LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 cam/lift question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LT1 cam/lift question

I need some advice for my 93 M6 LT1.

I'm just starting to do some simple mods for my formula, its my daily driver so I want decent mileage yet (not terribly important), but I want a little more power under the hood. I've got all my cosmetics done so now it's time for some performance mods.

What I want is a cam that I can put in without having to burn a new chip for my computer.

Also I was wondering what the max valve lift is on stock LT1 heads with stock valve springs.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

SD requires a bunch of baby sitting! if you do a cam you will need a chip done no question about that.......as far as valve springs they are barley sufficient for the stock cam much less a performance orientated cam!
i would suggest at this point you do more research as to what really works and the steps involved to achieve a goal without damaging the motor and spending money on mistakes.......
New valvesprings
New retainers
New valve locks
New 1.6 roller rockers
New hardened pushrods
New guide plates
255 lph fuel pump
you have no sig so, i will also say you need hedders!
possibly at this point you are ready for a camshaft swap,timing chain and a chip or dyno tune to get you started.....
when you see the big picture purchasing a set of LE heads and custom cam begin to look less expensive for the gain
Old 10-21-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you really dont need a 255pump i got a stock pump with a cam and 36lb injec....works perfect and made some decent number on the dyno. id go custom cam threw "ai" they made me a very happy customer
Old 10-21-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SPEEDYTRANSAM1996
you really dont need a 255pump i got a stock pump with a cam and 36lb injec....works perfect and made some decent number on the dyno. id go custom cam threw "ai" they made me a very happy customer
What are your mods and cam specs?
Old 10-22-2008, 12:14 AM
TECH Junkie

For a daily, I'd recommend a hotcam or something towards that stature. I have many hotcam tunes if you do decide to go that way
Old 10-22-2008, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SPEEDYTRANSAM1996

+1 you don't need a pump as I am running my 383 with SVO 30#ers on the stock pump and never loose pressure.

I would recc one if you are boosting or spraying and want a more reliable flow at WOT.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
New valvesprings
New retainers
New valve locks
New 1.6 roller rockers
New hardened pushrods
New guide plates
255 lph fuel pump
you have no sig so, i will also say you need hedders!
possibly at this point you are ready for a camshaft swap,timing chain and a chip or dyno tune to get you started.....
He's right on most things.

If you're trying to do this on a budget though, you don't need the hardened pushrods and guide plates UNLESS you go with NSA Roller Rockers. You should be fine on the stock Fuel Pump too.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
I need some advice for my 93 M6 LT1.

I'm just starting to do some simple mods for my formula, its my daily driver so I want decent mileage yet (not terribly important), but I want a little more power under the hood. I've got all my cosmetics done so now it's time for some performance mods.

What I want is a cam that I can put in without having to burn a new chip for my computer.

Also I was wondering what the max valve lift is on stock LT1 heads with stock valve springs.
I see no list of the mods you now have. You should start with bolt-on's and then move up to the cam. I have gained 44 rwhp since my first dyno with just bolt-ons. A pcmforless tune was my first mod and well worth it.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lt1-xjs
I see no list of the mods you now have. You should start with bolt-on's and then move up to the cam. I have gained 44 rwhp since my first dyno with just bolt-ons. A pcmforless tune was my first mod and well worth it.
Yeah my car is completely stock right now

93 6 speed LT1 Formula, 3:23 gears, 93,000 miles, 1 of 92 93' green formulas with a 6 speed and t-tops.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lt1-xjs
Agreed.

Quick Reply: LT1 cam/lift question