Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Put forged rods/pistons in my stock LS2 or buy a shortblock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Put forged rods/pistons in my stock LS2 or buy a shortblock?

I am at a crossroads now. I'm going to have a shop custom build me a turbo kit for my 05 GTO that will have a TC78 and a A2A intercooler. I don't even want to mess with leaving the engine stock and trying to run low boost.

So what I'm debating now is if I should pull my motor and have a local shop do the machine work and put in forged rods and pistons. Or should I just buy a forged shortblock from a sponsor?

I was planning on Callies Compstar rods, but I'm not sure on whose piston holds up best to boost? What rings for a daily driver as well?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If money is not an object, then buy the built block and just swap them, and then you can turn around and sell the stocker and make sum of ur money back. Personally i would build the aluminum block you have. Nothings wrong with it! With the right internals it will make more power than u can use on the street. Props for not trying to see how far u can go on the stock block. THats what i did and she gave up at 10 psi about 650whp .. it was lovely. Im gonna run the same power again, but with forged diamond pistons and eagle rods. I have steel top rings also btw...
Old 01-18-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've already blown up a WRX when my electronic boost controller gave me a 25psi boost spike. Then I got an Evo and detonated it real bad. Didn't blow up but ran worse afterword. So I traded it in, lol. I've learned my lesson.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

yeah i had an evo too. it had already been to hell and back when i got it used. The more i modded the more i figured out she wasnt right, traded her for the goat. I'll never buy used again.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

A couple of things. Diamond coated pistons are excellent for what you are doing. Your block should be good, (I put a DM Performance stainless girdle in mine) to 600-750 for everyday playing around. The stock crank should be good, (get it balanced with your new goods). Line hone the block to make it true. Lots of choices on rings, (I used HellFire), and do your homework on a machinist! Heads are important and should flow to match your cam, compression, and turbo, (this is where you spend a little money). I'm very happy with what Carry did at ETP, (or Perf. Inductions, now). I went with King Alecular bearings for their crush strength, (5X's vs. most perf bearings), altho a turbo doesn't pound the motor like lots of N20, so you can save a little here. Personally, I like to build my own, but today there are so may great choices, I can see why your in a quandry. I wish you luck and hope you post the results soon.

Quick Reply: Put forged rods/pistons in my stock LS2 or buy a shortblock?