Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible ring or piston issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible ring or piston issue

I was wondering if I have a cracked piston or blown ring. The symptoms are I have blown my dipstick out multiple times and when you pull the dipstick out there is smoke coming from the tube also when you remove the oil cap there is smoke coming out of that area also ,so it seems there is an excessive amount of crank case pressure causing this and I believe it is the pistons. The car has been running on 9 to 10 llbs of boost for about 2 years and I have heard that the stock pistons are really weak. I am also have a large amount of white smoke coming from the exaust and what seems to be from the motor. I originally thought it was a head gasket or valve problem but I just changed the heads and gaskets and it is doing the same thing. I am also hearing a small ticking noise which I think may be a lifter or rod which I did not change. What do you guys think?????
Old 11-06-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You probly broke a ring land or have a ring that gulded it self in the pistion. All the smoke coming from the dip stick and oil fill is a good sign of blow by. Do a compression test and see what that tells you and then start saving for a forged SB.

Last edited by conan; 11-06-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by conan
You probly broke a ring land or have a ring that gulded it self in the pistion. All the smoke coming from the dip stick and oil fill is a good sign of blow by. Do a compression test and see what what tells you and then start saving for a forged SB.
Or just worn out rings but definitely sounds like blowby.