LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Speaking of 1.7 roller rockers...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Speaking of 1.7 roller rockers...

I was reading through this thread on CZ28.com:

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/show...ht=ls1+rockers

...and it got me curious.

If drilling out the stud holes on stock rockers is the only thing that needs to be done to LS1 rockers to make them fit LT1 heads, do you think it's possible to run LS1 shaft rockers on our heads as well?

(Since studs aren't even involved?)

A set of these would be a noiiiiiiice upgrade:

http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...oducts_id=5880

Anybody know if something like this is doable?
Old 10-29-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you know i have read through that thread a few times and from the aspect of money savings i can see it being resourceful...on an another note i almost see it as a waste of time vs. the amount of gain vs. the price of 1.7 full roller rockers and their actual gain......
Old 10-30-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
you know i have read through that thread a few times and from the aspect of money savings i can see it being resourceful...on an another note i almost see it as a waste of time vs. the amount of gain vs. the price of 1.7 full roller rockers and their actual gain......

I think you missed the point: since the only thing that guy had to do to the stock LS1 rockers to get them to work was drill out the stud holes, and shaft mount rockers don't use studs, maybe it's possible to use them without any modifications?
Old 10-30-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
I think you missed the point: since the only thing that guy had to do to the stock LS1 rockers to get them to work was drill out the stud holes, and shaft mount rockers don't use studs, maybe it's possible to use them without any modifications?
my apologies,i beleive i did
if the original Ls rockers were modded to fit on Lt heads you should be able to do the same for the RR style. i would definately be checking the pushrod length......
Old 10-30-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check this post:

http://74.125.95.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=4&gl=us

Originally Posted by Mike @ New Era
Yella Terra's shaft-mount rockers are an easy and economical way of boosting power, torque and reliability in late model engines. When Yella Terra bolt on rockers are used, the conversion can be performed in the vehicle with no head removal or machining required. Yella Terra's shaft style rocker arms are suitable for hydraulic roller camshafts and feature oversize shafts and bearings for massive strength, stability and long life. No more needle bearings in your engine! Simply bolt on to original 8mm rocker mountings with no valve cover clearance problems! Eliminates studs, guide plates and special pushrods. These are the new lightweight design which makes them the lightest rocker on the market for higher reving engines .
If I'm understanding how these shaft rockers were engineered, they mount up like a standard stud rocker normally would, but they replaced the studs with bolts.

Seems like all you'd need to do to run these on a set of LT1 heads is just find the correct size bolts?
Old 10-30-2008, 05:44 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's a good idea. The only thing you'd have to figure out is the new bolts. I think the part a lot of people didn't do though was properly set up their valve train geometry. That would be a must with changing out the rockers.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are the stude holes spaced apart the same distance on the LS1 and LT!?
Old 10-31-2008, 12:55 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I understand from reading that thread they are. LS1 rockers have a pad they screw into. You have to drill the holes in the pad from 8mm (stock LS1) to 3/8ths (stock LT1) so you can get the bolts in.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm.. i may do this sooner or later.

Quick Reply: Speaking of 1.7 roller rockers...