Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

meth + 91octane confusion

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default meth + 91octane confusion

before I say anything, I dont mean to sound rude but I was thinking about this since some time.

I get many people who brag about making big power with 91octane, but youll have to read between the lines to find out that the have a methanol system running as well. I am just wondering, doesn't that defeat the fact that you are bragging about using 91? I always thought the mixture of fuel + meth would make up to ~110 octane (give or take), so isnt that like running race gas?

I know there are other benefits of using meth like lowering IATs, but my concern here is that is sounds a little misleading. I mean 91octane with meth would make much more than 93octane pump gas only.

Hope I got my point across, can someone clarify
Old 11-11-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

wow no one has the guts to reply or what lol
Old 11-11-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

what are you asking ?

The reason people run meth and 91 is you can fill up with 91 any where. plus you only burn meth when its needed. save alot on fuel costs in the long run.

Lot of people run the meth just as a safety and dont add any power to the tune.

Last edited by BigRich954RR; 11-11-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:12 AM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=BigRich954RR;10465919]what are you asking ?

The reason people run meth and 91 is you can fill up with 91 any where. plus you only burn meth when its needed. save alot on fuel costs in the long run.

Lot of people run the meth just as a safety and dont add any power to the tune.[/QUOTE]

thats what im trying to argue:

a car thats tuned for 91 octane will make LESS power with meth if it hadnt been tuned, you can adjust the tune to get you back to where your power level is supposed to be, however you can over-tune and make MORE power than what you can possibly make with 91 octane or in that case 93 octane.

People should be a little clear if they are using the meth for protection, as in not adding any power above what pump gas numbers they can get, coz ive seen people gain as much as 100rwhp on high-boost applications and meth.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what's the questions here? It's not news that you can make more on pump with meth than without it... It's not only octane, it really lowers IATs too.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:54 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what he's getting at is people bragging about making big numbers while running pump gas + meth. I think some peoples thoughts are, it's like running race gas because technically you're not running straight pump gas. With all the emphasis people put toward power numbers on pump gas, some people see running meth as "cheating" in a way. To myself, it doesn't matter one way or another.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:39 PM
FormerVendor

well then I "cheat" and I recommend for *ALL* of my boosted pump gas customers to "cheat" as well... A better question would be, why wouldn't you use it in a street setup?
Old 11-13-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ss1
I think what he's getting at is people bragging about making big numbers while running pump gas + meth. I think some peoples thoughts are, it's like running race gas because technically you're not running straight pump gas. With all the emphasis people put toward power numbers on pump gas, some people see running meth as "cheating" in a way. To myself, it doesn't matter one way or another.
Thats exactly what I meant, but I wont call it cheating, ill call it deceiving and giving out half of what needs to be said.

Originally Posted by Frost
well then I "cheat" and I recommend for *ALL* of my boosted pump gas customers to "cheat" as well... A better question would be, why wouldn't you use it in a street setup?
I dont know why you got all defensive dude, im talking about people who are bragging they made HUGE power on PUMP gas, when the reality is THE FUEL THATS GOING INTO THE engine isnt 91octane only anymore.

I know of all the advantages of running meth on a car, however on a daily driver street vehicle, talk about one more thing to worry about. On a weekend car, it makes more sense.

Again, my simple point is, dont put up a big title stating your POWER and FUEL (91 octane) while having the rest look up between the lines to find out its methanol injected as well, which in turn completely defeats mentioning that the car is running on pump gas, again just coz you filled up your tank with crap gas, doesnt mean your running on pump gas, its worth mentioning you have ANOTHER tank somewhere in the car pumping out extremely high-octane fuel, do you get me now?

I dont know why this is so hard to understand, again I am not against running meth, but I personally wont run it on my car, I have enough things to worry about and keep an eye on.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:43 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frost
I agree with you completely. I also plan on using meth when I get my new setup together as well....maybe for a little insurance, maybe for alittle more power
Old 11-13-2008, 03:50 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ayousef
Thats exactly what I meant, but I wont call it cheating, ill call it deceiving and giving out half of what needs to be said.

I dont know why you got all defensive dude, im talking about people who are bragging they made HUGE power on PUMP gas, when the reality is THE FUEL THATS GOING INTO THE engine isnt 91octane only anymore.

I know of all the advantages of running meth on a car, however on a daily driver street vehicle, talk about one more thing to worry about. On a weekend car, it makes more sense.

Again, my simple point is, dont put up a big title stating your POWER and FUEL (91 octane) while having the rest look up between the lines to find out its methanol injected as well, which in turn completely defeats mentioning that the car is running on pump gas, again just coz you filled up your tank with crap gas, doesnt mean your running on pump gas, its worth mentioning you have ANOTHER tank somewhere in the car pumping out extremely high-octane fuel, do you get me now?

I dont know why this is so hard to understand, again I am not against running meth, but I personally wont run it on my car, I have enough things to worry about and keep an eye on.

I wasn't being defensive, it just seems like a silly thing to be mad about. I have tuned many many cars on meth. The cars that run the Alkycontrol kits are very often daily drivers, and many have had the kit on their cars upwards of 3 years now without issue. Mine has been on my own car that long without issues.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need to do the math. I did not look up the numbers but I think meth is 110 octane. It is out in at about 7%. That would add about 2 points in octane. What help is lower the intake air temps. With that u can add more timing.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:17 PM
10 Second Club

I'm addicted to meth

Its all Frost's fault ^^^^^^