Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

suspension/18" wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension/18" wheel question

So I've done alot of research but still confused, so I had to register and ask. I just bought some wheels and I'm getting pre install jitters.

I have 2002 z28. Planning on using sportlines. Just bought c5 replicas 17s front 18s rear. Thats where my problem starts. The rears are 10.5" wide 18s with a -56mm offset. Planning on putting a regualar 295/35ZR18. Theres to many threads saying I dont need to mod and so many saying I do. So whats the real answer? Don't really want to use the BFH, spacers or roll anything.
So main question, will sportlines be a bad idea? ARe there any companies that make something like 1.6"fr and maybe 1.2" rear drop. And can if I do drop excessively in the rear, can the heater hose mod be used with the rubber top still in place maybe giving me back a little lift???

Sorry its long but I dont have time to run into problems while being busy with school and work right now.

Thanx for any help in advance.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have C6 replicas that are the same as yours and am running the same size tires. Sportlines are a bad idea. I have Strano lowering springs and needed the BFH, rolled lips and spacers.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:37 AM
TECH Junkie

In my opinion, the springs or ride height doesn't make a whole lot of difference when it comes to wide wheels. The clearance issues are mostly on the side of the tire or corner of it, not above the tire. Also the fender lip. Besides, stock springs or aftermarket, you still go through the same suspension travel.

I would try the rear wheels first with no modification. All cars are different. If you rub a little, it's not the end of the world. I'd keep the BFH available to bang in the inner fender. I wouldn't roll the outter fender unless you know your going to rub it. You might not.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
I have C6 replicas that are the same as yours and am running the same size tires. Sportlines are a bad idea. I have Strano lowering springs and needed the BFH, rolled lips and spacers.
Me too, except for the rolled fenders. I didnt have to do that. I have Stranos springs (in the rear). My wheels were a +58mm offset and with a 5/16" spacer I still had rubbing on the wheel well. I've never had a problem with the fender lip, however a different brand tire would probably have different results. With sportlines, YOU WILL HAVE RUBBING period. Sportlines are a suspension geometry disaster. Do not buy them. The pro-kit is better, and have a little less drop. But withe the pro-kit youll eventually have rear spring sag. I realize Sam Stranos springs are on backorder but if you can wait, buy them. If not, i'd say go with maybe BMR's springs or Hotchkiss.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Teching In

thanx for the help guys. I don't think I want to deal with sportlines, I was thinking I'd be happy with a porkit but hate the sag I keep hearing about, so I'll probably go with DMS :-) a (1.25" drop) sounds good enough, especially with some of the pics I've seen. Stranos say 1.75" max. 5/16" spacer will hopefully be a last resort, if 56mm offset actually rubs.

thanx for replies guys, I appreciate it.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Teching In

so I can't find a DMS seller anymore. and my other option sam strano, but he says his rear aren't as stiff as Vogtlands.... so if I have a pretty heavy sounds system in the trunk, I'd probably be better off go with the stiff Vogtlands!???????

Anybody wanna verify this idea.......
Old 10-26-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by yezzir600
thanx for the help guys. I don't think I want to deal with sportlines, I was thinking I'd be happy with a porkit but hate the sag I keep hearing about, so I'll probably go with DMS :-) a (1.25" drop) sounds good enough, especially with some of the pics I've seen. Stranos say 1.75" max. 5/16" spacer will hopefully be a last resort, if 56mm offset actually rubs.

Strano springs are a 1.2" drop.

so I can't find a DMS seller anymore. and my other option sam strano, but he says his rear aren't as stiff as Vogtlands.... so if I have a pretty heavy sounds system in the trunk, I'd probably be better off go with the stiff Vogtlands!???????

Anybody wanna verify this idea.......
First off, why do you want to lower? For the look?
How heavy do you think your sound system is?
BTW don't skimp out on shocks, you will regret it.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BMR rears are a 1' drop and 20#'s stiffer than Stranos. Just an idea to consider. IMHO anything Eibach for an f-body sucks doody But I am spoiled
Old 10-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Teching In

The drop is for the look. I don't need test my handling skills, I have a bike for that. And the system is very heavy custom setup for amps and subs, takes two people to lift. I've really hesitant to put the rear shocks, which I know I should, because I dont feel like disconnecting everything to roll the carpet up and re wire the whole setup.
I'm sure I want more than just a 1" drop.
I've heard to much negative from both lines of eibachs.
1.2" sounds right with the stranos but did anyone want to comment on Vogtlands?
And I don't want to drag race... Tires for 18s are expensive and I've learned from my tickets.
Don't want to go through any backorder wait so I'm lookin at H&R or Vogtlands right now....
Any help?
Old 10-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Teching In

So I think I'm gonna try H&Rs with BilsteinHD Fr/Konis Rr (koni fr are so damn expensive). We'll see in couple days what a buy. Wanna to try the stiffness of the Vogtlands because of the trunk weight but don't feel being a high spring rate test dummy.

let me know if this mismatch or if vogtlands are a good idea?
Old 10-27-2008, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

So I think I'm gonna try H&Rs with BilsteinHD Fr/Konis Rr (koni fr are so damn expensive). We'll see in couple days what a buy. Wanna to try the stiffness of the Vogtlands because of the trunk weight but don't feel being a high spring rate test dummy.

let me know if this mismatch or if vogtlands are a good idea?
Are H&R springs 600lbs/in front / 200lbs/in rear?
You are putting a shock on the front that is made to handle 300lbs/in and with over an inch more travel to do so. Good luck with that...
Old 10-27-2008, 11:24 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Where did you get that 1.75" number regarding my springs? That's not at all correct unless you have a concrete block in the back of the car.

