Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

First Suspension Mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Suspension Mod

Well Im going to actually commit and by my firsy suspension mod. I decided to go to spohn for all my suspension purchases. Nothing against the other sponsors just decided to go with spohn. But they are about the same price and both can yield great benefits with out any other suspension mods. My two choices are chromoly sfc's or chromoloy adj lca's with rod ends. Which one should I chose as my first step to a full suspension build?
Old 11-10-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What are you looking to do with the car (drag, handling etc.)?
Old 11-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Launching!

drag but still has street manners
Old 11-10-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lower control arms. that was my first suspension mod. never even thought about touching my suspension up until i bought them. since i have touched nothing EXCEPT suspension.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

I will urge you to reconsider rod ends. There is no reason to spend that kind of money at your level. Stock LCA's with solid rubber moog bushings will decrease deflection (in turn limiting wheel hop) while still retaining the articulation you need for cornering. They will also not transmit NEAR as much vibration into the chasis as rod ends. The other thing is there is no reason to go with chromoly... at all. For SFC's I suggest getting some boxed 2 pt's. The reason for this is boxed will allow you to use them for jacking rails while still adding strength to the frame. 3pt are nice but they add a lot more weight. Unless you plan on adding a shoter torque arm there is little need to go with 3pt. My honest opinion is you should get shocks before anything else. A good set of shocks will help decrease wheel hop at the track and help with handling on the street. If you are going to stay with stock springs then Bilsteins tend to be a solid choice. If you want to lower the car or want more control over the valving then Koni's are hart to beat. Don't just assume that more expensive parts are the right parts, in many cases they are not what you need.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

the moog bushings at the autoparts store by me are like $40 each or something insane like that. i ended up just buying some poly/poly lca's instead since it was cheaper than the bushings. bought them mostly for straight line performance but didn't have any major problems autoxing with them. i've since lowered my car and swapped back to stock to avoid bind but for a mostly street driven straight line car they work great.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
the moog bushings at the autoparts store by me are like $40 each or something insane like that. i ended up just buying some poly/poly lca's instead since it was cheaper than the bushings. bought them mostly for straight line performance but didn't have any major problems autoxing with them. i've since lowered my car and swapped back to stock to avoid bind but for a mostly street driven straight line car they work great.
They are indeed overpriced, but they make a great improvement. The only other option I like is the J&M 3 peice poly arms. If the Johnny Joint option is ever available then it would be my choice since it offeres adjustabiliyt and durability. I know UMI is working on a set and another group already has them (forgot their name right off).
Old 11-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Launching!

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1998-2002-...-Bushings.html

so would tihs be a better choice for lca's? Well it looks like spohn doesnt carry a sfc that is boxed. So who do yall suggest? Also I am going to hold off with springs and shocks just until next check. I have about 350 bucks left over from this check so im going to take advantage of it
Old 11-11-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not a fan of those LCA's. The reason for that is Poly is a poor option for handling. It can bind in the corners causing the car to act like it has a larger rear sway bar which in turn leads to more oversteer. If you are dead set on aftermarket LCA's then the J&M 3 peice poly arms from hotpart.com are nice. Unlike every other poly LCA it allows for articulation instead of just binding. They will also not have as much deflection as even moog bushings so it isn't a bad option at all. I'm a fan of UMI's parts but most any SFC will be pretty similar.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

I wish someone made solid rubber/rod lca's.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice
Believe it or not, you can get the parts and assemble your own

And yes, it will be of same or better quality as what are offered by sponsors.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
Believe it or not, you can get the parts and assemble your own

And yes, it will be of same or better quality as what are offered by sponsors.

Yup. The info for all that is over on FRRAX if you search for it. I haven't seen a thread on it here but it may exist.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice

We offer a rubber bushing option in place of our poly bushings for our tubular lower control arms. The price is the same for either bushing
Old 11-12-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
We offer a rubber bushing option in place of our poly bushings for our tubular lower control arms. The price is the same for either bushing
You may want to market that better then. I know it use to be listed on your site but I can't find it anymore. Good to know you still have them.

Quick Reply: First Suspension Mod