Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Will Hoosier R6's work on the STREET

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Hoosier R6's work on the STREET

yes purely street, I need as much grip as I can get and ive been thinking of this tire, will it work on the street? Any idea where I would be able to find more details about this tire, like the maximum speed it would safely handle etc...?

I am asking this because a friend of mine totalled his Z06 after blowing a front Hoosier on the street.

PS. Rain is not an issue, and I will get them grooved as well just in case.

thanks.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

NO NO NO NO NO do not use them on the street. this is road race tire, ONLY a road race tire, and while technically DOT approved, that does NOT mean you can use them on the street. i cant believe the mistakes people make in buying road race/autox - R compound tires and thinking theyll give better grip on the street. within a few days of driving them, youll heat cycle them out and you might as well be driving on bowling *****. not to mention youll wear them down to the cord in less then 1000 miles, if that at all. unless all your driving is 100% on brand new, smooth as glass pavement, every bump, crack, expansion joint will chew the **** out of the tire.

if youre so worried about grip, get a drag radial, or nitto 555r. drag radial compound & tread on a stiff carcass.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
NO NO NO NO NO do not use them on the street. this is road race tire, ONLY a road race tire, and while technically DOT approved, that does NOT mean you can use them on the street. i cant believe the mistakes people make in buying road race/autox - R compound tires and thinking theyll give better grip on the street. within a few days of driving them, youll heat cycle them out and you might as well be driving on bowling *****. not to mention youll wear them down to the cord in less then 1000 miles, if that at all. unless all your driving is 100% on brand new, smooth as glass pavement, every bump, crack, expansion joint will chew the **** out of the tire.

if youre so worried about grip, get a drag radial, or nitto 555r. drag radial compound & tread on a stiff carcass.
Problem is I cant find a tire that would fit my 19inch rear rim and still have a width of at least 325 - 345
Old 11-17-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

check tirerack.com or discounttiredirect.com. anything you find will be better then a race tire on the street. dont even get me started on driving on them in temps below 50. they will be hard as rocks. if you absolutely cant find a single tire, then get new rims.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They arent bad on the street but deff not the greatest. Get a MT et street radial.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
They arent bad on the street but deff not the greatest. Get a MT et street radial.
any specific suggestions, I still can't find anything, however I am considering Pilot Sport Cups, which are available in my wheel size and widths, expensive, but is worth trying out.

Now, I just figured out that tirerack doesnt ship outside north America?

Quick Reply: Will Hoosier R6's work on the STREET