And as was mentioned you can't fix a wheel/tire fitment issue with springs (don't care who's they are).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-27-2008, 11:26 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

FWIW, I sell both H&R and Vogtland production springs (I just don't love either).

It seems to me, and excuse me for being so bold, that you are trying to do this in a hurry and with limited information that you "think" is correct--and you have at least some misconceptions in your thinking.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Junkie

I really don't think a difference in spring stiffness prevents wheel clearance issues. Stock springs, aftermarket springs, whatever... the tire travels as far as the bumpstops allow

For 1, you won't have as much trouble as someone trying to fit a 315 sized tire. Your best bet... just get the wheel and put it on. Wheel rubbing isn't catistrophic. If you rub, then get out the big hammer and make room. You get visual feedback where you rub on the tire and the fender. Bang that part in.

PS: Sportlines suck
Old 10-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Are H&R springs 600lbs/in front / 200lbs/in rear?
You are putting a shock on the front that is made to handle 300lbs/in and with over an inch more travel to do so. Good luck with that...
hmm didn't know what weight certain shocks could handle:-( just know that a lot of people rave that konis are the "only" option for lowered cars even tho regular people can't afford them now or later. Of course i'm not a huge expert on shocks and spring, but dont want to or intend to be, just want to lower my car, not a fan of 4x4s.

Where did you get that 1.75" number regarding my springs? That's not at all correct unless you have a concrete block in the back of the car.

And as was mentioned you can't fix a wheel/tire fitment issue with springs (don't care who's they are).
I'm past the wheel fitment, I think I got that handled. As far as the 1.75" goes for your springs, I know for a fact I saw exactly, maybe it was in regards to all makes and models but thats what it said and I do wish I had the link now to back this up but I couldn't find it (at the moment).
And a " concrete block in the back of the car"?? Yes. 1) I power lift a damn good amount of weight and I will never pull that system out myself. 2) We all know from various threads you hate stiff rear springs, but I dont want to drag race at the track or street. I just want my car to hold it's stance, not sag, get me to work and school, and last.
Since you dont revalve anymore and I cant afford konis, maybe i'm assed out. I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way. I do know people with complete setup 9.7s maros and some with dropped on stock shock daily drivers, I dont want either of the extremes.

REAL WORLD advice is what I was looking for.
Maybe I should just head to kragen and get free lifetime warranty!!!
I'll post pics here when I'm done in a couple weeks, yes a couple weeks work and school actually do take up some time.

Thanx sam strano, but not really.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Konis arent the only option. BUt they are pretty much the best for an f-body. Tokiko adjustables, but i always here people having problems with them.

Last edited by michaelg589; 10-27-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I guess I won't be able to help you out then. My rear springs are stiffer than some common and popular lowering springs, not as stiff as others. I guess that the fact they are some 25% stiffer than stock springs and not progressive in rate (meaning they are never softer than the 150 when the car is on the ground) really doesn't matter.

If you think that going to Kragen and getting "lifetime warranty" shocks is in any way equivilent to good damping control I'm sorry to say you are very, very wrong. I didn't say a word about Koni's, or any other shock in this thread. I was trying to tell you that you have a lot of ideas that aren't necessarily correct and will result in a not good result.

I don't know why you'd say something like "thanx sam strano, but not really" when I was such a bastard trying to corrent some of your mistakes. That said, I guess what you want to hear is that whatever you pick will be right because you came up with it.

In that case why not get yourself a set of Sportlines and run them with some 75k mile old Monroe shocks?

And I still don't know what you are talking about with regards to 1.75" and Strano Springs. They don't lower that far, and it's way beyond the recommended drop too. Got me, but I guess facts shouldn't get in the way of your supposed facts. You said: "the 1.75" goes for your springs, I know for a fact I saw exactly, maybe it was in regards to all makes and models but thats what it said and I do wish I had the link now to back this up but I couldn't find it (at the moment)." You've got me stumped with that one, I can't even follow the sentence.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To the original poster...I'd highly recommend you set your ego aside on this one. Trust me...I've been in your shoes, and didn't want to believe Sam when I was younger because I just thought he was going to cost me money.

In the end, I've spent more fixing my original mistakes when I should have listened to Sam in the first place.

With all due respect, but not really - pull your head out of your retarded powerlifting ***.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Definitely shouldnt doubt Sams knowledge bro. Your asking for "real world experience" and told sam "thanks, but not really"?????????
Old 10-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Never doubted his knowledge. Just have read his knowledgable but biased, know it all opinion in almost every thread.
Maybe it's not 1.75" but I would love to have link (which when I find in my history I'll post) and you could correct that, not me.
Real world experience is different from real world, daily life application.
The whole kragen thing was called sarcasm.

And the tone my young *** is using or my retarded pwerlifting *** Meent2 SSay in this reply is that I already new sam was going to have some nut danglers swing back and forth keeping them nice and warm in any situation. Did you follow that sentence or were you stump with my improper grammer.

I started this post very humble, ended with a big ego; but **** it, i'm still in the same boat.
So thanx, but yea not really.

Quick Reply: suspension/18" wheel question