Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gasket leaking, deciding on doing everything...what all is needed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Head gasket leaking, deciding on doing everything...what all is needed?

Well my headgasket on the driver side is leaking, and since I am pulling the heads anyway, I say **** it, and might as well replace the heads and cam. This is geared mainly towards the seals and gaskets, and not really looking into what heads/cam to get just yet. Sources are from two vendors here.

#1: Texas-speed

-PRC stg 1 ls6 H/C/ combo
Factory ls6 springs (depending on what cam obviously)
????cam
Roll master double-roller adj timing set
7.400" push rods
H/C GM Gasket Kit
TSP ported ls6 oil pump

$1,934.97

#2: ws6store

-Cometic .040 MLS head gasket
$84.99

-GM Valve cover gasket
$16.99x2

OR

- SLP H/C Instal Kit
$269.95

-Cloyes Single Roller Timing Set
$169.99

-Patriot 5.3 stg 2 Heads
$ 1,195

-Custom cam from TR or Pat G
$425~450 iirc.

What else is needed? I am leaning towards the Texas speed combo. If I do, what else?

If I go with Mike over at ws6store, I will still need a oil pump, but what else should I look at?

Thanks
Old 11-10-2008, 11:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What exactly are you wanting out of the car? What are you using it for? Give me some details on your goals and I can get you setup with a Heads/Cam combo to meet and exceed what you are wanting to do. We will be your one stop shop for all the parts and accessories you are needing and we'll be here for any technical support afterwards as well. We look forward to helping you with your build!

Jon Reynolds
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 11-10-2008, 11:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
What exactly are you wanting out of the car? What are you using it for? Give me some details on your goals and I can get you setup with a Heads/Cam combo to meet and exceed what you are wanting to do. We will be your one stop shop for all the parts and accessories you are needing and we'll be here for any technical support afterwards as well. We look forward to helping you with your build!

Jon Reynolds
Yea, this is why I want to go with you guys. Pretty much I want a reliable, somewhat low maintance build. I say low maintance like valves and springs..I don't want overly aggressive lobes eating away at my valve train. I am hoping for around 420 hp, good low end, very drivable, somewhat sleeper. I originally wanted a cheatR cam, but the aggressive lobes are kind of turning me away. This will be my daily driver once I move up to Phoenix, so stop and go traffic, plus the heat, is also a concern. Gas mileage..near stock, but I can afford to loose 2-3 mpg for a nice set up.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

No one has any idea on what else I would need for the swap? New water pump? Injectors? Beer?
Old 11-12-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Beer of course, no new water pump needed. Just the gaskets.

98 injectors might be a good idea(28.5lbs), tools for the cam swap(or rods from home depot). Rockers rebuild/new lifters if your car have high mileage..more optional than must have though.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

Water pump gaskets. I'll add it to my list, thanks. I'm thinking injectors and fuel pump for added insurance, depending on what cam I go with. I am thinking of using the 16 ( I believe) magnetic pen trick, but I have a quick question. Those are used so the lifters wont fall, correct? Well if I'm swapping heads, wont the lifters come out already? Will assembled heads come ready to drop on, with all new components? lifters and rockers?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to set your budget first.

I'd look at the n-motion billet timing set at around $62 from SDPC to save some coin and while your at it they have a gasket swap set gm part number that will have head bolts in it for $108. Also a Melling OP is only $139 from SDPC. They have Cometics too.

I offer custom ground Comp cams for $385 delivered and can set you up there. Be careful, some cams use very agressive lobes and they do take their toll on your valvetrain. We have an extensive questionaire we send out in order to get the proper profile.

Heads are a budget choice. You have Patriots at the lowest priced to All Pro at the upper end and then a whole bunch in between.

I offer AFR,TFS, Edelbrock, All Pro and LS6 heads by WCCH and some others as well.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 11-13-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:59 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for telling me about SDPC. They are another sponser I have used, and had good luck with them. And I see you have AFR's on sale....**** lol. I would like to buy all from one sponser to try and keep myself somewhat in order, and so I don't confuse myself later on. But thanks for the heads up, I'm about to check out your site and see what you have.

Budget would be cheapest to get my car running right and proper without cutting corners. I would like to keep it around $2500, but I can adjust that if need be.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Banned

Well at $2500 the AFR's are put of your budget really. You need to account for the gasket kit and pushrods as well. Your looking at 2264 for the heads alone, 108 for the gasket kit and 385 for the cam and 108 for the pushrods. I can save you some money on the package but it won't come in under $2500 unfortunately.
Also my website only list 1/30 of what I sell (working on it..LOL)
Old 11-13-2008, 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

I figured it wasn't that up to date lol. I know AFR's are pricey, and I wish I had a better budget, but college kid who is an intern doesn't make much money. Are your heads you sell full assembled and ready to drop onto the block? Say if I were to get the 5.3s or ls6 heads built by WCCH?
Old 11-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Banned

Yep they are ready to drop on but your still looking at 1740 plus shipping. I know Patriots are less and then TSP are a little more and they go up from there.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:34 AM
FormerVendor

