Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

'00 formula vs '00 eclipse

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '00 formula vs '00 eclipse

So I bought my Formula "space ship" from the dealership on 10/18/08, this story takes place a night later...

I just bought my car a day ago from Cal Worthington Ford in Anchorage, all I heard from anyone is "you'll never be able to use that car in the winter, only a few months out of the year!" from EVERYONE, well, I just wanted to have this car or a camaro of the same age. You understand lol. SO I was giving everyone rides one at a time and at about the third tour I decided to give in this beautiful car, I was with my sister and we were just cruising down a popular sidestreet in my town, well on the way back there is a stretch where you can see the highway from a mile out and there are street lights lighting it up very good so if you pay attention, you can see what car goes by on the highway pretty good. so i was just messing around going 0-60 with her in the car a few times (auto) and when we are about a 1/4 mile from the highway i see a CLEAN silver sports car go by, I could tell he was going fast too...the first time i've been in a sports car and this would be the perfect race, asain vs american baby!!!! so i pull onto the highway ignoring the 3 second wait rule at the stop sign lol and try to catch up to this nut, but he is easily going about 70 on out way to the next town over, well FINALLY i get the chance to catch up without driving like a careless teenager (this is at night, mind you) because we both caught up to a car headed the same direction haha well after all the twist and curves we comne to an uphill straight away and you know what im thinking! but turns out he is thinking the same thing! he signals, passes, signals back, I am RIGHT behind him and instead of going behind or passing him, I stay beside him and we both slowly accelerate, and at this point I am like 'I need to get back into my lane!' so i step on it, all they way! and I am seeing him going out of my sight, pretty quickly so i let off some to coast into my lane in front of him, so i signal to get back into our lane and THANK GOD I HEARD IT, the ******* steps on his pedal, I heard this weird bumble bee noise as he goes flying by but when i see him beside me, i step on it, and we are off, i here his turbo kick in and after a second, the ls1 passes him like he is every car on the street, i was thinking the whole time "wow this is alot faster than my truck! lol, no way would i beat this car in my truck, but anyway as i pass him for the second time, i saw it was a teen my age with 3 people in the car, maybe thats why i beat him, i dont know, but i swear he floored it, and my formula made easy work of him! my first kill, wont be the last!
Old 11-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Cliffs:

catch up to ricer
pass ricer
while passing, a-hole tries a fly by
caught up and passed him before he could finish a cheap fly by!
Old 11-20-2008, 09:48 PM
10 Second Club

enjoy your new car but keep these stories to yourself, a 00 eclipse does not have a turbo, and even a gts is slow as hell. beat something with more than 200hp then tell us about it.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blue99fbody
enjoy your new car but keep these stories to yourself, a 00 eclipse does not have a turbo, and even a gts is slow as hell. beat something with more than 200hp then tell us about it.
sorry, meant '00-'05 you know what style i am talking about, i forgot to pull him over and ask for the exact year, but it was a gts which im pretty sure is turbo...i live in alaska...sorry i was excited about being in a sports car and racing a sports car, i loved it even if i got beat, made my knees shake! adrenaline i havent felt before! sorry about posting to a "slow" car though..the exhaust and the people around here make eclipses seem faster lol..
Old 11-20-2008, 11:50 PM
Teching In

GTS isnt turbo from the factory. They stopped putting turbos on Eclipses in 1999.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3rd gen eclipses are dogs
Old 11-21-2008, 09:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by blue99fbody
Old 11-22-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

no such thing as a fast eclipse stock no matter what year it was made turbo or not.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
no such thing as a fast eclipse stock no matter what year it was made turbo or not.
That is true...but, the new eclipse gt v6 is like 263hp and 265lb-ft tq. It is quick and pulls good with the six speed. A friend of mine had one. It pulls good up to about 135-140. The gts from 00 had like 205hp and the gt had 200 but the price was like 5 grand more. Sound familiar? Anyway, good kill
Old 11-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Launching!

ah, not bad for a first kill. Now go pick a fight with something your own size, and post up.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Swift_01_z-28
That is true...but, the new eclipse gt v6 is like 263hp and 265lb-ft tq. It is quick and pulls good with the six speed. A friend of mine had one. It pulls good up to about 135-140. The gts from 00 had like 205hp and the gt had 200 but the price was like 5 grand more. Sound familiar? Anyway, good kill
ACTUALLY...lol...there was no GTS in 2000, the GTS was introduced in 2003. If I'm not mistaken all it really added was a new intake manifold system, I would assume one with secondary runners and butterfly valves(I could very well be wrong on that bit, it's just an assumption. I HIGHLY doubt Mitsubishi would develop an entirely different engine for one trim level and only 5-10hp). But I do know for a fact that the GTS was introduced in 2003. And either way...all the 3rd gen Eclipse's are dogs..
Old 11-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dr.Evol500
ACTUALLY...lol...there was no GTS in 2000, the GTS was introduced in 2003. If I'm not mistaken all it really added was a new intake manifold system, I would assume one with secondary runners and butterfly valves(I could very well be wrong on that bit, it's just an assumption. I HIGHLY doubt Mitsubishi would develop an entirely different engine for one trim level and only 5-10hp). But I do know for a fact that the GTS was introduced in 2003. And either way...all the 3rd gen Eclipse's are dogs..
they basically put some really crappy high compression pistons in it to give the car like 5 or 10 horsepower but really limited the car when u want to mod it. friend of mine has one, first thing he had to do when he decided to boost it was change out the pistons. they cant stand up to any boost whatsoever.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 89RSCamaro
they basically put some really crappy high compression pistons in it to give the car like 5 or 10 horsepower but really limited the car when u want to mod it. friend of mine has one, first thing he had to do when he decided to boost it was change out the pistons. they cant stand up to any boost whatsoever.

Even more dumb than an intake manifold lol...but thank you sir.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My bad, I didn't know that. But I am right about the hp difference and price difference. It doesn't matter. I have a buddy here who had a 95 eclipse gst with a fully rebuilt motor and bigger turbo and all the goodies, maybe makin 400 hp to the wheels. It's broken now though, lol.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:08 AM
Teching In

My bad, I didn't know that. But I am right about the hp difference and price difference. It doesn't matter. I have a buddy here who had a 95 eclipse gst with a fully rebuilt motor and bigger turbo and all the goodies, maybe makin 400 hp to the wheels. It's broken now though, lol.

haha
Old 11-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Even more dumb than an intake manifold lol...but thank you sir.
yeah no prob man but it really is the dumbest thing ever for a simple 5 or 10hp. it probable wouldve been a better decision for mitsu to do the manifold! my buddy was all happy to be getting a "performance" version of it. man was he pissed when he figured out about the piston bs
Old 11-23-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

haha
LOL. Yeah that's about right.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Launching!

and it will always be broke, i have had at least 5 or more different dsms, and although they make power if you looks at them sideways, they also break very easy. its a wonderful motor to play with but not if you need a daily driver. i have a 97 awd talon right now making 350+ awhp, and geuss what IT'S BROKE.
and my best friend has a 2000 3rd gen Rs that he turbo'd made a few low 13 sec passes then the trans wet the bed. could have been a high 12's car with better traction and launch.
i could talk all day about dsm's its a love hate relationship i was deep into them but saw the light of the LS motor, so i'll shut up now
Old 11-23-2008, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah ive owned 3 turbo eclipses they run badass when they run but they are a expensive car to maintain.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My uncle had a shop in eastern Ky, and he got my a cousin one of those eclipse's. Later he told me that he would never buy a mitsubishi product again.