LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

accel thruster dfi... any good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Default accel thruster dfi... any good?

its a ton cheaper then a bs3 or FAST computer. These new are only $1k. But will it work for my '94? Doesnt say it works with a opti, dist. but it will run a ls1 style, can i convert to coil/cylinder and run it maby?

http://www.jegs.com/p/DFI/981841/10002/-1
Old 01-09-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
its a ton cheaper then a bs3 or FAST computer. These new are only $1k. But will it work for my '94? Doesnt say it works with a opti, dist. but it will run a ls1 style, can i convert to coil/cylinder and run it maby?

http://www.jegs.com/p/DFI/981841/10002/-1
You would probably need a custom crank trigger setup, but I don't see why it wouldn't after that.

Once you add all the "little things" though I could see it nickle-and-diming you to death.

There is a company that makes a plug and play megasquirt system, with computer and harness that works with opti powered LT1s, but its $1.5K for the drop in kit. It can also fire LS1 coils and delete the opti with a few more pieces. Its name escapes me but I have it bookmarked on my home pc if you want me to PM it(I don't think they are sponsors).
Old 01-09-2009, 06:32 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been talking about this with my VW buddy, he is picking it up for his bug. The system looks pretty solid.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmm, scroll down a bit...
Ignition Capability: The system can run 11 different ignition systems.
- GM HEI
- FORD TFI
- IPU-Honda VTEC
- PU with Cam Sync
- Hall Effect
- Hall Effect with Cam Sync (DFI Dual Sync)
- Optispark
- Buick GN V6
- GM LS1 - LS6
- Ignition Coil -Neg. (Fuel ONLY)
- Custom
It says that it can run the optispark ignition system, but there is no optispark ignition harness listed, just the L98, LS1, Hall, etc. I wonder if they offer an opti harness adapter from accel that just is not listed on Jegs.

Would be a killer value for LT1 guys if it worked with the factory ignition using just a different ignition harness, and allowed us to upgrade to a coil system down the road while using the same system.

**edit** Lol after adding the "optional" parts needed for a street car like fan control, torque convertor lockup, and knock sensor capabilities the price is not so appealing anymore
Old 01-10-2009, 12:25 AM
TECH Veteran

WHy do you feel like you need this?

You can go quick on stock electronics.

Ed Wright went low 10's NA

Brian(Ou812z28) went 9.90's NA

I am on stock electronics and Opti.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Just been reading a lot of how shitty the obd1 comps are. And if i still want to use mine i need to buy a $600 harness (dont ask) OR invest that $600 into a better computer and dont waste my money. Its more of a delima thing then wanting to upgrade.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Just been reading a lot of how shitty the obd1 comps are. And if i still want to use mine i need to buy a $600 harness (dont ask) OR invest that $600 into a better computer and dont waste my money. Its more of a delima thing then wanting to upgrade.

You cant find a used harness? Or repair yours? WHat happened to it?

I am on OBD1
Old 01-10-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Veteran

well i started cutting it and making it a racecar harness and cut a lot of stuff out and come to realize and find out a lot of the wires tie in with a lot of other things. So John at Speartech makes new harness's with only the bare minimum i need to run the engine. Or im sure he can fix mine but that prob be around $450 so still a little pricey. So im weighing out my options here and seen that computer and for a few extra bucks i can get a lot better computer ya know. Or i just say **** all the computer stuff and run a carb on it and a th350. But good for me i still need to finish up my roller first before i start that project so i still have a little time to figure it out.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Look into the ignition end of it before you decide. Might be a nice way to get past the LT1 pcm rpm limitations and wideband integration would be sweet.

Were you planning on a th350 regardless? If 4L60E then I think repairing the factory system would be the cheapest easiest way to go.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Look into the ignition end of it before you decide. Might be a nice way to get past the LT1 pcm rpm limitations and wideband integration would be sweet.

Were you planning on a th350 regardless? If 4L60E then I think repairing the factory system would be the cheapest easiest way to go.
yea, if i sell my 4l60 i am but obviously if i dont im gonna use it. It would be nice to ditch the opti and run a dist. with my 6al, then the motor would be run like any gen1 motor with FI. But then it would be nice.... "heres $600 and im DONE!" Like i said, i have time to figure it out so well see. On a side note, he did say i can run a 96-97 obd2 computer with my harness for better tuning capabilities
Old 01-10-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Upgrading to an aftermarket system is probably the best LT1 mod that you can do. For drag racing the opti is fine. I run a crank trigger on mine but have also used the factory sensor in the past with great success. You really don't need the wideband. I run my Formula Alpha-N and the kids car will be run open loop.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Veteran

