Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

i think theres something missing from my car (pics of my project today)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default i think theres something missing from my car (pics of my project today)

well i didnt get pics of the seats in the car but removing them wasn't too tough

4 13mm bolts on each seat + an air hose and an electrical connection (thing i had the most trouble with)

the lower back seats are held in with 1 single 13mm bolt

the upper back seat has 4 T30 torx screws for the seat belts that i had to go get a socket for (i had a torx wrench set somewhere but couldnt find it and those things were really tight because they were lock tighted in)

finally there's the 2 13mm bolts that hold the back seat to the car

and what you're left with is this

for whatever reason the drivers seat is much heavier than the pass seat. is the motor for the bolsters and lumbar only under the drivers seat or something?
Old 01-06-2009, 04:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. Driver seat is a pig compared to the passanger due to the extra BS. Why exactly did you remove them? You doin a rear seat delete & new fronts?
Old 01-06-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Yep. Driver seat is a pig compared to the passanger due to the extra BS. Why exactly did you remove them? You doin a rear seat delete & new fronts?
nope. i'm recovering them. i ordered that $399 hsmpton vinyl kit from hawks 3rd gen parts and a new drivers side upper foam pad since mine is clearly torn under where the bolster leather is missing.

i'm going for a stock look with the dark graphite color and perforations and having a shop sew the plastic accordian pieces of my old seats into the new ones.. i don't know whether or not to have the upholstry shop do the dismantling of the front seats or do it myself. but before i can decide that i had to get the seats out of the car

the upholstry should be here in 2-3 weeks (my car is in the garage for the winter. i am not going to be driving it around seatless, lol)

as i'm typing this i just received an email notification about a fed ex shipment that was sent today..since hawks only processed my order yesterday (made it on the 25th) and its a 2-4 week delivery since they are custom, i'm assuming its the new upper drivers seat pad i ordered from gm parts direct on christmas day.

i decided to do all of them insted of having a shop just do the drivers seat because the top of the back seat leather is splitting and the pass seat has a small rip in the leather on the lower part

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 01-06-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Should look good with the new seats.

I remember doing that in the spring, but it was to clean the car, since I just bought it.

I found about $5, and two (unused) condoms that expired in 2002
Old 01-06-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
Should look good with the new seats.

I remember doing that in the spring, but it was to clean the car, since I just bought it.

I found about $5, and two (unused) condoms that expired in 2002

better 2 unused ones than this.....

http://new.wavlist.com/movies/322/tbb-onesoil.wav

(from The Blues Brothers)

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 01-06-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had to do that once. the one and only time i ordered take out in the SS a container containing fajitas cracked and dumped fajitas all over the rear seats and carpet. had to take out all seats and shampoo multiple times to get the smell out end/
Old 01-07-2009, 02:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

hell... another 15 screws/bolts you could go ahead and get new carpet too....

you can get enough carpet to do the whole car for around 35 bucks from local parts store.. and will save you some weight too..
Old 01-07-2009, 04:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

time to throw in the lazy boy
Old 01-07-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lemons12
hell... another 15 screws/bolts you could go ahead and get new carpet too....

you can get enough carpet to do the whole car for around 35 bucks from local parts store.. and will save you some weight too..
15 screws? just those side ones?

i thought carpet was more like 300. if i was going to get new carpet i'd either order it from year one or the dealer for an oem look
Old 01-07-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea...you should look into new carpet and floor mats...you'll love it all said and done
Old 01-07-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by The Batman
yea...you should look into new carpet and floor mats...you'll love it all said and done

i cleaned the carpet. it didnt come out perfect but its better than it was. now if i could just get the drivers seat apart. i'm stuck at 2 different places. 1 being the buttons for the bolster,lumbar. i got the round housing out of the trim but i can't get it disconnected so the trim is kind of just hanging there next to the seat cause i can't separate it with the cables for the seat being there, the other problem is the litle clip on the side of the top of the seat. i got the rest of the screws for the plastic backing off but i can't get those 2.

and here's 2 pics of the cleaned carpet

Old 01-07-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Carpet can come alot cleaner than that.If that's all you could do call a mobile detailer in your area.jfyi.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sstg
Carpet can come alot cleaner than that.If that's all you could do call a mobile detailer in your area.jfyi.
that was with about 2 hrs worth of using 2 different cleaners.. i guess i'm not really good at cleaning carpet.

i went over the carpet first with one of those foam cleaning sprays and then vacuumed it out like it directed me to do after waiting about 45 minutes, then i notioced i missed a few stains and went back over them with this woolite stain remover stuff i have. i thought it came out alright. i wasn't expecting it to come out looking new.. the coke stain that someone pointed out in one of my original pics is at least 5 years old since i don't drink in the car..

