Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

94 TA DRL disable mod, quick question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 TA DRL disable mod, quick question

Hi, when i short out the daylight sensor located in the dash.. i do infact disable the DRLS.. but whats getting me is now whenever i start the car the lights pop up right away.. but they are infact off unless i flick the switch to on.. is there something else im missing pertaining to 94 Firebirds when it comes to disabling them? i like that they are off.. but the whole point was to make them not pop up ;-)
Old 10-13-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pretty sure DRL's didn't show up on F-body's until '97

My '95 doesn't even have them, how does your '94 have them? Unless it's a Canadian thing (searched your posts and saw you were from Canada).
Old 10-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 277 Likes on 241 Posts

If you're in Canada then you're risking a ticket (or repeated tickets) for not having DRLs functional. DRLs have been required on all cars in Canada since 1989.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:20 PM

Yes, its a Canadian thing but what i really want to achive is having the headlights not pop up and have the fogs on during the day.. im ok with all the otherDRL lights being on. thats how it is right now during the day for me.. but the sensor is too touchy and often on a cloudy day it pops the lights up and down numerous times and its really bothering me.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

DRLs and automatic headlights are two different things. How did you disable the automatic headlights? Did you use a plain piece of wire to short the sensor wires or did you use a resistor as some websites have mistakenly recommended? If you used a resistor, replace it with just a plain piece of wire - or better yet, just crimp on a scotchlock connector across both wires to short them together. Zero resistance in the sensor circuit is read as bright daylight so the headlights would never go on automatically but the headlight switch will still work for manual operation.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:50 PM

ill get out there and try it again.. but what i did last time was use a small peice of wire not a resistor... and the weird thing was it disabled the headlights.. but in turn it made the headlights automatically pop up when you turn the key to on... but the lights themselves are off..

normally for me without jumping the sensor they wont pop up and turn on unless its night.. or a really cloudy day, which is the normal function correct?

could there be a safety feature in canada that forces the lights up if it senses 0 resistance from the sensor? i guess i could go get a multimeter out and test its resistance in the dark and see if it is actually 0 or just a low number.

and to make this even more complicated.. with the sensor shorted out.. and the headlight switch to off.. the fog lamp switch doesnt turn the fog lights on.. so in essense i cant get ANY part of this to work for me.. I just really want to be able to drive around with the DRL's on.. the fogs on.. and the headlights down.. but i dont want to start hacking wires to get this done.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Zero resistance is the correct way to disable the sensor. US model Firebirds don't have the automatic headlights and they have a factory installed jumper (plain wire) connecting the two sensor wires in place of the sensor used in Canadian models.

The fog lights should go on with the parking lights as well as with the headlights but they will not go on by themselves regardless of the fog light switch position. Many states prohibit using fog lights without tail lights so that's how GM designed the circuit - the fog light circuit draws power from the parking lights. You'll have to turn the headlight switch to the first position to use your fog lights.

Perhaps there is a problem with the headlight door control module that is causing the lights to pop up even though they don't go on.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:57 PM

ok instead of the really thin piece of wire i used a thicker wire and tried again, and all is working well now.. i just have to flick the switch over to running lights.. my fogs turn on.. and my headlights are down and off. i couldnt ask for more.. now i can go back to the important stuff i took a break from to mess with the lights.. thanks for all the input man.. you guys rock.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do either of your headlights make a grinding sound when the headlights go down? if so that is your problem. when the headlight motor gears go bad, for whatever reason the headlights will pop up when the fog lights come on. i knew someone a few years ago in arizona who had a 97 that would do this when his fog lights were activated by his auto headlights.