LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

need headers so confused

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need headers so confused

okay i have a 97 ss that i need a set of headers for... i dont know what to do either long tubes or shortys... i live in new york and the roads arent the best so i dont think i want to do the long tubes cause they sit low... i am also looking to keep the stock y pipe with no modifications to it... the exaust that is on the car is the slp totl if that helps... not looking to spend a stupid amount of money either thanks
Old 11-04-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Not sure but I don't think there are many headers out there that bolt up to the stock y-pipe. Maybe some shorties, but idk. Longtubes arent that bad with clearance, ive lived in NY as well with my car with no problems (longtubes)
Old 11-04-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Longtubes for sure if you want a great change in horsepower and torque as well as sound. They dont cause many clearance issues as you would think but you will definatley not be able to use the stock y-pipe. Shorty headers will not give you nearly as much power as LT's will
Old 11-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have emissions in NY? If so, look into the Mac mids and if not go long tubes
Old 11-04-2008, 05:22 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm running Kooks long tubes. You may have some hits on long tubes, depending on where/how you drive. Blaze down the FDR like I do and you'll have some dings. Stay in the center lane from 23rd to Houston!
Old 11-04-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Long tube's will not mate up to the stock Y pipe. You'll need shorties which IMO is a huge WASTE
Old 11-04-2008, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

we do have emissions in ny which is why i need something that will let me pass my inspections... also will long tubes work witha stock k member?... what systems do you guys recomend and what were your power improvements
Old 11-04-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by meangreenchevy
we do have emissions in ny which is why i need something that will let me pass my inspections... also will long tubes work witha stock k member?... what systems do you guys recomend and what were your power improvements
I gained 30rwhp with my hooker LT's and off road Y. Pacesetter's are also good
Old 11-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by meangreenchevy
Pacesetter make a set of emission long tubes with the AIR/EGR ..like I said before, the Mac Mids are a sweet header for the buck and you will have good gains with them.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

IMO i would still not go through the pain of changing headers unless it was a long tube. If you want to have any decent gains you NEED to ditch the stock catted y pipe asap
Old 11-04-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

aint mac manifolds mid headers?? i heard u cant pass smog with those, get pacesetters i heard they hug the motor and dont sit low like hooker headers do
Old 11-04-2008, 07:54 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

meangreenchevy, I have headers without the A.I.R. fittings but with the EGR fitting. HOWEVER, my EGR is bypassed and I have no problem passing inspection.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look into a set of these:

http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...0a09542aab6fa2

They have the same 1 3/4" primaries that you see on most longtube headers, emissions hookups, and you won't lose any ground clearance over the stock exhaust.

Contrary to popular belief, the length of the header tubes don't affect the overall power output, but rather what side of the torque peak the majority of the torque in the area under the curve will be stacked.

The longer the primary = the more torque that is stacked below the peak

The shorter the primary = the more torque that is stacked above the peak

Generally speaking, and with all other things being equal, you'll see more low end torque from a set of longtubes, and better midrange torque from a set of midlengths.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^Forgot to mention that since you're an OBDII car, you'll need a Random Tech dual cat y-pipe if you go that route. (RK Sport headers are a clone of AS&M, which is what the y-pipe is advertised for.)

A cheaper alternative would be to just use the single cat y-pipe included with the RK Sport header package and do an OBDI conversion.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey man, I have a pair of Edelbrock ceramic coated shorties for sale if you are interested, and they will mate to the stock y-pipe.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Junkie

i went with mac mid length headers. i to live in NY and didnt want to loose any ground clearance from the long tubes. and everyone says shorties suck. im quite happy with my mac's. there real nice headers
Old 11-05-2008, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

i found the pacesetter lts with the y pipe on lmpperformance.com for a decent price they have the egr and air hookups but i think that y pipe eliminates my cats will that throw a code in an obd2 car?
Old 11-05-2008, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
Look into a set of these:

http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...0a09542aab6fa2

They have the same 1 3/4" primaries that you see on most longtube headers, emissions hookups, and you won't lose any ground clearance over the stock exhaust.

Contrary to popular belief, the length of the header tubes don't affect the overall power output, but rather what side of the torque peak the majority of the torque in the area under the curve will be stacked.

The longer the primary = the more torque that is stacked below the peak

The shorter the primary = the more torque that is stacked above the peak

Generally speaking, and with all other things being equal, you'll see more low end torque from a set of longtubes, and better midrange torque from a set of midlengths.

i am almost 100% positive you have this backwards, i just installed my long tubes and got my exhaust welded up and it feels slower from about idle to 2500rpms but much faster from their on up.

i think long tubes moves your peak torque up and shorties will move it down. mids obviously keep it in the mid section.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm from NY too (not that that has to do anything about this topic), and I have pasesetter LT's and ORY on my Formula. Ground clearance isnt an issue for me. I've had no problems with it. As for emissions goes.. Skrew it. Who needs that stuff anyways?

- Mike
Old 11-05-2008, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

only reason i am asking is cause this is my first obd2 car and i know that if you have a check engine light you automaticaly fail... only reason i want to do them is cause the motor is being pulled out and i know its 10x easier when motor is out

Quick Reply: need headers so confused