Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Vats / Key // Security Question - Please Help !

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vats / Key // Security Question - Please Help !

ok, so here is what's happening : i bought a 98 v-6 camaro from the insurance auction, it was missing keys so i ordered them from the dealer by the vin # / when i got the keys i noticed ( after the fact) that the ignition tumbler was destroyed internally and the new key would not turn it

i decided to change the complete steering column from a later v-8 car i had

my question is this : now that the different column is in and the key actually turns now, it will not start or even turn over / i am aware that the VATS KEYS have different values to them, so do i just need to measure the value of the original key and get that blank value and cut it to the new key's pattern ?

i guess i am wondering where the value of the chipped key is measured at ?
is it in the steering column itself, or somewhere in the dash by way of a module or some other device ???

any help would help !
thanks - shane
Old 10-25-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So the key you're using is from the donor column right? If the resistance value of the one the dealer cut you is correct (wasn't previously changed/reprogrammed) cutting a new key with that value should work. You could pick up some resistors from radio shack and plug them into the connector under the dash to try it first, or just bypass it. Believe the value is read by the BCM, don't know how to get it from there - if there's a way someone will chime in.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The resistance is read by the BCM and there is no way to determine the required resistance from the BCM. Once a new BCM is programmed for a particular resistance value, it can never be reprogrammed. So, if you have the correct key that matches the BCM (from the VIN number) then all you have to do is get another key blank with that value and have it cut to match the ignition cylinder in the new column.