Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque Arm research

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Arm research

So I'm doing some research on torque arms, I need one in a bad way. I have taken the liberty to post my signature with all my modifications listed (whether relevant or not).

2000 SS, Kooks LT, Kooks catted y, Magnaflow catback, MSD wires, LID w/K&N, Pro 5.0, LS7 clutch, 160 therm, SLP fan switch, SLP line lock, free mods, EGR/AIR delete, G2 LCA, G2 PHB, G2 SFC, G2 tunnel brace w/drive shaft loop, 4.10's, Eibach Prokit, KYB AGX's, 4.10's, Nitto Dr's

I've noticed that the BMR, UMI and Spohn torque arms with relocation feature seem to be quite similar in style. With the Spohn seeming to appear/look a little more heavy duty with the inner support on the arm.

I've also reviewed some short arm products and I really like them, but unsure if I could run them since they hang a lower with SFC and my car is definitely on the low side. The only company I've found with the short arm that would work is the GMS, but it's custom made, you have to remove the seats and center counsel to install, it takes a good bit of time to receive and it's pretty pricey ($400 plus shipping).

I like the Spohn with the extra material, but price is certainly an issue and with the recent sales announcement it appears I could get a decent deal right now on UMI or BMR.

So with the research I've done, I was also looking for some feedback on the long vs short and what product will suit my current needs and my future as it progresses (exhaust choice TD vs catback) and rear upgrade down the road.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

Im using the UMI Short Torque Arm, while it does hang a little low, i wouldnt see it being a problem, My LongTubes hang a little lower then the crossbrace. As far as performance, I dont really know, I went from a stock TQ arm,rear end and drag radials pulling 1.90s to the UMI, 9", and slicks and dropped to a 1.60, so not much feedback on the arm its self. Now the quality and strength of the UMI is impressive, pics dont do it justice till your holding its heavy *** in your hands.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:54 AM
Banned

i have used a spohn and a few others (on the side note i like DKT torque arm) but if you go to mad man racing site. there is a pic of a spohn torque arm he took off of a car that had bent.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:10 AM
12 Second Club

The long TQ arm is best for ground clearance and for about all dual exhaust. The short moves a cars instant center a little back and alot of people dont like the extra noise, and the where it bolts to. Ive had both, a SLP and a SPOHN. With the SLP I had a Yank relocation bracket. The bracket isnt needed unless you have very serious engine. There are alot of people running low 11 high 10 that have the trans mount. Same for the single exhaust.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the comments fella's, I don't have an issue with noise I have dounble spherical ended LCA and PHB that make noise.

As for the short arm, I do like them I just don't know about the amount of room I have.

Here are some shots of the car after I put the Eibach Prokit:

You can see the G2 tunnel brace hanging down in this pic.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-29-2008, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

the umi would clear, you would probably have 3in of clearance under the car..thats just my guess, might want to contract UMI and see if they have installed any on cars with the Eibach kit
Old 11-30-2008, 02:19 AM
TECH Addict

I am buying the UMI TQ Arm in a full lenght version with the Tranny relocation braket.

Reason is, short ones or tunnel mounted make noise and the Long ones or tranny mounted ones offer all around performance for drag racing and handling.
I choose the relocation bracket to keep my Performabuilt Lv 2 im installing soon alive
Old 11-30-2008, 03:15 AM
11 Second Club

its honestly not that noisy...Alot of people will put a rubber pad under the brace to cut down on the noise if its that bad
Old 11-30-2008, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Noise isn't really that big of an issue I have G2 double adjustable LCA's and PHB so they clank around and make enough noise as is.

Quick Reply: Torque Arm research