Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

ABS inop and brake light on after rear swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS inop and brake light on after rear swap

OK I did a search and found no help. I just put a complete rear from a 2002 in my 1998. My old set up was 3.42 and new rear has Richmond 4.10s. Both are 3 channel. We programmed it for the gears with HP tuners and the lights are still on. I used the sensor and all brakes and backing plates from the old rear, so anything related to the ABS should have been swapped over.

The abs inop light comes on imediately when I start the car up and never goes out. I have reset it 3 times and it comes on immediately after starting it up again.

Any ideas? Not effecting any driving that I can tell, but I havent had to lock em up yet either.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:59 AM
10 Second Club

Stupid question but when you take the back off the rear is the wheel bolted to the ring gear? And how does the magnet pickup look? I thought 4 channel was the 2 wheels on either rear axle tube and 3 channel was the toothed wheel inside the rear.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

The relucter wheel is in the pumpkin. The sensor mounts on top and there is only one and it plugs right into the same plug cluster as the fuel pump and all. I allready took that out and made sure it was clean and was not damaged during the swap, and it looks like new.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotta be a connection.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

What does the code read? If it comes on right away without driving it heres what pops into my head.

-Faulty Sensor
-Power/ground fault
Old 12-06-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can I read these codes with HPTuners?
Old 12-06-2008, 12:22 PM
10 Second Club

Alright when you said you used the brakes and backing plates that told me you had a 4 channel since it really doesn't matter besides the placement of the e-brake since the brakelines still reach to either a 3 - 4 channel. If the only things you touched were from the connection cluster back I'd say that either you have a bad connection, bad magnetic pickup, or messed up ring inside the pumpkin. Ohm the wiring harnes out and check the ring inside the pumpkin. If those both look good then I'd say you have a bad pickup magnet or you don't have it sitting flush on the top of the pumpkin.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kwiksilverz28
Can I read these codes with HPTuners?
Maybe, Im not familar with HP tuners so I can honestly say I do not know.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by pddye
Alright when you said you used the brakes and backing plates that told me you had a 4 channel since it really doesn't matter besides the placement of the e-brake since the brakelines still reach to either a 3 - 4 channel. If the only things you touched were from the connection cluster back I'd say that either you have a bad connection, bad magnetic pickup, or messed up ring inside the pumpkin. Ohm the wiring harnes out and check the ring inside the pumpkin. If those both look good then I'd say you have a bad pickup magnet or you don't have it sitting flush on the top of the pumpkin.
No, he has a 3 channel. He had to reuse his rear plates, necessitating the axle removal. The previous owner stole the plates for his new rear end.

I think it is the pickup magnet not being right or been damaged in install, but John says it looks like new.

If I can pull the codes with HPTuners, I will stop by his house tonite and do that......
Old 12-06-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by pddye

I mentioned it was a 3 channel in the first post, cause it doesnt make much sense to me. Not much to go bad here. I pulled out the sensor and cleaned it, the harness is only about 12" long and only 2 plugs, one on each end. It is flush on top of the pumpkin. The pickup looks perfect, as does the ring. It cant be the ring, or it would only come on after I drove it. It comes on immediately on starting it up.

Could I have triggered something by starting it up without hooking that up? I wanted to make sure the fuel pump worked before I installed the rear(I put a Racetronix pump in while I had the rear out). If so would this have triggered something that cant be cleared by disconnecting the battery??? If that is the case, how do I clear it??
Old 12-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

check the connections at he plug and ohm the sensor. a big 0 or infinate would be a dead giveaway to the sensor.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by boilertwinkie
check the connections at he plug and ohm the sensor. a big 0 or infinate would be a dead giveaway to the sensor.
I second that. If the light comes on with key on then its seeing either an open or shorted circuit.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Allready did that. I think the sensor must have just gone bad. What a coincidence. The harness measueres good. No idea.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

The first thing I would do would be to measure resistance on that sensor. If you don't have one, just swing by tomorrow. The second thing would be to take the car to AutoZone and let them read the codes, and then clear them. We need to get an OBD2 code reader. I may do that.....
Old 12-06-2008, 11:13 PM
11 Second Club

The OBD II Reading that autozone has won't read abs codes, You need to have a specific scan tool that has the capabilities of reading the abs module.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

i had a similar prob after doing a dyno run at a dyno day. check teh wiring harness connections every where. i unplugged and plugge dmine in and SHAZAAAAAM fixed. yes u can scan with HPT. go to teh scanner module. it steh lil lightening bolt looking guy on there as far as an icon wil look for it.

Quick Reply: ABS inop and brake light on after rear swap