supercharger!
Old 10-17-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slagger
stock heads?
maybe your maxed on the flow that a few more thousand don't make a differance
but thats just a guess.
I'm sure if they're ported out, they're also maxed heh

From LE himself: "92-96 LT1 heads flow about 210/150 cfm. The 97 model (561 castings) flow 215/160 cfm."

Which would be in the .500 lift area. And if you go by the 5th results here (avg of the above 4), that's pretty close to it.
http://74.125.95.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=1&gl=us

So going from 1.6 (.525) to 1.7 (.558) won't help much :\ I've heard 1.6Int and 1.7Exh isn't a bad way to go though. Since you have both, could always try it.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all that stuff really isnt going to make a diff....1.7s are pointless without pp
Old 10-18-2008, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can ignore the first 4 posts, frankly they are all bad info. Your lack of gains has nothing to do with the flow of the heads. They are miles from maxed out just because of 1.7 rockers. Head flow does not come in to play here.

You say you ran the same times. What about MPH? Did it go any faster? You should be first looking at the MPH it trapped over the ET it ran. MPH tells whether you lost or gained power. You could have had a worse 60' (spinning) with the new parts or just because of cooler track temps and lack of traction.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

You can also ignore the post above me. He's just a grouchy idiot who down talks quite a few people on here.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same E.T same m/p/h and i went back to the track twice and all my time slips from before and after are an exact match. I had no traction issues and temperatures were about the same. I wouldve been happy with at-least 1/10th for the 500 dollars i spent.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:53 AM
12 Second Club

You can also ignore the post above me. He's just a grouchy idiot who down talks quite a few people on here.
Spreading bad info does not do anyone any good. I am a grouchy idiot because I pointed it out? Grow up you tool.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:00 AM
12 Second Club

I had the same E.T same m/p/h and i went back to the track twice and all my time slips from before and after are an exact match. I had no traction issues and temperatures were about the same. I wouldve been happy with at-least 1/10th for the 500 dollars i spent.
-1.7 rockers aren't going to gain much over 1.6s. Maybe in the ballpark of 5hp.

-Valve springs are going to provide little to no gain on a stock cam, unless the stock ones were bad.

-Pushrods at a stockish rpm level are going to have no effect on power.

-Guide plates are just for the pushrods (you already know this)

So yeah it sucks that you spent $500 and gained next to nothing, but it makes sense for the parts added. Hopefully you did your homework and got some springs that would be good for a future cam swap. All your other parts should be, including the pushrods provided you don't surface the heads or deck the block between now and then. It's not wasted money, it was just spent more on supporting mods than power adding ones.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fergymoto
Spreading bad info does not do anyone any good. I am a grouchy idiot because I pointed it out? Grow up you tool.
those first 4 posts arent bad info!!! just because you upgrade to 1.7s doesnt mean ****!! without good flow it wont matter!!

go pp your heads and then look at your times....garuntee they are better!!

fergy you get everyone in here raging because you act like a hardass and you really make yourself look like a dick!!!!!
Old 10-18-2008, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

he will see a diff if he utilzes his parts and pps his heads to allow the new mods to do their thing! you will really see a big diff when you do your heads and cam though
Old 10-18-2008, 01:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jarretthise
he will see a diff if he utilzes his parts and pps his heads to allow the new mods to do their thing! you will really see a big diff when you do your heads and cam though
Guess it might not be a bad time for me to look into 1.7's and supporting parts over my LT4 1.6's... and maybe a 503 cam to replace my LT4... my porting done already though probably is not enough... oh well

Last edited by Cross; 10-18-2008 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:15 AM
12 Second Club

Alright man if you want to think I'm a hardass and a dick you can go ahead and keep on thinking that. I'm not going to waste anymore of my time argueing or trying to get you to grasp the point that IF YOU DO NOT KNOW, YOU SHOULD NOT GIVE ADVICE. Bad info is far worse than no info.

