Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARH + Corsa = Poor Fit

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARH + Corsa = Poor Fit

My Corsa cat back fit just fine on the stock Y pipe. I installed the headers and and Y pipe and now the Corsa I pipe will not fit. I have everything fully seated and have even removed all the piping back to the Corsa muffler. It is now clear to me that about 3/4" length needs to come off the I pipe to accomidate the longer ARH Y.

Never ceases to amaze me that $1300 worth of aftermarket parts need modification to fit properly.

Additionally, ARH came with no instructions at all. For 1300 bones would have been nice to have had "best approach" guidance from the manufacturer.

Hindsight: Should have bought $300 pacesetters and wrestled with those instead of $1300 ARH.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

No header can fit perfect, every car is different. And having to remove a little of the I-pipe seems very miniscule to me. I'd rather have to do that then notch the cross member or something.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

yay pacesetter
Old 01-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by aerotest
My Corsa cat back fit just fine on the stock Y pipe. It is now clear to me that about 3/4" length needs to come off the I pipe to accomidate the longer ARH Y. Never ceases to amaze me that $1300 worth of aftermarket parts need modification to fit properly.
As you note with your Corsa, aftermarket catbacks are designed to fit the stock Y. Aftermarket Y's - esp. the ARH with a good merge - are not built to the dimensions of the stock Y. Nor are they going to neck down to 2.75" like stocker. Cut your I, make it fit, and be happy that you have great flowing system from the head to the tailpipe.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
As you note with your Corsa, aftermarket catbacks are designed to fit the stock Y. Aftermarket Y's - esp. the ARH with a good merge - are not built to the dimensions of the stock Y. Nor are they going to neck down to 2.75" like stocker. Cut your I, make it fit, and be happy that you have great flowing system from the head to the tailpipe.
Good advice. When you mix aftermarket parts together, not everything is going to work together.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i noticed that my arh y was longer than my tsp y as well. it was harder to get my catback on it. what i really do not like about the gmmg that i have is that it is only a two piece system (one pipe running from the y to the muffer and then the muffler). it is kind of hard, especially if you do the work by yourself like i do. it can be done though. my pacesetters that i had before fit the car really well. they slid in easier than my larger 1 7/8 american racing headers but i need stainless for the looks.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:07 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

I'm sorry you are having a tough time. I'm suprised about the no instructions thing,you could of called the shop and we would have E-mailed or faxed them to you. I'm not saying you did'nt do everything right on your install but are you sure the the y-pipe is seated as far forward as possible on the headers sometimes they are very stubborn. Next time before you bring it to the board call the company they may be able to help you make your job easier. Not all catbacks are created equal so we have to accomadate every situation. believe me it's easier to cut 3/4" than come up 3/4" short. If you have any other problems PM me or call the shop directly 631-608-1986
Old 01-18-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tom@ARH
I'm sorry you are having a tough time. I'm suprised about the no instructions thing,you could of called the shop and we would have E-mailed or faxed them to you. I'm not saying you did'nt do everything right on your install but are you sure the the y-pipe is seated as far forward as possible on the headers sometimes they are very stubborn. Next time before you bring it to the board call the company they may be able to help you make your job easier. Not all catbacks are created equal so we have to accomadate every situation. believe me it's easier to cut 3/4" than come up 3/4" short. If you have any other problems PM me or call the shop directly 631-608-1986
This isn't a problem with the ARH system. The Corsa cat back I pipe is larger in diameter than the stock I pipe merge at the connection interface. The Corsa I pipe portion slides OVER the stock I pipe connection and clamps down on the exhaust end of the stock merge.
My Corsa fit the same way, all you have to do is take it to a machine shop and have them cut the 3/4" off the end.
Sounds like you had ARH leave the end of the merge at 3" ID and they didn't neck it down to the stock I pipe diameter. If this is the case then after you have the 3/4" removed from the Corsa I pipe you will still need to take it to an exhaust shop and have them expand the opening to fit the 3" ID diameter, if not - then the Corsa I pipe will still be necked down to the stock size if only removing 3/4"
of length. Once I had this done I only needed a butt type clamp to secure the connection.
Your second alternative is to just take it to an exhaust shop, and have them over swedge the Corsa I pipe end till its I.D. is a slip fit over the OD of the ARH 3" merge end. Get a good band clamp and tighten it down. It will fit just as it did before and you won't have to saw it at all.
I chose not to follow the 2nd method because the end of the Corsa had already been necked down to stock size and I was afraid if I swedged it back up and over-sized it to fit - it would split the tubing.