so does anyone know if i can get rid of the opti all together? Run a dist. off my 6al? Wouldnt it kinda turn the lt1 into "like" a gen1 FI motor? Basic stripped down lt1? I cant see why it wouldnt work?
Old 01-11-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

so does anyone know if i can get rid of the opti all together? Run a dist. off my 6al? Wouldnt it kinda turn the lt1 into "like" a gen1 FI motor? Basic stripped down lt1? I cant see why it wouldnt work?
You can convert the LT1 intake to run a rear distributor. Or you can run the GM Performance parts dual plane intake with a Holley (would not have any issues until probably mid tens). You could also convert to a belt drive distributor. Or you could convert most any SBC open plenum intake to run either fuel injection or a carb.

If you are going to run a rear location distributor it would be a good idea to cut out the bulge below the cowl to allow easy access (would be pretty easy where you are at with your car right now).

That said, the easiest thing to run for tens is the stock intake and an optispark. Spend all that money on an aftermarket computer and you actually have a mod that you won't have to change as you build bigger, better motor combinations. If you run N/A I can help you with your maps.

Take Care,

Daren
Old 01-11-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Veteran

so buy a better computer then this one your saying, or buy this computer? I like buying things once and have it for anything i do (like my fab9, over kill now but will last me into the 7's, lol). Its eaither i run a carb/dist. or buy a new computer. Id buy this one if i knew for sure it would work, seems like a good computer...no? I just cant seem to sell myself on a bigstuff3 or FAST for $2500

Or i can have Speartech make me a new harness for $600 and use a OBD2 computer, be a little better and would be able to tune it a lot eaiser.

The eaisest thing for me is to ditch the opti, buy a dist., mod my intake for a dist. and be done with it. Then send my intake and heads to AI to have them ported.

I seen your car rewired with a new computer, looks awsome. good job!

Last edited by Taubr Unit; 01-11-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

so buy a better computer then this one your saying, or buy this computer? I like buying things once and have it for anything i do (like my fab9, over kill now but will last me into the 7's, lol). Its eaither i run a carb/dist. or buy a new computer. Id buy this one if i knew for sure it would work, seems like a good computer...no? I just cant seem to sell myself on a bigstuff3 or FAST for $2500
I have had the GEN 6 and GEN 7 DFI as well as the FAST (grey box). The GEN 7 and FAST are better than the GEN 6, but I have not seen any performance gains from the GEN 7 to the FAST. I would say that this one would be just fine. I really like the Accell software.

Or i can have Speartech make me a new harness for $600 and use a OBD2 computer, be a little better and would be able to tune it a lot eaiser.
To me that is throwing good money at bad.

The eaisest thing for me is to ditch the opti, buy a dist., mod my intake for a dist. and be done with it. Then send my intake and heads to AI to have them ported.
Why do you hate the opti so much? I have had zero opti failures.

I seen your car rewired with a new computer, looks awsome. good job!
Thanks!
Old 01-11-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Veteran

ok, so you seem to know your electronics, do you think the accel computer will work then? I dont have a issue with my opti, i just dont want to, more of a preventive maintenance thing also. And i dont really want to go with a stock computer but it would just be easy to buy a $600 harness and id be all done with no issues... easy way out.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

ok, so you seem to know your electronics, do you think the accel computer will work then? I dont have a issue with my opti, i just dont want to, more of a preventive maintenance thing also. And i dont really want to go with a stock computer but it would just be easy to buy a $600 harness and id be all done with no issues... easy way out.
The benefits to the aftermarket units are worth the extra. Engine management only, easy tune changes, no rpm limits......

Other things that you need to address would include an aftermarket ignition (carb or fuel injection), a decent coil, and do you want a crank trigger (As I said before, I had good luck with the factory optical sensor). Good maintenance on the opti would be to replace the cap and rotor.

You may be able to find someone who can sell you a good used GEN 7 or FAST set-up.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Veteran

You can with a carb. GM makes a block off plate for the opti. RUns just like any carb engine then.

I dont know why you are so scared of the EFI you have. My opti has seen 7000 rpm about100 times. All I did was Loctite the rotor screws.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Im not scared of the EFI, id rather keep it then go carbed. I dont mind keeping the opti eaither as long as the thruster unit works with it like it says it does.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you plan to keep the rev limiter at or under 7,000 rpm and don't plain on going boosted i would just use the stock computer. If not go aftermarket. That's how i look at it.

Quick Reply: accel thruster dfi... any good?