You told him he gained nothing by switching to 1.7 rockers because his heads don't flow enough
Old 10-18-2008, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Alright man if you want to think I'm a hardass and a dick you can go ahead and keep on thinking that. I'm not going to waste anymore of my time argueing or trying to get you to grasp the point that IF YOU DO NOT KNOW, YOU SHOULD NOT GIVE ADVICE. Bad info is far worse than no info.

You told him he gained nothing by switching to 1.7 rockers because his heads don't flow enough
for one you dont do mods like this with stock cam!! and when he upgrades his cam he will want to do heads along with that!!! that is not false info!! his heads and cam setup is all wrong right now!! he needs to pp his heads and get a new cam and make sure his numbers all match up!! thats what im saying!! how is that false? you taking it the wrong way or what?
Old 10-18-2008, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

and you dont have to go about saying we are wrong by being a dick either man!! you could be nice like all of us and say hey this will be best not they are all wrong!! be nice man and dont dis ppl in here...
Old 10-18-2008, 01:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

for one you dont do mods like this with stock cam!! and when he upgrades his cam he will want to do heads along with that!!! that is not false info!! his heads and cam setup is all wrong right now!! he needs to pp his heads and get a new cam and make sure his numbers all match up!! thats what im saying!! how is that false? you taking it the wrong way or what?
To be fair, he has a Hot Cam.

But Fergy, you can't fairly say that if you have maxed out the flow capabilities of heads and throw in more lift (to add more flow and the slightest duration), you will gain something substantial. Only way to achieve that is by higher density of that which you are trying to flow, in this case air. In which you'd need forced induction. As for the valve springs, you really think that? I wouldn't run 1.6s on stock springs! Pretty much everyone here knows that the stock springs are only good for stock 1.5s and stock cam, any upgrade and you put in new springs! Who's giving out bad info?
Old 10-18-2008, 01:40 AM
TECH Addict

-1.7 rockers aren't going to gain much over 1.6s. Maybe in the ballpark of 5hp.

-Valve springs are going to provide little to no gain on a stock cam, unless the stock ones were bad.

-Pushrods at a stockish rpm level are going to have no effect on power.

-Guide plates are just for the pushrods (you already know this)

So yeah it sucks that you spent $500 and gained next to nothing, but it makes sense for the parts added. Hopefully you did your homework and got some springs that would be good for a future cam swap. All your other parts should be, including the pushrods provided you don't surface the heads or deck the block between now and then. It's not wasted money, it was just spent more on supporting mods than power adding ones.
Good info.

those first 4 posts arent bad info!!! just because you upgrade to 1.7s doesnt mean ****!! without good flow it wont matter!!

go pp your heads and then look at your times....garuntee they are better!!

fergy you get everyone in here raging because you act like a hardass and you really make yourself look like a dick!!!!!
His times will be better because of the head porting, not the roller rockers. Get your head out of your ***, Fergy is giving good info. All you keep saying is PPS your headz omgz!?!!!11
Old 10-18-2008, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

Sorry to hear you didn't gain much (or anything)
Had you read that someone else had good results from this mod?
Old 10-18-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by snk-huntr
Ok I just got done doing my 1.7 scorpion roller rockers swap, I put new hardened push rods, crane double springs, and guide plates, I had the 1.6 gm bowtie roller rockers, but heard that this swap would give me some gain, went back to the track after the swap, and ran the exact same times. And I do mean EXACT. Shouldn't I have gain somehting for this swap at all?? Or is there something else that I need to do??
I gained from swapping to 1.7s from 1.6s. But, I did change my shift points from 5900-6200+. I picked up over 2 mph and went from 8.28 to 8.1 in the 1/8th. Full weight, roll cage, completely stock suspension, a/c, power everything. It worked for me. I hope it works for you. If I were you, I'd do some R&D on 1.6/1.7 staggering. I've heard of gains with that route as well.

Quick Reply: why no gain??