Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 12 bolt installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moser 12 bolt installed

Just got mine installed today - what a difference in the two rears seeing them sitting side by side! Makes you realize just how puny the stock 10 bolt is. The Moser is a work of art and looks real good underneath the car. Did the break in as per Moser's instructions - no real issues with the 4.11's, a slight whine at 50mph or so, but nothing serious or even noticeable unless you're really listening for it. But I now have some SERIOUS traction issues, even with drag radials . I'll be heading to the track this weekend but I'm going to have to learn to drive this thing all over again now *L*. I'll be definitely needing slicks now to take full advantage - but it's REAL nice know I'll be actually able to launch on slicks with out worrying about the rear anymore.

P.S. just one small fly in the ointmen - all the parts where there except the fitting for the axle tube vent hole. Made do with another part though.

To sum up, I'm VERY happy with the new 12 bolt!
Old 09-16-2003, 03:35 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: Moser 12 bolt installed

Wow Bill, what made you step up to a 12-bolt so early in your mod list? Getting ready for some mo' powah?

Put some real slicks on there and go break a driveshaft for us, its fun!

Tony
Old 09-16-2003, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I busted my 10 bolt Tony, so I wasn't sinking any more money into that. Plus with the plans I got for the coming year, figured that 12 bolt'd be needed soon anyway! *L*
Old 09-16-2003, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

how was the install? any tips?
Old 09-17-2003, 05:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Probably the best tip I can think of is to pick up all the odds 'n ends you need to complete the job BEFORE the 12 bolt arrives - saves you a lot of running around on install day .

- 8 fine thread 3/8 nuts (why Moser sends the T bolts but no nuts for them I have NO idea, they cost all of 25 cents each)

- Ujoint (couldn't find the NAPA one, so I used Precision (made by Federal Mogul) part #447)

- red thread locker for the T/A bolts

- two 3" muffler clamps (for sway bar mounts)

- NONsynthetic gear oil (used Castrol 80W90)

- 4oz GM limited slip additive

- long plastic ties (to secure brake lines)

Another tip if you ordered the T/A cover is when filling the rear after the install, don't use the fill hole on the T/A cover - use the one on the back of the pumpkin. Using the one on the T/A cover is overdoing it IMO - oil shoots out the vent hole hose!

Other than that, have fun!
Old 09-17-2003, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dont forget about 12 inches of 1/2" rubber hose for the axle vent.

Other then that, his list is right on the money. I run Redline 80W90, and bought all grade 8 bolts for my torque arm mount. Make sure you 100% follow the break in procedure. Dont be afraid to follow it one extra heat cycle or two for a little added insurance.

The Moser is an excellent unit, but they do put out a few rearend that will have to be relashed after assembly. Mine was fine, but I had it checked anyway. I have heard of a few coming out of the factory that howl like bejebus.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

i understand everything but the U-joint? lost me there
Old 09-17-2003, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Universal joint - connects the end of the drive shaft to the yoke on the rear end.

Yep, forgot to list that vent hose!
Old 09-17-2003, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

how much does that cost and can u get them local?
Old 09-17-2003, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What exactly is the "break-in" procedure? Just wondering I'm suppose to be getting my car tomorrow. With the 12-bolt and 4.11's. I cant wait. I'm so excited about it...lol. Well let me know a little on the breaking in part...laterz Justin
Old 09-18-2003, 04:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

You should be able to get the u-joint at any decent auto parts store - cost me 25 bucks Can$...so a bit less than that in US$.

The break in procedure is pretty simple - before taking the car off the hoist, run it in forward and then reverse for a couple minutes each way. Then take the car down and drive it for 10 miles and then letting it cool off for at least an hour, driving it easy and taking it to no more that 2500-3000 rpm in each gear. As Fast SS said, it wouldn't hurt to put it through a couple heat cycles like that, it's what I did too. Then drive the car normally, changing the rear end fluid again after 500 miles.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like Bill is gonna have the fastest F-Bod up on the Rock Eh boy? I bet the 12 bolt gives you a whole new meaning to getting screeched huh Bill? Get some ET drags, launch around 4500 to 5K rpm and you'll be having lots'o fun!
PS: as soon as it's broken in, switch that dino crap oil to some Redline shockproof heavy formula gear oil.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I recommend three (3) heat cycles of 10 miles, 1-2 hours of cooling. After the great 3.73 gear debacle of 1996 in my Vortech Z-28.

The shop I used to use never explained "heat cycling" and I picked up my car, took it around the corner and promptly did a monster burnout, then launched against my 3200 converter. No problem. Drove it home.
Next day I decided to run to Blair, Nebraska which is about 40 miles north of Omaha. No problem. I got up there, took care of some business, and I got back in the car....clunk, clunk, clunk. WTF?? I nursed it back to Omaha, got about two blocks from home....kabloooie!!!! Nothing.
Took it back to the shop. New gears installed, mechanic figured the set was bad. Guess what? I took it out beat on it, then drove it to West Omaha that night.....and started street racing. KABLOOIE!!!! Another set bites the dust.

Finally, the shop owner asked me if I was properly heat cycling the rearend.....well duh, what the hell is that? He shook his head in disgust, replaced the gears, and kept my car overnight, HE HEAT CYCLED THEM. I felt like a total moron.

Gee that was a long story. Just heat cycle em 3 times.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like Bill is gonna have the fastest F-Bod up on the Rock Eh boy? I bet the 12 bolt gives you a whole new meaning to getting screeched huh Bill? Get some ET drags, launch around 4500 to 5K rpm and you'll be having lots'o fun!
PS: as soon as it's broken in, switch that dino crap oil to some Redline shockproof heavy formula gear oil.
I WISH Steve LOL! But I'm working on it Last night was cruise night and the first time I really got on it...over and over ...since getting the new rear and man o man does it feel like a whole different car. And what a nice feeling to be able to power shift thru the gears and not having to worry about the rear (or clutch either for that matter with the SPEC) getting hurt. THIS is the way GM should have made this car right from the factory! A good buddy with a '02 WS6 and basically the exact same mods as I do still passed me at the top of 3rd though, so I still got some work to do *L*.

About the rear end oil, Moser says to use dino oil only with the Eaton posi - something to do with the clutch packs. You're using Redline with no trouble?

Fast SS, that's learning the hard way for sure! I'm glad there's boards like this so I don't have to go thru that *L*.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

TRACK UPDATE!

Well with no other changes than the Moser this time out, I dropped an even three tenths off my previous best ET going from 12.94 to 12.64, and that was at a two mph slower trap speed of 113 vs. 115! Even got a 1.8 60' out of the Nittos, launching at 4000rpm. Had a bunch of 12.6 runs and neither the new rear nor the SPEC clutch so much as whimpered all day long - I'm enjoying my car all over again!
Old 09-22-2003, 11:25 PM
Launching!

bill what was your rear end gear ratio before the 12 bolt swap?
Old 09-23-2003, 07:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had 3.73's in the stock rear.