Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Tachometer problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tachometer problem

1996 Z28

My tachometer is not reading. When the key is turned on (engine off), the needle moves up to the 0. When the engine is turned on, the tach does not move, stays at 0. All other guages work. When the key is turned off, the tach needle drops below 0 as it would normally. Where should I start?
Old 12-31-2008, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know on a LS1 if it's a Autometer you need to clip the brown & orange wires that are looped out the back of the tach to switch it to 4cyl mode to pick up the signal from the stock tach signal wire.

Not sure if it's the same on a LT1 or not but you might try it.

I know with my Autometer tach it moves the needle to where I have the shift light set to when the key is in the accessory position. Thats also when I can adjust it too. Then once I start the car it drops back down where it's supposed to be & reads properly.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll look at it. All of my guages are stock. It's a 4L60E tranny. I replaced all of the vacuum hoses on the tope end around the intake and when I was finished, I noticed my tach quit on me. I triple checked to make sure all of the sensors were plugged in where I did the hose replacements. I also checked all of the fuses. All of my other guages work so I don't think it's the instrument cluster unless it is the needle motor that is bad. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks.