Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my tuners OWN WAY OF TUNING

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my tuners OWN WAY OF TUNING

well, im posting this to understand what the hell is going on, because I was gonna give him my TT car to tune, BUT NOT ANYMORE.

Anyways, He ROAD tuned my Cammed Z06, said he doesnt beleive in dyno-tuning (okay), and my butt told me the car was going fast, I lived with it for 2months before I got REALLY curious as to the power it put to the ground, so I went back to him, and on a mustang dyno the car put 445rwhp...

Dissapointment...

His Z06 with the same intake (vararam) and his tune did 441rwhp a few days before that, it is worth mentioning that few more pulls and my car did 453rwhp but that was it. He was laughing his *** off attributing the no difference in power to a **** cam that I installed and **** catless headers and exhaust. FYI, my car has a stage 3 LG camshaft, catless kooks headers and my custom exhaust.

This is when I asked to look at the AFR on the sheet, well guess what, my car was doing 10- 12:1 at sub 3000RPMS, and anything above that went to 10.2:1 from 3000 all the way to 7000 RPMs. When i asked why is it like that he said he substituted a leaner fuel mixture with more timing. Its also worth mentioning that the difference between the AFR measured on the tip is about 0.3 leaner than what is read at the collector (based on my previous experience with the same car). Which means my car was below 10:1 at the upper rpms.

I told him that I would bet on ANYTHING that there is at least 20 more rwhp in it, he said that im full of ****, and hes been tuning since 14 years, told me that I am humiliating him. I forced him to lean out the mixture UNDER MY RESPONSIBILITY so after he got all pissed off and started shouting his *** off, we started gaining more power run after run. Last run, I saw 10.9:1 on the AFR graph, although it was messed up for good car went to 478RWHP, thats a 25++ rwhp over the first tune and the car was still rich on back to back runs. If we allowed the car to cool down 480+ would have been there.

He refused to go leaner claiming that the wideband is a peice of **** that no one should rely on, and you should rely on the stock narrow bands more because they can do the same calculation and get the same reading . basically how he calculates AFR is, he takes stoich (14.687 something like that) and divides it by the HPTuners Fuel Enrichment table value for that RPM, which might be 1.111 and gets the AFR.

Im sure we all noticed that this guy is full of ****, I need some feedback on this because im gonna send him the link =)

Last edited by ayousef; 11-23-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know there's 2 sides to every story, but if that's even close to true, he's an idiot, and an ******* to boot.
You cannot just swap increases in timing for a leaner fuel mixture. It doesn't work that way.
You would be better off with a stock timing table and 12.5:1 A/F. It would make more power than 10:1 and 4 degrees added. That's just random numbers mind you.
I have a passport and would be happy to fly over and tune your TT and your Z06 if the money's right.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
I know there's 2 sides to every story, but if that's even close to true, he's an idiot, and an ******* to boot.
You cannot just swap increases in timing for a leaner fuel mixture. It doesn't work that way.
You would be better off with a stock timing table and 12.5:1 A/F. It would make more power than 10:1 and 4 degrees added. That's just random numbers mind you.
I have a passport and would be happy to fly over and tune your TT and your Z06 if the money's right.
You're right, two sides for every story, but this one has one side only lol, this is exactly what he did and said. He also said Im humiliating him by trying to explan this.

His argument is, you get 70% of the power by timing and a mere 30% by leaning out the AFR, also given the fact that the car would be safer it being Richer...

Well, about tuning my car haha, we got so many tuners and infact my friend is a VERY good tuner, however because of some contruction work he closed his shop for a month, and this is when I tuned mine elsewhere...
Old 11-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ayousef
Well, about tuning my car haha, we got so many tuners and infact my friend is a VERY good tuner,
Yeah, there's a ton of em over here too.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL at the wideband being a shitty tool to measure AF ratio. Guess thats why racing teams dump all that money into buying them and tuning with them. If only I would have read this sooner I could have saved some bucks buying my shitty wideband .... LOL. Street tuning has it's place and so does dyno tuning. IMO it's a little safer to be on a dyno doing 100+ mph then on the streets but what do I know. Street is for getting good drivability and even fueling on real driving conditions but dyno gets you the WOT portion and the power. He sounds like a winner (lots of sarcasm in that last statement).
Old 11-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Launching!

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

He refused to go leaner claiming that the wideband is a peice of **** that no one should rely on, and you should rely on the stock narrow bands more because they can do the same calculation and get the same reading
Somebody either has a LOT of learning to do or should become a consultant to GM and show them why they've been wasting money on lab-grade widebands for EVERY powertrain/engine test vehicle and dyno cell over the years.

I'm considering coming to Dubai to teach a week long calibration class next year. Perhaps there's more need for training there than I had anticipated. One just wonders if people are just too proud to learn sometimes for fear of looking foolish. Even the OEM calibrators (like me) are continuously learning.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:44 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, im posting this to understand what the hell is going on, because I was gonna give him my TT car to tune, BUT NOT ANYMORE.

Anyways, He ROAD tuned my Cammed Z06, said he doesnt beleive in dyno-tuning (okay), and my butt told me the car was going fast, I lived with it for 2months before I got REALLY curious as to the power it put to the ground, so I went back to him, and on a mustang dyno the car put 445rwhp...

Dissapointment...

His Z06 with the same intake (vararam) and his tune did 441rwhp a few days before that, it is worth mentioning that few more pulls and my car did 453rwhp but that was it. He was laughing his *** off attributing the no difference in power to a **** cam that I installed and **** catless headers and exhaust. FYI, my car has a stage 3 LG camshaft, catless kooks headers and my custom exhaust.