i did not clean the floormats and they really don't look that bad, they just look weird in photos
Old 01-07-2009, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop

I think once you're done with your car's seats, you might want to pay some attention to the sofa...just messing with ya'
Old 01-07-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by PERFECT Z28
I think once you're done with your car's seats, you might want to pay some attention to the sofa...just messing with ya'

ive been getting a lot of that lately... that isnt my sofa. it's my dads. i'm living at his house. my parents bought those sofa's sometime in the mid 70s and they were the living room sofa's that we never got to sit on as kids. thats why they still exist and aren't all torn up
Old 01-07-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
15 screws? just those side ones?

i thought carpet was more like 300. if i was going to get new carpet i'd either order it from year one or the dealer for an oem look
sorry for late response...

since you already have most things out..

all you have to do is take out the side screws, the ones that hold the plastic pieces down to hold the carpet.. and the middle console out...

it should only take about 10 minutes to pull the carpet out...

i dont like the stock carpet colors... i went with black from autozone.. spent about 35 bucks on the carpet, and 10 bucks on spray adhesive to keep it all down...

i think it looks 50X's better..

and yes, if you buy the pre molded carpet crap it is like 300.. thats stupid in my opinion, you can do the same thing for a fraction of the cost.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
sorry for late response...

i dont like the stock carpet colors... i went with black from autozone.. spent about 35 bucks on the carpet, and 10 bucks on spray adhesive to keep it all down...

i think it looks 50X's better..

and yes, if you buy the pre molded carpet crap it is like 300.. thats stupid in my opinion, you can do the same thing for a fraction of the cost.
any pics i wanna see this 35 dollar carpet job
Old 01-07-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

couple things. Was it really easy to remove ALL the seats? I have never taken anyhting out of my interior... I am considering doing this to clean my carpet. Even though my car is an 02 with 47K on it and it is not a DD. there has been NO food/drinks in my car EVER. I am the only one ever in my car, occasionly the wife will join me but that is it.

Maybe you should look into this thread. you are pratically there already

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...tall-pics.html
Old 01-07-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
couple things. Was it really easy to remove ALL the seats? I have never taken anyhting out of my interior... I am considering doing this to clean my carpet. Even though my car is an 02 with 47K on it and it is not a DD. there has been NO food/drinks in my car EVER. I am the only one ever in my car, occasionly the wife will join me but that is it.

Maybe you should look into this thread. you are pratically there already

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...tall-pics.html
eh, my car still has stock exhaust and isn't really noisy. it also is not a DD, and i dont eat or drink in it, but the previous owner did i'm sure since i found a few coke stains.

as for removing the seats, it wasnt too bad.. the hardest part for me actually was getting the electrical connector under the pass seat disconnected. i had to ask someone how to do it. i know it had one of those squeeze the 2 pieces together while also pushing down on a clip things but i didn't see the orange safety clip that prevented you from doing this without taking the clip out first. once i posted a pic online and asked for help someone mentioned this. (i did the pass seat first because i thought it'd be harder to get out of the car in the garage, the drivers was actually worse because it was heavier and i had about the same room, with the door only able to open 2/3 of the way, thank god for t-tops)

you need a T30 Torx and a 13mm socket and ratchet. i had to go buy a T30 socket for my ratchet because i didnt have one. the T30's are for the 4 bolts on the back of the top of the back seat that hold the seat belt on there. everything else is 13mm. the 4 bolts holding each front seat in, 1 13mm bolt per rear lower seat (on the front of them) and 1 13mm bolts holding the upper back seat in place (getting a ratchet in this area was a bit tricky) i'd take out the front seats first, then the lower rear seats then the upper rear seat, although i took out my lower rear seats while waiting for instuctions on how to remove the electrical connection, i had already removed all the bolts for the front seats. the lower rear is cake. that one bolt and then you just pull them out

now i'm in the process of disassembling the drivers seat and i'm to a point where i might have to wait for the new upholstery to come in or find some way to cut the hog rings (the new upholstry is supposed to come with hog rings and plyers). i suppose i can still remove the seat from the frame and remove the top from the bottom. what i dont know about is the cables that appear to be running from the bottom of the seat to the top and how to remove the headrest. i think someone mentioned there is a clip you need to remove but since i havent removed the upholstery from the top part of the seat i can't see the clip.

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 01-07-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jsteele90
any pics i wanna see this 35 dollar carpet job
no pics right now.. i can take some tomorrow and get them up...

it looks a lot better than you would think..

i like it better than stock..

a buddy of mine didnt even spray his down.. he just laid it in there and put his seats in... (race car).. and you cant even tell he didnt glue it down..