Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Intake Manifold (Vette) Question - NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS6 Intake Manifold (Vette) Question - NEED HELP!

EDIT: HAS ANYONE REMOVED THE THREADED INSERTS FOR THE THROTTLE CABLE BRACKET BOLTS IN THEIR LS1 INTAKE MANIFOLDS??? IF YOU HAVE, PLEASE PM ME! Thank you very much!

Hey guys,

I've searched on the forum and read what I've found and it has helped a bit, but I'm wondering if people know where to find the metal threaded inserts that go into the mounting holes for the throttle cable bracket at the front of the intake manifold, right behind the throttle body. If anyone has any recommendations or info, that would be great! If you need me to elaborate further, please let me know if you think you have an idea of what I'm talking about.

On the LS6 intake manifolds from Vette's, there are no threaded metal inserts for the throttle cable bracket mounting bolts because the Vette's used fly-by-wire acceleration so there was no use of the throttle cable bracket. Please let me know any info you have. Thanks so much in advance for all of your help and feedback! It's really most appreciated.

-Craig

Last edited by WHIPSrx7; 01-06-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You should be able to use a helicoil in each hole. Helicoils can be purchased @ a machine shop supply store or maybe Summit, Jegs, Autozone. The head of the bolts that go there fit a 10mm socket. Am not sure what diameter bolt that make is, but it's around 4-5 mm. Just match the bolt size & threads to the helicoil. Bring the Manifold w/ you so that the helicoil & bolt combo can be confirmed.

Worst case, you may even be able to tap the nylon manifold for a 3/16" bolt or there abouts & then just be careful not to overtighten the throttle cable bracket; thereby stripping the threads.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Anyone know where I can find the metal inserts for the intake manifold???
Old 01-05-2009, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Try here. I don't know the size but I am sure they have it.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVS...00000079915732
Old 01-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Can anyone tell me if they drilled out any part of the hole in the LS6 manifold? I'm trying to figure out what size insert to get and I'm not having much luck. The size of the hole right now is just a little bit larger than what they have inserts sized for, which is 5/16 in. I've drawn a little cross-sectional view of the hole and am wondering if it would be okay for me to drill out the inner material in the hole? Someone please PM me so I can get this done. I'm really in a pinch and looking for some help, quickly. Thanks so much!

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
IM_Hole.bmp (222.1 KB, 122 views)
Old 01-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Teching In

HAS ANYONE REMOVED THE THREADED INSERTS FOR THE THROTTLE CABLE BRACKET BOLTS IN THEIR LS1 INTAKE MANIFOLDS??? IF YOU HAVE, PLEASE PM ME! Thank you very much!

ttt

Quick Reply: LS6 Intake Manifold (Vette) Question - NEED HELP!