LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

need help with my first lt1....

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with my first lt1....

Alright this is my problem have a 96 ss and it has developed a short in it somwhere ok this is what is going on the car at times runs fine and all of a sudden the service engine light pops on and the tach hand goes wild and it will start backfiring i was told it has a new opti on it but would that cause the tach problem so some one please chime in on this one.......
Old 11-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Launching!

Have the battery checked out at autozone and get the codes read.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

may just be a bad o2 sensor, like he said codes checked, definitly do that much. After how long a drive do you notice it, as it is possible the code may not have anything to do with it. It could also be an ait sensor, my car did it at one point. Also to reset the pcm on these cars just disconnect the battery, but don't do it till you have checked for codes, any trouble codes stored in the pcm will be erased. Get the codes read and then tell us what you got. Kind of anxious to hear?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss#418
Alright this is my problem have a 96 ss and it has developed a short in it somwhere ok this is what is going on the car at times runs fine and all of a sudden the service engine light pops on and the tach hand goes wild and it will start backfiring i was told it has a new opti on it but would that cause the tach problem so some one please chime in on this one.......
oh and is the tach hand staying in flux with the motor itself?
Old 11-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Teching In

it has a new battery in it,but going to get the codes checked on it tomorrow i reset the pcm by disconnecting the battery post but as soon as i head down the street the problem resumes as far as the tach it will shoot all the way over when it starts the missing and then it completley quits until you shut the car off and it will start back but i will let yall know what becomes of it thanx a mill for the advice....
Old 11-04-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so something is wrong with the air/fuel mix im guessing intake air tempature sensor 02 sensor or throttle position sensor or manifold absolute pressure sensor. Dont worry though these are all very cheap to replace. i think my iat was like $7 bucks or so the MAP was like 40ish, the tps was maybe $14. Is your engine revving when the tach goes all the way over though, or is the tach by itself messing up. dont disconnect the battery again cause you want the trouble coes to store
Old 11-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Teching In

just the tach and if i try and give it gas when it starts doing this dang what a backfire!!!!yea im gonna drive it to a friends house tomorrow by then it will be back on.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

weird don't have quite a clue then but something is making your car read off so its probably thinking, it needs more fuel, thus dumping more fuel in causing the backfiring. Maybe a throttle position sensor my best thought on that so far