New Vlavetrain = burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New Vlavetrain = burning oil

I had just installed my new valve train

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...tall-pics.html

it was the first time i ever did a swap like that and i didnt know. nor was told about having to change Valve Steam Seals and i think its letting oil into the engine because theres a bit of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust all the time. i reused the old ones but they looked ok to me. could anything else be the cause of the burning oil ? i really dont want to pull it all apart again to change them out but if i have to i have to. any advice would be appreciated
Old 11-27-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same thing, swapped valve springs, used my old seals, and the new springs kept pulling my valve seals up. So I had to pull all the springs again and just went by Auto Zone and bought a set of Felpro Valve Seals, they went on alot tighter then the ones I had and havent came off since.
Good Luck Dude
Old 11-27-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by snk-huntr
I did the same thing, swapped valve springs, used my old seals, and the new springs kept pulling my valve seals up. So I had to pull all the springs again and just went by Auto Zone and bought a set of Felpro Valve Seals, they went on alot tighter then the ones I had and havent came off since.
Good Luck Dude
ahhh ****. thanks man. i was hoping it wasnt that but i guess i messed up. do you know what size they are ?
Old 11-28-2008, 03:31 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

If you pulled the seals off and then put them back on then... yeesh. I would say that is your problem...
Old 11-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
ahhh ****. thanks man. i was hoping it wasnt that but i guess i messed up. do you know what size they are ?
tell them year make model engine size of car and they will give you the correct ones for your car. make sure they are felpro
Old 11-28-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 95_transam_lt1
tell them year make model engine size of car and they will give you the correct ones for your car. make sure they are felpro
yeah i just ordered these last night

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

there the right part number through rockauto.com im still kicking myself in the *** :b ang: thanks for the replys guys!
Old 11-28-2008, 11:50 AM
11 Second Club

yeah that suck, oh gees did u pay 28$ for your seals? i just picked mine up at autozone for 21.xx after tax. just a heads up. looking at the application for those seals, they are for hummer and tahoes? not sure if that will make a difference?
Old 11-28-2008, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by strokin93z
yeah that suck, oh gees did u pay 28$ for your seals? i just picked mine up at autozone for 21.xx after tax. just a heads up. looking at the application for those seals, they are for hummer and tahoes? not sure if that will make a difference?
idc about the price. im so pissed off if i had to spend $100 on seals i would. its the same part # through rockauto which had it. it was specifically for the LT1 so ill see what i can do. ill pull one of the easier ones off and see how well it fits. shouldnt take me so long for just 1 lol this was the first time i did this tho so now i know
Old 11-28-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea with the FelPro's they fit really well, I used a socket the same diameter as the seal and just lightly tapped it with a small hammer untill I felt it bottom out. Just be careful not to break them.lol.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Hey you live and learn! Atleast you did the work yourself, most people would not tackle that job. Good Luck!
Old 11-29-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Hey you live and learn! Atleast you did the work yourself, most people would not tackle that job. Good Luck!
thanks. i did learn my lesson. and will never make that mistake again ill do one side at a time when the new seals come in hopefully monday. i just want to drive the car so bad!
Old 11-29-2008, 05:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

yep, sounds like a few seals (or all of the seals) were damaged when removing and re installing them.

Lloyd
Old 11-30-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Junkie

just curious. what kind of problems would i have for running the car with bad valve seals ? would i jus be burning oil or could i possibly damage something else ?
Old 11-30-2008, 09:52 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

burningh opil - steadily consuming oil and having to add oil or have less oil in pan possibly spinning bearing.

extre oil killing spark plugs, O2 sensors, clogging cats (if you have cats) coating walls of exhaust with oil residue, etc.

Oil has a REAL low octane rating and will lead to detonation causing more wear and abuse to rod/main bearings

Definitely tear it down and repair ASAP.

Lloyd
Old 11-30-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NightTrain66
burningh opil - steadily consuming oil and having to add oil or have less oil in pan possibly spinning bearing.

extre oil killing spark plugs, O2 sensors, clogging cats (if you have cats) coating walls of exhaust with oil residue, etc.

Oil has a REAL low octane rating and will lead to detonation causing more wear and abuse to rod/main bearings

Definitely tear it down and repair ASAP.

Lloyd
thank you very much for the rapid reponse. i drove it the day after and really didnt want to. ive fixed my impala which i was putting off because i didnt need it. so now i at least have that to drive around. i ordered the seals last week they should be here tomorrow *crosses fingers*

Quick Reply: New Vlavetrain = burning oil