At $2500 we can get you to the HP goals you are wanting, deliver on the driveability as well, and still have enough in your pocket to buy you and your buddies pizza and beer! EVERYTHING we recommend has been tested on an engine dyno rather than theories on paper. For what you are looking for out of the car, I would put on a set of PRC 2.5 5.3L heads. We have tested them back to back with a popular out-of-the-box205cc head with the PRC 5.3L heads putting up another 8-9 FWHP! If you would like, I can get you links to the dyno graphs backing it up! Match those heads up with a 228R or maybe a 228/232 camshaft and you shouldn't have a problem hitting your goal. (We offer custom grinds at no additional charge!) We will deck the heads for you at NO CHARGE to help bump the compression up for you as well. This heads/cam combo w/ chromoly pushrods will run you $1659.99! Throw in our heads/cam gasket kit (GM head bolts and head gaskets, GM timing cover gasket, GM crank seal, GM water pump gaskets, and GM balancer bolt) for $140, LS2 timing chain for $38.99 or we too offer the N-motion Single timing set for $62.99, and a TSP Ported LS6 pump for $144.99! Depending on the mileage on the car, you might want to look at a set of LS7 lifters as well. Since you have to pull the heads to change lifters, now is a good time since the heads will be off.

I have you looking at $2127.96 + shipping for everything including lifters! We are your one stop shop for everything you need and we will be here with a knowledgeable sales staff to help with technical advice and answer any questions you might have!

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns!

Jon Reynolds
Old 11-13-2008, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

Wow, that is what I really wanted to hear. So you will mill them down to 59cc for free? And my mileage is getting close to 80k. Link me to those dyno graphs please. I remember you guys were doing a huge cam dyno thread, but I haven't checked progress on that yet.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
This heads/cam combo w/ chromoly pushrods will run you $1659.99! Throw in our heads/cam gasket kit (GM head bolts and head gaskets, GM timing cover gasket, GM crank seal, GM water pump gaskets, and GM balancer bolt) for $140, LS2 timing chain for $38.99 or we too offer the N-motion Single timing set for $62.99, and a TSP Ported LS6 pump for $144.99! Depending on the mileage on the car, you might want to look at a set of LS7 lifters as well. Since you have to pull the heads to change lifters, now is a good time since the heads will be off.

I have you looking at $2127.96 + shipping for everything including lifters! We are your one stop shop for everything you need and we will be here with a knowledgeable sales staff to help with technical advice and answer any questions you might have!

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns!

Jon Reynolds

I don't see that timing chain listed as added components when looking at that H/C combo on your site, and also on there, I can add the ported oil pump for cheaper than you listed above. Just a heads up. Is the oil pump on sale right now?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:12 PM
FormerVendor

The chain isn't listed on our site but I can get it for you no problem. I think the pumps have gone up but Trevor forgot to raise the price on the package deals. Either way, I will honor the cheaper price!

Jon
Old 11-13-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have livernois stg one CNC LS6 heads, tr220 cam (barely more noticeable then stock) and a ls6 intake. I am making right around 430-440 at the crank (360 @ the wheels) without headers and stock exhaust with a flowmaster that doesnt flow any better then stock. Headers with those mods should gain atleast 25-30 horsepower.

Like you i didnt want to be changing springs every year. Judging by the tr220 you could go with a tr224 and pick up that extra 15-20 horse. the 220 really is a good performer for such a small cam though.

Didnt lose a drop of lowend or gas mileage. A great reliable setup.

I didnt see it in your list but you should also include in budget either a dyno tune ~$400-$500) or buy horsepower tuners to tune it yourself ($500-650).
Old 11-13-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Dont forget ARP head bolts or stud...and be sure to go with MLS gaskets, my .02...Graphite gasket sucks, they dont hold on well(for me). some say to use copper spray to make em seal good but eh, go with MLS.

Studs are nicer because if you lift the heads another time(it will happen) then its easier because so dont have to clean the bolt holes...Its boring to do, but not that bad with a beer and some friends.

And you dont need the fuel pump now...but its a nice upgrade.

and check of course www.ls1howto.com
Old 11-13-2008, 01:48 PM
FormerVendor

Here's a graph from the heads/cam dyno session we did a month or so back.

http://www.precisionracecomponents.c...comparison.jpg
Old 11-13-2008, 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

Jonnystock, you talking about MLS gaskets...I take it the GM ones aren't MLS, and are just graphite? And bolts and studs....would I really need studs? I wont be spraying for a while, and even then, I'll spray a baby shot at most. Whoever said the dyno tune, Trust me, I was planning on it. John at TSP, thanks for teh link. I'll check it out.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:04 PM
FormerVendor

No worries on the MLS gaskets. The Heads/Cam gasket kit I quoted you has the GM MLS gaskets and GM head bolts. The bolts will be fine with no more nitrous than you are planning on spraying. However, I have ARP bolts and studs as an available upgrade. Also, it makes no difference whether you put in studs you bolts, you NEED to clean the bolt holes!

Jon