This is when I asked to look at the AFR on the sheet, well guess what, my car was doing 10- 12:1 at sub 3000RPMS, and anything above that went to 10.2:1 from 3000 all the way to 7000 RPMs. When i asked why is it like that he said he substituted a leaner fuel mixture with more timing. Its also worth mentioning that the difference between the AFR measured on the tip is about 0.3 leaner than what is read at the collector (based on my previous experience with the same car). Which means my car was below 10:1 at the upper rpms.

I told him that I would bet on ANYTHING that there is at least 20 more rwhp in it, he said that im full of ****, and hes been tuning since 14 years, told me that I am humiliating him. I forced him to lean out the mixture UNDER MY RESPONSIBILITY so after he got all pissed off and started shouting his *** off, we started gaining more power run after run. Last run, I saw 10.9:1 on the AFR graph, although it was messed up for good car went to 478RWHP, thats a 25++ rwhp over the first tune and the car was still rich on back to back runs. If we allowed the car to cool down 480+ would have been there.

He refused to go leaner claiming that the wideband is a peice of **** that no one should rely on, and you should rely on the stock narrow bands more because they can do the same calculation and get the same reading . basically how he calculates AFR is, he takes stoich (14.687 something like that) and divides it by the HPTuners Fuel Enrichment table value for that RPM, which might be 1.111 and gets the AFR.

Im sure we all noticed that this guy is full of ****, I need some feedback on this because im gonna send him the link =)
i would stay away from this guy he is clearly retarded, or just plain ignorant
Old 11-24-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

"...claiming that the wideband is a piece of ****...."

Wow, now I have heard everything....
Old 11-24-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd ask for a refund, that rich could have washed your cylinder walls down.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:29 PM
FormerVendor

Hopefully whoever you use now has a very good understanding of what he's doing otherwise you're going to have some real trouble (even with my file to start from).
Old 11-24-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Remember way back they figured out supposedly the first man that brought aids into the country, well you just found the first Retard Tuner in the country!
Old 11-25-2008, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a tuner I delt with. He bitched about my EFI Live and called it **** and said a wideband is a joke. My car was way lean like 13.5 to 13.9 at wot. I done some changes myself and got the afr down to 12.5 to 12.8 I don't want to say on the public forum who I delt with but it sounds like the same guy I had.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's amazing how many shitty tuners are around and how they get away with murder. I know a few tards that can't tune their way out of a wet paper bag in my area.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Remember way back they figured out supposedly the first man that brought aids into the country, well you just found the first Retard Tuner in the country!
You did notice the OP is from Dubai, right?
Old 11-25-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
You did notice the OP is from Dubai, right?

Yup, I didn't want to say in your country and offend
Old 11-25-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Yup, I didn't want to say in your country and offend
I wont be offended by saying something thats true

if calculating the AFR was as simple as dividing stoich by the fuel enrichment table, then the ECU will do that simple division for you and every car will be able to read its own wideband AFR accordingly.

According to his calculation my car is at 13.2:1 (14.7/ 1.111), yet the wideband says im at 10.8:1
Old 11-25-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Hopefully whoever you use now has a very good understanding of what he's doing otherwise you're going to have some real trouble (even with my file to start from).
Jim, the guy who will tune the car is the same guy who did my SC Z06, which was not only fast, but extremely reliable, even with my crazy driving.

He should be able to get the job done, the base file would be 70% of the job, and hell have to fine tune the rest, no issues there.

Thanks alot
Old 11-25-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I wont be offended by saying something thats true

if calculating the AFR was as simple as dividing stoich by the fuel enrichment table, then the ECU will do that simple division for you and every car will be able to read its own wideband AFR accordingly.

According to his calculation my car is at 13.2:1 (14.7/ 1.111), yet the wideband says im at 10.8:1
That is how you do it. Stoich/PE=commanded AFR. The problem is the fact that the VE and MAF tables need to be calibrated. Commanded AFR isn't always the desired AFR. If the engine doesn't know how much air is in it then it doesn't know how much fuel to add to reach the commanded/desired AFR.

The last tuner I used (notice I said LAST) would read the wideband AFR and just enter a PE value what would accomplish his desired AFR (12.8-13.3) but the commanded would be 11.7-12.1:1. This is probably what often happens on a quick WOT dynotune. Though, that method works perfectly fine for WOT, it does nothing for part throttle nor is it the correct way to go about tuning.

My car is only a minor bolt-on car and isn't far enough off from the stock calibrations to really affect anything other than WOT.

Jon
Old 11-25-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

When i asked why is it like that he said he substituted a leaner fuel mixture with more timing.
That's not necessarily a false statement, but a tenth or two of AFR is about the farthest that should be pushed. Two or three whole points is stupid.

He refused to go leaner claiming that the wideband is a peice of **** that no one should rely on, and you should rely on the stock narrow bands more because they can do the same calculation and get the same reading .
The stock narrowed bands are completely accurate, but only at 14.7:1 AFR. Any other AFR makes them completely useless.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
The stock narrowed bands are completely accurate, but only at 14.7:1 AFR. Any other AFR makes them completely useless.
I would word it a little different. Something like:

"Stock narrowband O2 sensor is highly accurate at stoichiometric, but is only accurate enough outside of that to indicate that the mixture is simply richer or leaner than 14.7 and unable to provide accurate data as to how much it is rich or lean."

As for the OP.

Get another tuner, or just rent the dyno time and tune it yourself.