Good luck.

Last edited by Weezzer; 01-19-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Corsa exhaust systems are by far some of the worst fitting systems out there. They sound AMAZING though, and most of the time it is worth the all the BS you have to do to get them to fit and line up right. Be thankful you have an F-body and not a C5, as there is twice as much to get to fit with a C5.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by aerotest
Hindsight: Should have bought $300 pacesetters and wrestled with those instead of $1300 ARH.
I'm sorry, but that's the biggest load of horseshit I've heard in a long time. What the hell kinda directions did you want?

1. Take off all of your old ****
2. Put on the new ****
3. Don't be discouraged if things don't fit perfectly

You are dealing with aftermarket parts. Nothing is going to fit perfectly no matter how much you spend. If that's going to be your attitude toward modding your car, you'd better stop now before you get really pissed. You'd **** yourself if you'd seen half the **** I've done to get stuff to work out on my car, but in the end, it all worked out just fine.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I'm sorry, but that's the biggest load of horseshit I've heard in a long time. What the hell kinda directions did you want?

2. Put on the new ****

You are dealing with aftermarket parts. Nothing is going to fit perfectly no matter how much you spend. If that's going to be your attitude toward modding your car, you'd better stop now before you get really pissed. You'd **** yourself if you'd seen half the **** I've done to get stuff to work out on my car, but in the end, it all worked out just fine.
I wouldn't go quite that far - it just takes a LOT more effort to buy parts that fit up fine. I've spent weeks picking on things to find which parts won't require cutting/welding/etc. And I expect some directions too for recommended methods/attachments/etc, as well as what gasket to use/etc.

Some of us haven't been around doing this forever - I don't have the foggiest clue how to install headers, or how to even begin to attach them to an exhaust system. I'm willing to follow directions and learn though.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2. Put on the new ****

+1... Seriously quit your whining and take care of it. Not everything goes perfectly smooth during an install, and that's not to say it's anyone's fault (ARH, corsa, GM, or yours..) it's just the way it goes. That's why shops can charge big money to install mods - because not everyone is cut out to do it.

for the record.. I am very happy of the fitment of my ARH
Old 01-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Internet Mechanic

I have never met an exhaust that fit correctly the 1st shot, they ALL need some ****** with, the issue is most installers (mainly people who do-it-themselves) do not have the tools or knowledge to make these needes cuts, welds, and flares.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

My ARH's fit well and went in easily - considering that they are the 1 7/8s. Most find the 1 3/4 slide in easily. It required some K notching and poly motor mounts to stop the banging. This is all part of the game. That's why I hired a competent shop (LMR) to do it. If you don't want problems, keep it stock. When you mod ****, you're going to uncover problems. When you get it right, it sure is nice though.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

2. Put on the new ****

Ohh man i laughed my *** off at this post. Hell for that matter i wish the transmission i bought came with instructions on how to go from an auto to a manual. Good times though. Still laughing about this
Old 01-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Teching In

No need to be an *******...just don't read my threads if you feel the need to take it personal.

2. Put on the new ****

Old 01-20-2009, 08:20 AM
Staging Lane

My ARHs fit wonderfully with my GMMG catback. No instructions necessary, no modifications necessary.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:26 AM
Internet Mechanic

Oh and I have Dynatech Super Maxx kit mated to my Corsa. No issues at all except the corsa was short, not because of Corsa, the prev installer hacked it when it was mated to a stockish set up. I ended up having a stainless pipe redone for the over the axle section.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

unfortunately, we do not drive mustangs with GREAT fitting aftermarket exhaust, with 3 "standard' locations for shorty headers, Y pipe to catback, and catback sections, All using ball flanges, and fitting correctly.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tom@ARH
believe me it's easier to cut 3/4" than come up 3/4" short.
Ain't that the truth!

A hacksaw will go right through that exhaust pipe with a little elbow grease.